Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2005, 08:09 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Access to the kitchen with slides retracted is certainly a consideration and Judy's approach solves the problem for some models, maybe all. But, overall, my concern with kitchen access while on the road is really a very low priority. After all, we are in this thing far more with slides extended. So our first priority is how it works for us with slides extended. We can access the fridge with slides in and one kitchen cabinet. So, for on the road days we just put our paper plates, utensils, bread, etc., for that day's lunch in that cabinet.

Far more important to me is access to the bathroom with slides retracted. So long as we can get to the water closet we're good to go.

Also, on our 3295RK we swapped dining table location with the big chair location so now we can get to more kitchen cabinets with slides retracted. Also, some folks just turn the dining table sideways for travel, allowing access to the rear of the coach (depends on the model).

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 01:33 AM   #22
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Thanks everyone for your thoughts on accessing the kitchen area. Our 3000RK has arrived at the dealer and we closed the deal yesterday. Will pick up the unit Monday. It is impossible to get to the fridge without opening the dinette/sofa slide a few inches. The problem is the slides cannot be operated independently. You have to open the bedroom slide fully before the main slide start to open. This means to partially open the main slide, you have to have enough room to fully open the bedroom slide. We decided we can live with that because we like the floor plan so much. Can't wait to hit the road with it.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 04:27 AM   #23
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Bob,

Are you sure about not moving the slides independently? If so, this is a step backward for Keystone. For years, the hydrolic pump has had a manifold with three valves on in the front compartment. They can be used to control which slide you open. Most of the time they are all left open, but the slide you want can be isolated. Check it out and report if you will. If this is not so, I will be totally surprised.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 05:18 AM   #24
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I think units with only 2 slides do not have the valves. Does the 3000 only have 2 slides?
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 11:56 PM   #25
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Parrothead, the 3000RK has two slides. Stiles, we haven't yet gotten a full explanation of all the systems, but the sales person told us that the slides don't operate independently. However, I see that one of the options the coach came with is "hydraulic selector valves". Maybe this is what you were describing. I sure hope so. Guess I'll find out for sure tomorrow.
Bob
Old 01-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #26
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That option is exactly what we're talking about, Bob. If you have that option, you're in business. It's a simple thing to just adjust the valves when you're traveling and you'll be able to open only the dining room slide. And then you'll have access to everything.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:12 AM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Bob, I think you have it. Let us know. Salesmen don't always know everything (sorry Glenn - you're excluded). That is why this forum is so great. You find out here what the salesmen and techs don't know.
Happy trails......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 12:34 AM   #28
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Well, you guys are right. The hydraulic selector valves are what I was looking for. Unfortunately, it turns out the coach they ordered didn't come with this option, even though they had supposedly ordered it with the option. Dealer says it will cost me $800 to install now. This for a $245 option, even though the tech who gave us the walkthrough said they were not hard to install. Needless to say, I'm not very happy with the dealer. However, we are otherwise very pleased with the trailer and are eager to put it to use.
Bob
Old 01-03-2006, 02:31 AM   #29
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
That's a sorry dealer, Bob, considering it was his mistake. Might need to get Keystone involved.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:29 AM   #30
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
My first thought would be a negative one, Bob, on your dealer. Pretty convenient to negotiate a price, then have a few options "accidentally" fall off the factory order. He probably feels real bad about that extra profit.

*On Edit~ I guess I do want to point out it could have been an honest mistake - just a very convenient one. Doesn't sound like he was too apologetic about it?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 07:15 AM   #31
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I don't believe it was intentional, and I don't think he made any extra profit from it since the rig included some options I didn't order that added up to at least what the missing ones cost. They just weren't the options I really cared about. I felt that the least they could have done was to provide the missing options at a significant discount. Anyway, it's over and done with -- time to enjoy the coach.
Bob
Old 01-04-2006, 02:41 AM   #32
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If I were the dealer, in order to deliver what I sold, I would charge you only for the parts and install it on the house. You may be able to have a non-dealer of good reputation install it for a better price anyway. I am probably way off base, but when I built computers, if I missed an item in my bid, I ate it and sometimes I had to eat my profit. I called it intergity. There is a book somewhere that says to "keep your word even if you swear to your own hurt." These kinds of ideas are too old fashioned and dated for today's business world I suppose.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2006, 04:49 AM   #33
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Glad you like your coach, Bob. We are certainly looking forward to ours this May, and I know it's not going to be perfect, but we can deal with those things when they surface. To say that this forum has been helpful to us would not even be in the category of "understatement". Maybe "super understatement"?

I remember a phrase, "You don't know what you don't know". Well, we would have not known what we did not know if not for this forum, and I am very thankful for this invaluable resource.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:59 AM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Stiles, remember when a handshake was all that was required? The reason, I believe for this was that it was an EMOTIONAL bond to a deciscion. Signing your name to a legal document is a LEGAL bond to a decision, and NOT an emotional one - in most cases. I have seen people hestitant to shake on something, because they were unsure if they could follow through. Those same people will sign their name with no hestitation, figuring if something goes wrong, they will get their attorney to fight it. No moral commitment at all.