Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Pet Palace
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2017, 07:25 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
bad traveler

Well we have tried just about everything for our small dog when traveling.
She gets stressed out and pants and stairs at the arm rest, we have don Benadryl, calm down pills calm down liquid the pills the vet sold us which seem to strong for her , bought the Thunder wrap with a pill and other vudo pills. but no good results, has anyone out there got any suggestions?

Old 02-25-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I wish I had the answer, but I don't, so I will be following this thread hoping someone will have some suggestions. We have a BIG dog, Lab mix, about 85 pounds. She starts panting within a few minutes of our towing and never stops until we set up camp. She has traveled all over the United States and we have learned to live with it. She rides in the back seat of our pickup and does great after we stop. The panting does not seem to do any harm, but it is not pleasant for us. It's been almost 10 years and, as I remember, she did not do this at first but once it started it has not stopped. We've tried all the things you mentioned without any effect
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Maybe you could do as we did and find it a good home with someone else. We refused to let that situation ruin our retirement.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I don't think I could do that, leaving her with another for a extended period would be stressful for me and the wife along with our dog. If I was in a pinch I could take her to the Breeder where we bought her, or my sister, but that's only in a extreme reason.
I did take the responsibility of having a pet and its problems, this is one that I have to solve, with a bit of brain storming on the forum also.
but thanks for your suggestion.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
We have 2 dogs and 1 of them gets antsy when we get in the truck. We just try to make it as much like home as possible. I bring their bed from home and put it in the truck. Our 2 are crate trained and as long as they have their crate, they seem to be happy campers.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
Put in a crate with toys and favorite blanket or towel.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:53 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
ive done all that too
Old 04-06-2017, 11:22 PM   #8
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
Have you tried putting some kibbles in a empty plastic water bottle when he/she gets antsy? Or, you can buy these treat holders to keep it occupied and distract for a while. Also, having the window cracked a little lets it poke it nose out and smell the air. Anything to distract the dog helps. Hope it helps your situation.
What type of dog do you have and how old??
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #9
gjetzen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7542
I'm with mike117, use a crate and their favorite blanky. The DW and I travel with 2 English Springer Spaniels, the go everywhere with us and they are always in their crates. Their crates are their safe space, no crayons or playdough though.
gjetzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #10
Denny and Angie Miller
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash 2 View Post
I don't think I could do that, leaving her with another for a extended period would be stressful for me and the wife along with our dog. If I was in a pinch I could take her to the Breeder where we bought her, or my sister, but that's only in a extreme reason.
I did take the responsibility of having a pet and its problems, this is one that I have to solve, with a bit of brain storming on the forum also.
but thanks for your suggestion.
Good to hear there are other responsible pet owners that understand that when you adopt an animal, you are accepting responsibility for all the good, and bad things that come with it. All our vacations now revolve exclusively around the RV as we choose not to board our 3 shih tzus. We dont go anywhere overnight without them.
Denny and Angie Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:13 PM   #11
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a PBGV and have never spent the night without him. A PBGV is a delightful little hound always fun, never met a stranger and got a head hard as a rock. You NEVER turn them lose. They will put their nose on the ground, see ya, maybe.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 05:47 PM   #12
Kimo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13238
We put a pillow on the center console and let him lay on it between us. He started off pretty bad but has calmed down considerably after a few trips.
Kimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #13
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
My DW holds a full sized pillow in her lap and our little critter lays on it from start to stop. lets us know if she needs a potty stop. Best little traveler you could ask for. Multi-Poo. Will not ride in back seat!
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #14
jeff_banning
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20129
My old Yorkie starts panting and can't quit sometimes, I hate drugging her.

I have found though I can soak her with a bottle of water and cool her down and she will most times immediately quit and go right to sleep.
2017 Ford F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7L PS 4:10's
Monett, MO
jeff_banning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:57 PM   #15
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
My daughter has a Boston Terrier that is on trazadone daily and Xanax when traveling.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:44 AM   #16
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Cab temperature seems to be the ram biggest enemy for our 4yr 70lb chocolate lab - added a fan to the back of the ram 2500. DW got a script from vet - $25/pill ... dumb husband did not load it this last trip - got an OTC which worked 75% of the time. the ram has a nice space for the two girls. not unusual for us to wear sweaters to keep her comfortable
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
RV6A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19552
We travel with 3 cats; Bill, Toby and Stink. We started with crates in the back seat but Toby is an Opera Singer and can wake the dead. We ditched his crate and he now rides in his harness with a leash. He's a nervous boy and peed the first two outings but has not peed in a long time. He sleeps most the time between the other two crates on the back seat.

Bill, the old one can only quack like a duck. That's exactly what his meow sounds like, a duck quacking. We were going through Rapid City a month or so ago and his quacking became constant. Not loud but something was wrong. My wife pulled him out of his crate and put the leash on. He went potty in the litter box and then curled up on the front seat between us. Now we have two leashed cats in the truck and one in the crate.

Stink did not like the idea that she was the only one in a crate and started meowing. She's not loud so it's easy to tune out. I think Stink will remain crated as the boys seem to do well in a harness and leash. They have also learned that they must stay put as I back the fiver. Amazing what they can get used to.

We keep them as cool as possible with fans and the AC on high. My wife wears a sweater and I'm fine. It took awhile but the cats have adjusted to traveling. They do better after the first stop for some reason.
RV6A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:27 AM   #18
cindy3663

M.O.C. #20593
Quote:
She gets stressed out and pants and stairs at the arm rest, we have don Benadryl, calm down pills calm down liquid the pills the vet sold us which seem to strong for her , bought the Thunder wrap with a pill and other vudo pills. but no good results, has anyone out there got any suggestions?
I spent two weeks reprograming my dog, I would go out and just sit in the truck, doors open, engine not running, when the drooling stopped, I then in a few days closed the doors and started the engine, again after the drooling stopped I took him up the road and back couple times a day, when we could do this I then started going farther and farther, the drooling stopped, the anxiety was gone, I also used one of his blankets on the console that he laid on. We went to Mich and back 12 hr. trip and he was fine
cindy3663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #19
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:

My daughter tried everything and Trazadone only helped. While away she saw a different vet and while talking on another item explained the problem traveling. That vet told her to keep him on the Trazadone but the day before travel start him on Xanax. The little Boston Terrier gets a dose more than her neighbor took after surgery but it works.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:27 AM   #20
adams7806
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18681
We have 2 mini dachshunds and they both travel with us. We have a cushion on the back seat and we made a platform that fits between the back seat. As long as he has one of his blankets to roll up in, our little Rudy is happy. Roxy has to sit with her nose right by my husband's elbow on the console. We went on a 10,000 mile trip this year and they both did great. No problems at all.
adams7806 is offline   Reply With Quote