Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #1
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Gettysburg

Left N. GA last week on 9-6. Headed through Akron for a visit with relatives and now in Gettysburg, PA for a few days. Headed to Maine to follow the fall color back south for a while. Our first triip in the Montana lopnger than 2 weeks. Really love this thing and this lifestyle. This week we're in the Drummer Boy Campground. Really nice but expensive. Cable and WiFi.

Living the Good Life and grateful.

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Virgil & Jo have a great time in Gettysburg. Gettysburg is one of our favorite places. I even have a brother who is a tour guide at the battlefield.
The fall colors in the northeast is something you will never forget. It is quite possibly the biggest thing that we miss as fulltimers. Oh sure we can always visit the area but there is nothing like living in the area and having that viewing experience everyday but of course after the beautiful foliage is gone the trees and ground start turning white. BUT after 60 years of shoveling and plowing, that white stuff it is one thing I don't think I will never miss.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 04:42 AM   #3
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Thanks Glenn, we're both really looking forward to enjoying the color up in the NE. Next week we're headed to Acadia NP for at least a week, maybe longer.
This morninig the dog got on what smelled like a skunk although we didn't see one! We washed him with tomato juice and it really worked!
Old 09-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Twice my shepard has thought a skunk was a cat. Here's something that works great. 1 pint bottle of peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda and a couple of squirts of dish detergent. Wash the dog (no -- it won't bleach the dog as Chuck thought it would) with this mixture and rinse good. You'd think the dog would have learned after the first time.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:10 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also loved Gettysburg and the surrounding area. The Eisenhower Farm was an interesting tour. A distant cousin of mine (Peter Reigle) won the Medal of Honor in the Civil War and is buried at Littletown, about 10 miles or so from Gettysburg. We walked the cemetery and found his grave, complete with bronze MOH plaque.

Next summer and fall we intend to spend in New England. We would like to start by visiting Gettysburg again. We took the bus tour and then spent parts of three days on the self-guided tour and would still like to see more.

Glenn, does your brother do the bus tours or is he one of the guides who drive your car while showing you everything you'd ever want to know? We found the guides to be extremely knowledgeable. We spent some time talking with a guy studying to become a guide and came to appreciate how difficult it is to become a tour guide at Gettysburg. Your brother is to be commended.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
OK ... I'll revive this topic!

We will be in Gettysburg at the Drummer Boy Campground from September 30th to October 17th. Boy that sounds like a long time!!!

We had planned an Adirondack vacation this Fall but need to stay closer to home with an ailing parent. But I am really glad that we have this super get-away not so far from our home in Manassas, VA.

Please drop by for a visit if you are in the area.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
We stayed at DrummerBoy Campground. They h ave a new section way in the back that was nicely secluded. Thought it was great except for Wifi conection and road noise If you use WiFi, tell them when you check in and ask for a site with "good" Wifi. The 4 lane, I think it is PA 15, runs right neext to the Campground. At the desk, alaso ask them not to locate you close to the road.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:12 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

We also loved Gettysburg and the surrounding area. The Eisenhower Farm was an interesting tour. A distant cousin of mine (Peter Reigle) won the Medal of Honor in the Civil War and is buried at Littletown, about 10 miles or so from Gettysburg. We walked the cemetery and found his grave, complete with bronze MOH plaque.

Next summer and fall we intend to spend in New England. We would like to start by visiting Gettysburg again. We took the bus tour and then spent parts of three days on the self-guided tour and would still like to see more.

Glenn, does your brother do the bus tours or is he one of the guides who drive your car while showing you everything you'd ever want to know? We found the guides to be extremely knowledgeable. We spent some time talking with a guy studying to become a guide and came to appreciate how difficult it is to become a tour guide at Gettysburg. Your brother is to be commended.
Steve, My brother does the personal tours rather than the bus tours. He feels he can do a whole lot better job explaining Gettysburg on a more "one on one" basis than with a big group. At one time he also did the re-enactments but gave that up. If you would be interested send me an email or PM and I'll give you his info.

Also, If you and Vicki are doing the east side of the US hopefully you will be able to schedule the Virginia and Northeast rallys into your agenda.

Lorraine and I were also talking about New England next summer. Have to see how the winter goes first.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Glenn. Just emailed you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Have never camped at Gettysburg, but have spent time there. Been there several times with groups of Jr. High school kids, educational trip for students, as well as personal trips. The students that we have taken there had a great time and it was one of the things that they really talked about when they returned home to Idaho. We have really enjoyed the area and have enjoyed the folks and the tour guides that have taken us around. One of these times that we are there we will spend more time and do come camping there. Looking forward to going back.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote