Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #1
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
Yellowstone Natl. Park

We'll planning a trip to Yellowstone National Park in the middle of August. Would like any advice on any decent campgrounds around that area. Peferably around the southern entrance. We will be meeting up with our son and granddaugthers coming from the Des Moines area. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:11 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Lydia,

I do not recall any CGs near the southern entrance. Yellowstone is a huge park and there is a lot of driving involved. I suppose the closest CG would be Fishing Bridge and it is actually near the East entrance. We drove through the CG and it is a nice one. The Full Hook up area is relatively small and you are pretty close to each other. But it is not too bad. I'm sure you'll need to get reservations for August.

Actually the most CGs are in West Yellowstone. There are several in town and all are OK. The nicest one is probably Grizzly RV park. It is new and very nice. A bit pricey but is probably worth it. If I remember correctly Parrothead stayed there last year and can give you a lot of info on it. We stayed at a little park on the west side of town. It think it was called the Wagon Wheel or some such thing. When I first saw it I didn't think we'd be able to even get the rig into the park. But as it turned out we ended up with a spot that was very easy to get into. I would stay there again.

There are some CGs actually in the park but they have no hookups and I think they are a bit small for our rigs.

Yellowstone is an outstanding park and I think it may be my favorite. I think I could spend each summer there and still never see all that is there. You will see more wildlife than you would think possible! It is awesome. Enjoy!

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
We stayed just outside in West Yellowstone a few years back. Found it better to get up early, drive into the park to see what we could see and then get back to the campground before the crowds started. It really is crowded these days and kind of disappointing compared to how it used to be, but it's still beautiful if you've never been there. I don't remember the name but there are a few of them I believe (my wife just said she thought it was a KOA, but I don't remember that).

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 03:31 PM   #4
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
Most of the campgrounds that will have hookups are located outside the park. Only the Fishing Bridge campground has full hookups within the park. Pahaska Tepee to the east entrance near Cody might be a place to check. West Yellowstone has the Grizzly Park and a KOA outside of town towards Idaho. The North Entrance has a place on RT 89 called River's Edge RV park on the banks of the Yellowstone river, about 35 minutes from the park and really pretty.
Good luck,
t
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
In the summer of 2005 we spent a few days at Red Rock RV Park near Island Park, Idaho. We enjoyed being out in the great open country, including a delightful youth rodeo just down the road from the park. It is about 20 miles from the West entrance, but very reasonably priced and now, I believe, has free WIFI.

Steve and Vicki Reigle stayed there a week or so after we had left. They stayed several weeks and could tell you even more about the park. Maybe he'll pass by this way before too long.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 06:43 AM   #6
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Flagg Ranch Resort is located right at the south entrance to Yellowstone between Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park.

http://www.flaggranch.com/camping.html

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I also recommend Red Rock RV park north and west of Island Park, Id. It is about 17 miles from the West entrance to Yellowstone. We stayed there last year and the price was about $25/night. Does have WiFi. It is about 5 mile from the main road and nothing but mountains and meadow and a large lake within .5 mile. Beautiful, quiet setting. Not much for kids to do though.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Hi Lydia. Haven't seen you on here in awhile. We enjoyed meething you two at the Mt. Shasta rally last year.

Like Padre, we enjoyed Red Rock Rv Park. It's nice and quiet and free wifi, as he said. Nobody gets a cell signal out there, though, or didn't when we were there. Nor tv unless you have satellite. We stayed there a month and really enjoyed it. The only drawback is it's something like 17 or 23 miles to the west gate. If that's not a problem, then I'd highly recommend Red Rock.

If you go to Red Rock, take a drive going west from the park. Just a scenic exploration type drive. And watch for moose and other animals between the park and the main highway. We sat and watched a momma moose and her little one for ten or fifteen minutes. Friends emailed us that the day after we left a bull moose sauntered through our park, right next to our site, on his way to Henry's Lake. Unfortunately we didn't see a bull moose.

On the south end, you'd probably have to go down to Jackson Hole to find a park.

In any case, there is so much to see in Yellowstone. I hope you enjoy it immensely.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:32 PM   #9
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
Thanks everyone for your quick response. We really appreciate all of your suggestions. We're kind of leaning towards the Flagg Ranch Campground because Tim really wants to see the Tetons and it might be convenient to be right in between both sites. Who knows? We might not even be able to get reservations at this late date. If not, there's Henry's and Redrock we could try. Again thanks alot for everything.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:57 AM   #10
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Lydia, There is a park east of Moran junction if you can't get in Flagg Ranch. It is acually just down the road from Flagg. 6 miles from Moran Jct. Its Grand Teton Park RV Resort. www.yellowstonerv.com I stayed in their little cabins while hunting the area a few years ago. Great views and lots of wildlife in the area if you know where to look.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:11 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lydia, if you can't get in between Yellowstone and the Tetons, it's not that bad a drive for a day trip to go see the Grand Tetons. We did that from Red Rock. We went through Yellowstone and out the south end. After the Grand Tetons we drove on down to Jackson Hole, then west across the mountains and back to Red Rock along the backside of the mountains.

http://geocities.com/stevereigle/2005_Index.htm - September 12 and 14 postcards.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:01 AM   #12
lmurphy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2328
That sounds like a great plan. We'll have our son and granddaughters (ages 10 and 8) for about 4 days. After they head home we'll be free to do some scouting around on our own. The Grand Tetons is something Tim would enjoy touring. He's really into wooded areas and wildlife and would appreciate a quiet setting.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #13
Monty06

M.O.C. #5839
We stayed for a week at Fishing Bridge and had a wonderful time! We took a one day bus tour, which I highly recommend, to see and learn about the area so we could venture out on our own the rest of the time. The sites were closer together than I like, but it was not a problem. Be very careful if you drive after dark- auto v Bison accidents. Their eyes do not reflect red in headlights. We went up from the South through Jackson Hole and came out through the east and spent some time a Cody. Great museum there, along with the rodeo.
Monty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 04:11 AM   #14
werhapy
Established Member

M.O.C. #4439
Another south entrance option is Coulter Bay Village RV park in Grand Teton NP. The park reservations are through the park consession Xantera 800 628 9988 We're planning to be there in early July. We are north of the park now at Rivers Edge. We love Yellowstone and stayed ar Fishing Bridge as our first stay in the Montana roling condo. Hope that you have a great time there. If you can plan the time to walk off the main roads the park opens up for you and gets better with each visit.
werhapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 06:20 AM   #15
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We stayed at Fishing Bridge in September of 2006. It was great! Yes it is back-ins but our 3475 fit very well with a F-350 Long bed. August is the peak of the season for Yellowstone--get a reservation. I entered the park via the south entrance and it as a nice drive--no mountain passes. We also stayed at Colter Bay in Grand Teton--great RV Park. You can see photos of both at our trip journal--http://goodsamclub.mytripjournal.com/millingtontravel
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote