Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
G614 tire.....From a thread on RVNet

I think this guy had a Carriage:

Read where the alignment guy says this is a characteristic of the G614 tire.

Taken from the thread:
To clarify recent questions these are GY LT235/85R16 LR G G614 tires. Both the inside and outside edges are being impacted to some extent on all 4 tires. This is the third set of tires I have placed on the trailer and as best as I can recall each set has experienced the same problem. I had the rig in at a frame shop in Deming, NM last March for an alignment and the guy said the wear pattern was characteristic of this tire. He said he had seen many and pulled one out of the back he had just changed and it looked just like mine. Anyway, the guy said there was no need to check the alignment.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
"...third set of tires.." wonder if they were all G614s??????? If so, what took him so long to figure there might be a problem with the tires??? Or was/is the problem with his rig??? Inquiring minds want to know!
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #3
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I don't subscribe to the G614 hype. They are way overpriced for what you get.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I will be keeping an eye on our 614's based on the information Ozz and others have been providing. To date, I am not seeing any adverse wear patterns (knock on wood). I can to this day state that the sense of comfort I have pulling the rig on the 614's was definitely worth the additional cost that the tires cost. After having failures of the Mission tires followed by a blow-out of the Freestar's (both made in China), it is a welcome sense of comfort not constantly looking in the rear-view wondering if anything is going to go wrong. As with all aspects of pulling anything in the range of 6-8 tons, many choices must be made, many factors considered in these choices, and in the end one is hopefully comfortable in their decision making process. As it stands now (and hopefully in the future), I am comfortable with the choice I made, even if they did lighten my wallet a little more, but at least I can gather some satisfaction knowing that at least these tires are American made. The other factor that I think is critical is we do not use our rig nearly as much as others do. I typically pull in the range of 5,000 - 6,000 miles a year, which may well be the reason for not seeing the wear others do. This post is not to dispute others, but rather to state that the problems that have been reported here and on other sites have not been seen on our rig. We will see what the next few years hold.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I'm with Bingo. After two years and many miles there isn't anything even remotely resembling that type of wear on our tires and we are running real close to full weight.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
snowhawk2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10557
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I will be keeping an eye on our 614's based on the information Ozz and others have been providing. To date, I am not seeing any adverse wear patterns (knock on wood). I can to this day state that the sense of comfort I have pulling the rig on the 614's was definitely worth the additional cost that the tires cost. After having failures of the Mission tires followed by a blow-out of the Freestar's (both made in China), it is a welcome sense of comfort not constantly looking in the rear-view wondering if anything is going to go wrong. As with all aspects of pulling anything in the range of 6-8 tons, many choices must be made, many factors considered in these choices, and in the end one is hopefully comfortable in their decision making process. As it stands now (and hopefully in the future), I am comfortable with the choice I made, even if they did lighten my wallet a little more, but at least I can gather some satisfaction knowing that at least these tires are American made. The other factor that I think is critical is we do not use our rig nearly as much as others do. I typically pull in the range of 5,000 - 6,000 miles a year, which may well be the reason for not seeing the wear others do. This post is not to dispute others, but rather to state that the problems that have been reported here and on other sites have not been seen on our rig. We will see what the next few years hold.
Bingo
X2
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
As with Bingo and Dick here our's are now two+ years old. After all the info we have gleaned from Ozz's experience we certainly will keep a closer eye on them, but nothing abnormal here. We travel with great peace of mind knowing we have them installed back there and like they say...Priceless!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
It is too bad the picture only shows the wear on the inside of one tire, the claim is that this is the third set of tires, he does not say if they were all G614's or something else.
There are two things that stand out glaringly to me in this post. When you look at the wear on the tread surface there seems to be very little wear, certainly no scuffing is indicated and there appears to be very little wear at all other than the inside edge.
Secondly the narrow band of wear would cause me to be looking at the possibility of something coming in contact with the tire as it rotated down the road.

If I saw this kind of wear on any tire on my unit I would be looking at something other than a "characteristic" of the tire. The fellow in the alignment shop may be correct in saying it is not an alignment problem, but there is some reason on this unit this problem is evident, and not on the two I am familiar with and many more that are posting here on the G614 tires.

I am not promoting Goodyear tires or the G614 in particular, however with all the suggestion to take a heavy unit like the 3402RL and put LT tires rated at 3042 lbs on a unit rated for over 15,000 GVW makes no sense at all. There are other G rated tires, however most of them are not made in the USA, nor are very many of the LT tires these days.

As I stated in another thread on these same tires, I know two different people with two very different units that have them, and I have seen no such wear on either of them. To me there is something else wrong. We always want to blame the tire.

All I can say is every heavy horse trailer, and industrial trailer I have seen have G rated tires on them, I have "never" seen a commercially built heavy trailer with LT tires on it. One might ask why that is...
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 AM   #9
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
I will jump on the Bingo bandwagon as we don't put but about 2000 miles on our trailer, but as Bingo said it is worth the peace of mind having those tires on it vs the Goodyear china bombs that are currently on it.
But once installed, I will keep a close look on the tires as we put mileage on them on our travels.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #10
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
It will be interesting to watch this develop over the next few years.

Being one who had this wear pattern I've done an awful lot of checking and talking to others with this tire- like I'm sure others have, and I'm not convinced after the dust has settled that it is all that much of a problem.

Some who had the wear said it stopped after a period of time. Others have said that even though it might look like a big deal - the tires get old before they get too worn for it to be an issue. Many others have no wear problem at all. Go figure. That last point makes me ponder the question if it really is a tire problem to start with.

With all the various discussions about this however - the one thing I have NOT heard - not even once - is that the tire either failed due to this wear pattern - our that it wore down enough to expose any belts or cause problems of any sort other than cosmetic. That's why I'm hesitant to say the tires are problematic at this point.

When I drove Semis I used to see a lot of odd wear patterns - especially steering axles. It was something that came with the territory and really wasn't something to worry about, and the tires just wore out in their normal course. Some trucks wore funny - others with the same make tire did not. So for right now I've got the 614's in the same category.

So - that said - until such time as there is REAL & SUBSTANTIAL EVIDENCE that the tires are a problem I still think they provide a good alternative to what is currently available for the 110psi wheels. I think that the peace of mind that folks feel with these tires are justified. If I didn't go up to 17.5's I'd still be using and recommending them. JMHO
Gkerlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #11
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

I think this guy had a Carriage:

Read where the alignment guy says this is a characteristic of the G614 tire.

Taken from the thread:
To clarify recent questions these are GY LT235/85R16 LR G G614 tires. Both the inside and outside edges are being impacted to some extent on all 4 tires. This is the third set of tires I have placed on the trailer and as best as I can recall each set has experienced the same problem. I had the rig in at a frame shop in Deming, NM last March for an alignment and the guy said the wear pattern was characteristic of this tire. He said he had seen many and pulled one out of the back he had just changed and it looked just like mine. Anyway, the guy said there was no need to check the alignment.
Ozz.. the odd thing about this guys post is that he first said this was his 3 set and the first time that he ever experienced this wear problem.

His quote: Here's a little history: This is the third set of these tires since I've owned the rig and they have never done this before. In May last year I had a spring break and replaced 2 tires including the one in the picture. In October I replaced the two on the other axle. When you say they are out of balance, does that mean the lead weights? Because I watched them balance all 4 tires when they installed them.

It was after folks started questioning his spring break and potential effect on his axle alignment that he switched and said it was his third set and that they have all had this problem. That was the quote you posted.

Don't know if that means anything at all... There were other things that he said that seemed suspect but why get into it??

Just part of the frustration getting good info sometimes on these threads where anybody can post anything and call it facts.

BTW his rig is a 32' Alpha... Whatever that is.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

That may well be true but the peace of mind is worth every penny to me. After many, many tire problems over the years with the China bombs, including this $2200 blowout in the following picture, it's been great to go 2 1/2 years and 16k miles with zero tire problems with the G614's.

$2200 buys quite a few tires, by the way. This blown tire had been checked less than an hour prior to this.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Gkerlin

BTW his rig is a 32' Alpha... Whatever that is.
Just an FYI, Alpha was a high-end rig now out of business. They built both fifthwheels and Class A motorhomes. The model I remember most is Alpha Gold. The owner of the park we are currently in has an Alpha Gold motorhome. Their fifthwheels are heavy and I'd not be surprised to see most equipped with load range G tires.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:

That may well be true but the peace of mind is worth every penny to me. After many, many tire problems over the years with the China bombs, including this $2200 blowout in the following picture, it's been great to go 2 1/2 years and 16k miles with zero tire problems with the G614's.

$2200 buys quite a few tires, by the way. This blown tire had been checked less than an hour prior to this.

You are buying your piece of mind with a tire you get reinforcement from the MOC. I'm not saying it's not a good tire, all I'm saying is I did my research and food another tire that was 1/2 the price and every bit as good if not better. I previously posted the info, so if your interested do a search.
By the way, $2200 buys you 6 Goodyear's and my opinion is they are overpriced.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #15
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=49304

This is the link to the previous post.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #16
Gkerlin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12221
I'll support American jobs and take an American Made Tire over a Chinese tire any day of the week and gladly pay more for it.
Same with my wheels and anything else I can find that's not from China.

Old 01-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:

You are buying your piece of mind with a tire you get reinforcement from the MOC. I'm not saying it's not a good tire, all I'm saying is I did my research and food another tire that was 1/2 the price and every bit as good if not better. I previously posted the info, so if your interested do a search.
By the way, $2200 buys you 6 Goodyear's and my opinion is they are overpriced.
Good luck with those tires, Keith. I hope they perform well for you. I've been bit by three different brands of tires made in China (Goodyear Marathon, Mission, Freestar). I've sworn I'll never own another. If your brand performs well, that might end up changing my mind. Until then, though, I'll remain leery and I'm sure you can understand why, based on the scars I'm bearing. I have pictures of several of the tire problems. Please let us know how these tires have done once you've racked up 10k or 20k miles on them. I'd appreciate hearing about that. I'm always watching for "a better deal" and someday will again be in the market.