Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #1
paiceman

M.O.C. #18904
Considering

Hi

New to this forum but not to RVing, been doing it for 45 years. Almost all of it in various Airstreams.

We are in the process of considering a 5th wheel, and therefore I've joined several 5th wheel dedicated forums to gleen as much information as possible.

Our consideration comes from the changes we've made in our travel and our travel plans. In the past we would camp one or two nights and move on, never spending more that a few nights in anyone location. Last year we traveled to FL for two months in the winter, loved it. This coming year we plan on two to four months, yes we aleady have a spot as we own an RV site now.

With the changes noted and in considering our travel companions, the two Labradors pictured, which are both Certified Therapy Dogs, a larger living area is what will probably move us in the direction of a 5th wheel. Montana's are high on the list as our Luxe, and Mobile Suites.

I can repair a lot of what goes wrong, but prefer to not have things go wrong, which I realize is a dream in the RV world. So, any thoughts, comments would be appreciated as we love our Airstream now, a 2017 Classic but at best it gives us about 100SF to live in.

Thank You

Our Best

Bud

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
First and foremost, don't let forums completely make your decision for you. We have many thousands of members here but seldom do we post how much we love our Montana and I'm sure other forums are the same. This is the place to come if you have a problem and need help so problems predominate. That said we are on our second Montana and have been fulltiming in them for 8 years and wouldn't change a thing. I think the biggest takeaway from this forum is it's all about the dealer. Go to a good one and you'll love Montana's, get a bad one and not so much.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:15 AM   #3
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Welcome to the forum.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Welcome. Fifth wheels are great to live in. We fulltime and spend Nov 1st through may 1st in sw florida and travel the other six months. If I could have afforded it at the time, I would of bought the drv mobile suite or the bigger bucks elite suite. A good dealer that really checks out and fixes the new montana they buy is key to having a good experience and great for having work done in a timely manner. Once all the issues were fixed in mine by myself, it has been good. We just had morryde install their i.s. suspension and disc brakes as I had three failures with the suspension as keystone built it...end of year one with rubber shear spring failing, year four shear spring failed again on the same side, last October a wet bolt failed...also on the drivers side.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:23 AM   #5
paiceman

M.O.C. #18904
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
First and foremost, don't let forums completely make your decision for you. We have many thousands of members here but seldom do we post how much we love our Montana and I'm sure other forums are the same. This is the place to come if you have a problem and need help so problems predominate. That said we are on our second Montana and have been fulltiming in them for 8 years and wouldn't change a thing. I think the biggest takeaway from this forum is it's all about the dealer. Go to a good one and you'll love Montana's, get a bad one and not so much.
Thank you. No, the forums are not my nor will they be my only decision maker. Visit the Airstream Forums sometime, one would think the world is coming to an end with poor quality here and awful dealers there. Same all over.

I just was looking for information and I've gotten some from reading the posts on what does go bad and how to fix etc. As you noted, dealers are key, however, Airstream has a full service center at the factory which is the only place we take our present or past Airstreams for warranty and or service work.

Thanks

Bud
Old 06-18-2018, 09:38 AM   #6
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
No matter what you buy....PDI PDI PDI. the better your PDI the less likely you will have to make the repairs yourself.

There are still things that will slip past a PDI but at least you know you gave it a good effort.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Welcome to the forum. 2X what DQDICK said. We are in our third Keystone, two Mountaineers and now a Montana 2015 3582RL.

We have loved all 3. We are not full timers but we do live in ours for 7 to 8 months a year. Not always in one spot as we have taken many short 1500 miles and several long 8500 mile trips and have a 9300 mile trip planed for this fall.

Ok on to problems, as for us nothing that in most cases I can't fix. Well except for the time I drove under a low bridge in up state NY that took off the sat antenna and front AC. These things are TALL 13' 5" so watch for and take truck routes. I also have a Garmin 770 that tells me if I am on a road with low bridges. They are heavy so check out the tire threads on here.

And lastly don't let the problems some are having as this forum is for just that a place to help with problems. Just find the floor plan you like and as said find a good dealership. One good way to find a good dealer is talk to people who are picking up rigs after repairs. They will tell you how long the repairs took and if there were done properly.

Just my 2 cents.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:48 AM   #8
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
I believe it's crap shoot with any manufacturer. They all have problems at times. Some people have several problems and most have a few minor issues. I am one with a few minor issues. I would buy another one.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #9
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Bud,

Welcome to the forum - this is a great place to learn. We are very happy with our Montana.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:10 AM   #10
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Fairly safe to say you will notice a giant drop in quality of construction going from Airstream to ANY other brand

Since only a couple conglomerates own about 80-90% of the rest of the brands you won’t find much difference in them. Best thing todo is choose the floor plan you like and expect there will be build quality issues to address. Like others said do a really good PDI and expect to not have your new camper for a while as the dealer repairs what the lax quality control missed

Upside is all the brands are less expensive than an Airstream so you will have extra cash to make repairs.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
we are on our 2nd Montana this 2013 3402 and a 06 3400. we have traveled over 100K miles in these two Montana's. We also winter in Florida near Disney World for 6 months and have done so since 2007. We also travel the country in the summer The Montana line is mid range (IMO) in price line and quality although the RV industry is not known for its build quality.

Post # 2 says it all. We did the same as you in 2004/2005 when we were looking for a 4th wheel.We belonged to 5 or 6 different brand forums as well as RVnet. Floor plan was most important to us. I note you live in Pittsburgh my place of birth, North side.If you get the chance take a trip to the Goshen/ Elkhart and tour the factories most of them are there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote