Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-06-2004, 02:43 PM   #1
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
USFS fees

Having lived in Oregon for 25+ years, I have always enjoyed the fact that the beaches belong to us and no one can fence them off. Well no more! The USFS National Sand Dunes area just south of Winchester Bay has a fee area where you cannot even drive through without paying. I can understand a fee if I was going to stop, park the car, have a picnic, etc., but to drive through? We also recently stayed in a USFS campground that you could not enter without paying a fee. I don't really know how I feel about that either, but I have less trouble paying the fee for actually using the area, though they also charged us $5 for dumping even though we payed $15 per night per site and did not use their toilets (the tenters do not pay a fee for using the toilets). I guess if that is what it takes to keep it open, we will have to pay it, but there is hardly a place to drive and enjoy the beauty without paying a fee for the privilege. It seems to me it must cost them as much to pay someone to collect the fees. Each place we noted at least 2 people on duty.

toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
In Oregon you have to pay to walk in the woods! They put in a test program several years ago and are still testing. I worked in Forestry for forty years and will NOT pay to walk in them now. Treecounter
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:18 PM   #3
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Yes, but it is not by the state of Oregon, is it? I believe it is the USFS. They tell us how we can use our land and then charge us for the privilege.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Agghhhh! Don't get us started on the USFS! We live in the Giant Sequoia National Monument and don't have much to say about our private property within the monument boundaries. There are a number of private property areas that were included in this monument without any notice on our part. One day we woke up and were suddenly within the USFS boundaries with more rules and regulations than you can imagine. While the National Park system is the true governing body of the monument the USFS took over in this area of the Sierra Nevadas with the Park's blessing. There is even talk of setting up a fee system to enter the area INCLUDING a yearly fee pass for those of us who live here! Can you believe it? See! You got us started and look what happened.
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Clements
Posey, CA
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
It just doesn't seem right. I was born and raised in Washington state and we never paid a dime to enter, hike or camp around any of the parks there or in Oregon or even in British Columbia.

I guess if the parks have improved campgrounds that need attending I can see having to pay a fee for those areas.....but hmmmmmmmmm.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:04 PM   #6
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Well it appears the good old days of free entry to our beloved forest lands are over. Thanks to big govenment. Well enough said about that. Lots of the same going on up here in Alaska. State camp grounds used to be fee, but now you have to pay a fee. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 05:52 AM   #7
Montana_1600
Established Member

M.O.C. #1600
Isn't there some type of pass that can be obtained for Senior Citizens in these areas. I know that Ted has a Golden Eagle Pass or something like that - that allows us to travel through the national parks without a fee, or with a reduced fee. Not sure which since we haven't used it yet.

Jackie Cooley
Montana_1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 06:35 AM   #8
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
You have to be 65 and we are not there yet. I believe it is half price for camping and dumping but not sure about the entrance fee. If you are camping you don't pay that fee. Some of our county parks that charge a day use fee will let you drive through to check out the camping and not charge you but the USFS makes no exceptions.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:14 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The Golden Age Pass is available for people younger than 65, maybe 62 years old. My husband has one and he's 64. I'm a mere 61 and not eligible yet....and I remind him of that fact frequently! :
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:39 AM   #10
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
While visiting a USFS campground the sign posted said Golden Age passport available to those age 65 and older. Perhaps they have changed the rules. I will need to do some investigating.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:58 AM   #11
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
I believe that Golden Access (different program) is available to those of any age who are classified permanently disabled. Entrance fees are waived but camping fees still apply. No cost to apply but you must have a dr.'s certification. Check with National Parks to be sure I have it right.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 07:42 PM   #12
dersequim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #549
I got my Golden Age Passport at 62. Free to enter parks. I can take as many people as my vechile will hold FREE! Half price for me to use Camping facilities. I do believe that it will get me into other US facilities free or reduced price. I haven't tried other places yet.
dersequim is offline   Reply With Quote