Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #21
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Bingo, doesn't the "p" trap stop the insects from sneaking in to surprise the wife.
OK I know if DW wants it closed ya better keep it closed

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #22
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The black MUST stay closed unless you are dumping! The concern is to contain the germs, bacteria and other nastiness in the black tank. You do not want to risk any black water content to remain in your sewer drain or sewer hose just for health and safety sake. The gray is not as bad therefore RVers may leave these on. But you do need some amount of gray to wash out any black tank junk after the black tank is drained, so don't forget to close the gray a day or two prior to knowing you're gonna dump the black tank.

As it turns out, either gray tank gets filled a lot faster on a daily basis, so leaving these open is more reasonable, but NEVER the black tank.

I got this sound device from many RVers and it seems to make a lot of sense regarding health and safety.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by grampachet

OK I know if DW wants it closed ya better keep it closed
Some things are worth the trouble of arguing over and some of us are smarter than the average bear!!

Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #24
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by JandC

I may lean toward keeping the bathroom/front gray tank open, but now I have another question. We are getting a washer/dryer combo installed in the next couple of months, which gray tank does that drain in to on a 3400RL?

On our rig (2007 3400RL) the washer/dryer dumps directly into the line after the tanks. I don’t think leaving the grey tanks open or closed for that reason would make any difference for you.

If you take a quick look near the steps you may be able to determine whether or not yours is set up the same. I would bet that it is but I don’t know for certain. Look closely at your drain lines underneath; if it is you should see a small line dropping out from underneath the belly skin where the washer is located and going into a line at a point after all the other tank drain valves; which then goes directly to the exit connections. Hope this helps!
Old 04-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Thanks Bill-N-Donna, I will check that out to see if I can locate the drain line.