Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
We get our Montana in 12 days!

Where to start? My wife and I have been RVing for almost 25 years. We had a 5er about 15 years ago but we weren't real happy with it. We couldn't afford a "nice" one and it didn't have a full-height bedroom (watch your head!), few windows and those it had were as small as portholes on a ship! It was like living in a tin can.

We've also been in 3 different pop-ups and a small Class C which we sold just a few weeks ago clearing the way for the trailer of our dreams.

We got a great deal on a 2005 Montana 3400rl. The open living design combined with the great kitchen layout clinched the deal for my wife. She is the chef-in-residence at the B&B we own in Canada and has worked as a chef at a French restaurant, as well as running her own cake and chocolate business.

Willemina and I have lived in 3 countries (originally from Canada, now in Florida where I work) on 2 continents. Right after we were married we moved to The Netherlands for almost 2.5 years.

We have 2 children but will be empty nesters in 4 weeks. Our daughter and SIL live at our B&B where they are the off-season caretakers. Our son will be moving there also, at least initially.

I see that MOC has a cookbook. Maybe if you ever do a re-print we can contribute some recipes. My wife has developed an amazing low-fat alfredo sauce recipe that I'll stack up against the best restaurants, anywhere! She has been putting together her own cookbook in her spare time.

And about our nickname: our last name is Flowers but when we moved to Florida (the sunshine state) my brother gave us that nickname. We took it for our B&B: The Sunflowers By The Sea

The Sunflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Welcome to the MOC! We have a friendly bunch of members with a wealth of knowledge and experience. We're glad you're here.
I, for one, am interested in your low fat alfredo sauce recipe. Please share!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Welcome to the forum. Feel free to jump in the discussions. Take a look at some of the regional rallys and see if you can make any of them. You'll meet a great bunch of folks.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Jay (or was it Betty?), the alfredo sauce recipe hasn't made it into her cookbook yet. So far she makes it without measuring just by bringing the ingredients together. The next time she makes it Willemina said she will measure things as show goes and put it in her cookbook.

By the way, her cookbook (being co-developed by our daughter) is online at http://www.midwestliving.com/app/myc...kId=2017500001

And our son is planning to go into the culinary arts field also.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:04 AM   #5
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Only 9.5 days to wait! (I'll try not to give a day-by-day countdown, but I'm *SO* excited!)
Old 05-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #6
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
My son, the aspiring chef, has just developed his first recipe. Look for Spaghetti Carbonara to be entered into the online family cookbook shortly. Definitely NOT low-fat though (bacon and cream and other good stuff).

I must correct a previous mis-statement. The cookbook has been a collaboration between my wife and daughter. I guess my son's name has to be added now. (I'm a proud husband and father!)
Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Congrats on your upcoming "new addition" and welcome to the MOC!
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 AM   #8
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Thanks Bill & Lisa. Gah! Another 8 days to wait.

I get the truck back from the shop this afternoon with fresh fluids, new rear brake calipers, new master cylinder, working AC (vitally important for a black truck in the Florida sun!) and lots of minor details resolved. YAY!

The shop determined that: A) the cruise control is disconnected, and B) the recall notice on it hasn't been done. So early next week I'll get it to a Ford dealer and get that and the other recall (crankshaft position sensor, IIRC) dealt with. Free repairs! (Gotta love that.)

On Wednesday I have it booked to get a Curt Q5 20K hitch and Curt Reflex brake controller installed, with a 7-pin connector installed in the truck bed.

Do you think I'm anxious, much?
Old 05-13-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Welcome to the MOC and hope your new Montana serves you well!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:34 AM   #10
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
We hope so too and believe it will. This isn't our first time buying an RV and with each purchase we were trying to better define what we were looking for. Of course, it was also a moving target as our situation changed from one baby to two young children to ...

In a month we become empty nesters and life changes again. With this rig we will be ready to embrace the change!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #11
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Only 4.5 days, and counting!

Truck went back to the shop this morning to finally get to the root of the AC problems (failing compressor). Also going to get an alignment while it is there. I'm into repairs so deep, what's a little more money?
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #12
Dave and Pat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10397
Congratulations on your " home on wheels ",and welcome to the greatest group of folks you'll meet !
Dave and Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
This wait is killing me! Now if I could only sell my sports car to help finance it. Otherwise we have to dip into our savings, "borrowing" from ourselves, and pay it back when it eventually does sell.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
Sunflowers - I know how you feel about the wait. We get our new Montana on Monday - yea!!! I can hardly wait and already have our "shake down" trip booked! Now if the weather would only cooperate and realize it is Spring and not Winter!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:57 AM   #15
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Weather here in Florida evolved from Summer back to Spring. YAY!

Shop got the AC compressor changed and we finally have cold air. Also found out why my wife reported it pulling to the right (it wasn't doing that last week) - we picked up a big bolt in the middle of the tread of the relatively new front-right tire. At least it can be patched.

However, this morning when they opened the shop they found a big puddle of coolant under the truck. The water pump has failed and needs to be replaced.

I feel like I'm building a new truck, one piece at a time!

Four days and counting! The hitch, brake controller and 7-pin bed socket get installed tomorrow.

CATCRAW - the best I can do for a shakedown trip might be Sunday night somewhere if I can get in for one night on the Memorial Day weekend.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
Oh don't think the expense is done once it is here... Then there are all the numerous trips to camping world!!! So happy for you both. When purschasing a new RV I reflect it to a pregnacy never seems to get here and enjoyable once it does!!!Good luck and enjoy!
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 03:51 AM   #17
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
And the very most expensive campground I've ever stayed in was a Walmart parking lot!

When I left the truck this morning it was at Rentz in Clearwater, getting its Curt Q5 20K hitch installed. Also a Curt Reflex brake controller (will I regret not getting a different brake controller? time will tell). And a 7-pin connector in the bed.

The truck already has a gooseneck ball in the bed. There is a big steel plate welded to the frame to support it, but it looks like the 5th hitch rails will just clear it, saving me the cost of having it cut out and giving me the ultimate in towing flexibility.

Maybe I should go into the towing business? I can tow ANYTHING! Within weight limits, that is.

3 days and counting ...
Old 05-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Tomorrow !!!
Old 05-20-2011, 03:57 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Planning on sleeping tonight???? You are getting a bunch of us excited!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 AM   #20
The Sunflowers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11398
Sleep is overrated! (Note that this is coming from someone who already suffers a sleep disorder.)

We have a 2.5 hour drive to get to the dealer. He wants us there for 9am if possible and told us to expect the PDI to last 3 hours. At least, I think that's what he said.

It has been almost a dozen years since we've had a 5er. I need to relearn everything I once knew.