Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
About to start Long-Timing :)

I've been pipelining for almost a decade. I started out traveling around in a Bonneville, staying in hotels. Then I got a Jeep and a 20' Terry Taurus (which was totaled within an hour of being on the road the first time after we remodeled it). After that I stayed back in hotels for a while, and only worked half the year (that's really all I needed to work, because my wife worked full time, and I made as much in a few months). When my wife had our son, we decided that she would prefer to stay at home with him, and I'd like to get back out on the road full-time (well, at least most of the year). I got a 30' Gulfstream with no slides, and thought that would be fine for the 3 of us. Needless to say it wasn't. My son was learning to walk, we were all tripping over each other, and the bathroom was making me claustrophobic. When I got laid off for the winter I sold the GS, and set about looking for a "long timing" rig. First I dropped my Dodge Ram 1500 QC with the tiny 4.7, and picked up a Silverado 3500 DRW with an 8.1l and an Allison transmission. Confident that we now had a vehicle with enough rear end to pull whatever rig we could possibly find, we made a checklist of requirements:
#1. King sized bed (very important, because I'm a big guy, and my tiny wife needs space)
#2. A large living area (we spend our evenings watching movies, and playing with our son on the floor, and don't want to feel cramped)
#3. Large shower/leg room at the commode (Refer back to the "I'm a big guy" comment)
#4. Washer/Dryer (My wife hates trips to the laundry mat)
#5. Free standing dinette (I personally hate booths... being a big guy and all)
#6. Large amounts of storage space (Long timing requires we carry multiple seasons of clothes, and the ability to store even seldom used tools, and appliances)
#7. Floor space (I simply hate feeling cramped)
#8. Sealed underbelly (5ers in the winter... well, you all know)

I had been drooling over a Mobile Suites front living model that was on CL for sale for nearly $90k, which was 3 times what I wanted to spend. I just happened to have refreshed CraigsList at the moment a local business owner posted a barely used 2010 3750FL for sale. I was the first to write him, and the only one to look at it. My wife and I set a maximum we would offer, but when we walked in, we knew we had to have it. He insisted he couldn't/wouldn't budge from his $38k price tag, and despite us saying $32 was as low as we could go we bought it anyway. Best of all, the floor plan was almost exactly the same as the MS, at less than half the price.

We've spent my winter off time loading the 3750FL for the road, and now it's just sitting at the back of our neighborhood in the storage lot waiting to go. I love being home, but I really can't wait to get out and live in our new 5er. Dare I say, I think I'll prefer it to home, because it's just as nice as our home... Plus I'll be making money while I'm living in it.

I have a small list of upgrades to get it exactly how I want it, but it's perfect for now, for what we need. I just want to get skirting made for winter, get wifi for my wife, a stabilizer system (I had planned on a tripod, but have heard that the strongarm system is better), a second AC, slide awnings, and a second spare tire.

MrYesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
Ramblin Roadrunners
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7616
Send a message via MSN to Ramblin Roadrunners
I'm excited for you. Sounds like a deal. Don't forget to have fun.
Ramblin Roadrunners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Wish you all the best and hope to meet you down the road.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 05:56 PM   #4
MDL
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13959
Sounds like a great time! Enjoy the time away from home...in your other home!
MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 01:24 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
You got a plan!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #6
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I hope you enjoy your 3750 as much as we do!
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #7
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
Thanks everyone. Nice to have someone aside from myself and my wife be positive about it. Our family are all upset that we'll be gone so much. They just don't understand that you have to go where the money is. Plus, I just love to travel. I love being in new places, and I even love long drives on the interstate. I just can't wait to get out, and start making money to pay this thing off. lol
Old 01-07-2014, 04:13 AM   #8
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
We've been longtiming/fulltiming for the last 8 years for my wife's job as a Travel Nurse RN and can't see doing anything else until she retires in 5 years. I'm retired on SS Disability. The main problem we had at first was realizing we don't have near as much storage here as home. Every time we would go home for a visit we would unload something else we discovered we didn't need so now our house back home is more of a storage place than a home. Carol also had a heck of a time realizing that we just didn't have the wall space for nick knacks to hang.

I'd say the first few years will be a learning process and just be patient as you'll make mistakes and realize you can do with a lot less than you are used to having with you. I can't believe how many tools I used to carry. I used to carry the top of my Snap-On tool cabinet with us and just this last year down sized to a smaller tool box and still have enough tools to overhaul a motor. I got rid of about 500lbs of tools I was carrying for just in case. My next project will be to down size my power tool collection.

We also found that milk crates are our friend for storing things in the basement. You can see into the sides of them and if you have to take 2 or 3 three out to find something it makes it real easy to put stuff back inside. We've learned a bunch in 8 years so don't hesitate to ask questions especially from the good folk on this forum. We feel they are some of the smartest folks on the planet.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:01 AM   #9
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Happy trails and travel safe.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Great plan and rig!

Besides the JT Strong Arms, I think you might wanna try the SteadyFast system. I believe it might be less expensive because it's simpler and accomplishes does the same thing with less hardware (weight) and effort (only two corners to tighten). If you need to eliminate that last bit of movement, others have added some type of stabilizer jacks in front and back of the axles, too. The suspension and tires are notorious for allowing much of the movement and the additional jacks might help remove this movement source. While you might not be able to stop ALL movement, that should be enough to remind you that you are in a trailer after all. I only use a tripod but we don't use our rig near as much as many of you so we aren't as bothered, but the SteadyFast system is on our list since we'll probaby never invest in the Level Up or Bigfoot systems.

Enjoy your travels and your rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
You might want to get a tire pressure monitor or keep a close eye on the tires if you are going to travel a lot, there are many posts here about them.... just my 2 bits
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM   #12
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
Tire pressure monitor added to the list! The steady-fast system was the other one we were looking at. It does seem to be a bit easier to deploy, and it's a little cheaper. That just may be the one we use. We have a vast supply of milk crates at work that I may have to relieve a few from. I appreciate all of the tips. This forum contains a wealth of knowledge, and I appreciate every tip and trick I can find.

I'm hoping to, in our travels, find a small plot of land somewhere where we can see ourselves living in our off time. That way I can get a pad poured, and utilities ran, so we just have to pull in and park when I'm not working, then we can build a house there when we save some money. It's amazing how much freedom a 5er allows.

Thanks again for all of the well wishes!
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 PM   #13
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
Congrats on getting the rig you really like. You won't regret your choice or life style.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:29 AM   #14
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Don't know what company you are working for, but before we left the central Illinois area this summer, a pipeline was coming through. There were probably 5 or 6 pipeline employees in 5th wheels staying in our RV park and numerous others in parks throughout the area. It sure seemed like the perfect choice rather than staying in motels. I think you and your family made a really good decision and you will love it!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:04 AM   #15
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
I work for a couple different companies regularly. But one of the best things about pipelining is you can pretty much pick where you want to work, and who for. I just put in for a job in Troy Missouri last night (I have my fingers crossed that I get it). It definitely is a much better choice than a hotel. You never have to unpack, it's cheaper, and you are actually going to own something in the end, as opposed to throwing cash at a hotel chain.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
And you know who slept in the bed the night before. A major plus with all the bugs running around.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:05 PM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As Michelle and Ann stated, you cannot beat sleeping in your own bed every night while you are traveling. The first two years we had our 3400 we were full time in it. Then we bought a house and became snowbirds for six months out of each year. We love our second home. As a note, this forum was invaluable to us. We were forum members for a full year, gathering the wisdom of the MOC before we bought our Montana. It saved us a ton (maybe two) of grief and money when we finally did make the move.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM   #18
ka9vrx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6140
Congrats on the newly acquired rig! Happy trails and safe travels be with you!
Old 01-19-2014, 01:42 PM   #19
ray fischer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3760
Congrads. Before you hit the road, check the tires. if it still has the original china bombs, get rid of them & get good LTs. Check the many tire threads on this forum.
ray fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 02:34 AM   #20
MrYesterday
Established Member

M.O.C. #13948
Thanks for the heads up. I just assumed since they were Goodyears they would be ok, especially since they have a total of 100 miles on them.