Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
jpsbanjo
Established Member

M.O.C. #8398
CB radios

Thanks to all who responded to my generator question, now switching gears, what do you all think about the usefulness or uselessness(is that a word?)of a CB radio? I grew up (wife doesn't think so)in the 60's and 70's when CB was all the rage and everybody was getting one. It was a great and useful tool for traveling as well as just chit chatting. I,ve heard some not so good things about them lately (predators listening to get your location etc.)so, whatcha think? Put one in the truck or forget it?

jpsbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I have one, but the only time I turn it on is under difficult traffic conditions to ask what is ahead. It is useful if you are convoying with other RV's. Outside of that I forget I have it.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm in the same boat as Stiles ... cell phone has replaced CB's for the most part in todays world. CB's do come in handy for road condition issues from truckers. I have a CB in my truck, but use it mostly for chatter when convoying to the lake. For the same application, they do come in handy for traffic alerts on narrow bridges after the first in the group passes over it. We most always run on an off number channel during these convoys as for courtesy to others.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Sure we have one. They have there usefulness.Not like it once was. There are still some jerks but it has cleaned up a lot. It is another tool that can be useful.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:47 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have one in my truck and have it on all the time while on the road. Dont use it much in town unless I'm looking for local info.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have a hand held CB transceiver with a little whip antenna. I have used it only a few times when I needed to find a diesel gas station. Picked it up, asked the trucker coming by where the next truck stop was, got an answer, turned it off. Same goes for road conditions. So don't put out a lot of money for one. If you don't like hand helds, get the Cobra all built into the microphone. Speaker is not that great, but you can put an external speaker on it, or an ear piece so as to no upset the passengers.

As stated, they have there usefulness, even though it is infrequent. The cell phone is better for those situations where you need a tow, gas, or other semi-emergency situations, and a cell phone for all emergency situations.

Your call.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:14 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I used to have all that stuff, excess power the whole shebang, I got rid of mine years ago, to much trash talk on there. if I want to talk to someone, I use the cel phone, it has a far greater range, and I dont have to wait for skip to talk a long distance either, or ask for a break,or have my wife have to listen to a dirt bag with a foul mouth. or have a handle, or apply to the FCC and get issued call letters (KFK7803) too much government control on the free air up there.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I have one and it also has NOAA weather radio. It automatically alerts me in the truck to weather warnings. Also, if there is a big backup, I can talk to the truckers and get the info I need on whether to get off or stay on the road, which lane to be in, etc. If we're convoying, we use the Family Radios. Just one more communication method.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Last year on the way to NE, I blew a tire on the freeway and did not know my exact location. I could see an exit but couldn't get the number. CB solved that problem with the help of a trucker. Called my ER people gave them the exit number and bingo, my tire was changed and I was off again. My wife hates it when I leave it on, though.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Cell phone (Net 10) and a Tom Tom GPS. I can find points of interest (gas station, Dairy Queen!) enroute as well in cities, etc.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the drive down to Florida Taking the Honda with us we communicated by Family radio. No chatter, just us on a channel and very effective. We also have CB's in both vehicles, hand held in the Honda.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #12
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
The only time mine is turned on is when traffic is almost at a dead stop. I'll ask about the holdup and how far the back up is. Then I can take a alternate route if its too long of a wait.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:14 AM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I pretty much quit bothering with the underdash install stuff. For car to car chatter in a convoy, we just use the handheld FM transceivers now days, or cell phone if there is service.

I actually wasn't aware there was still that much use of the CB. That's a good thing, because without the network of users they aren't much use on the road.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:22 AM   #14
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

The only time mine is turned on is when traffic is almost at a dead stop. I'll ask about the holdup and how far the back up is. Then I can take a alternate route if its too long of a wait.
Hugh
I do basically the same thing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We have a CB in our truck but rarely turn it on. We use it only in heavy traffic and places like the Cajon Pass on I-15 going to Victorville, CA. That's a good place for a lot of traffic problems and truckers usually keep everyone apprised of them.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:50 PM   #16
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
jpsbanjo-

My husband grew up in the days when CB radios were the thing.

I actually hate the things, but I got to tell you....

Last May we attended the Mini Rally at Lake Siskiyou in California.

On the Friday before we joined 6 other Rigs and did a Caravan/Convoy.

Some of us had "two way radios"....this did not work so well....10 miles, 15 miles does not mean 12-15 miles radias when you have metal or what from vehicle's and trailers.

So then we had to whip out our cell phones....well this only works one person to one person.....

All we had to commuincate was some of us needed a gas stop....but we had to contact one person by phone who had to contact others....and the ones who we did not have cell phone numbers....well lets just say it was a little hassel.

This year my husband is hooking up his old retired CB....and I hope to encourage others to do the same.

My thoughts....he can hook it up and when we don't need the use of the CB radio, then it is so easy to unscrew the cable from the radio, tuck the cable away and store the CB under the seat.

So me, myself who hates the CB radio....I do suggest it is a great tool when traveling.
Denise
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #17
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
10-4 and I'm
10-10 on the side.

Still pull mine out on occasion when I'm taking a long trip especially. Have a magnetic antennae and the power cord modified over to a 12v plug in.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:30 AM   #18
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
We have the CB in the truck while traveling and occasionally put it in the car if we go to Atlanta or on up to Indiana. Never have had a person pulling a Montana to respond. It is mostly for entertainment, and sometimes, some good info. Have A Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #19
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have had a CB in our vehicle since the heyday when everyone had one- it was and is very useful under certain conditions as many others have indicated- not only can we receive critical info but we can also be a good samaritan by passing on info to others- the bad manners and foul mouths of others are a necessary evil that does not please my wife even though the info we ask for usually saves the day- So use it when you need it and shut it down when you dont- Or monitor channel 14 for other RVers who try to communicate with you- You might meet your new best friend- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 04:35 AM   #20
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
"Or monitor channel 14 for other RVers who try to communicate with you"

So is channel 14 widely recognized as an RVers channel nationwide? I had not heard of this, but is good to know...........
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote