Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
krtam
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7840
Power Station/air compressor

What do you guys think of this?
http://interstatedeals.com/index.php...oducts_id=1681

Costco has this same unit in its stores for $79.95. It was also featured as a buyer's pick in the Costco Connection magazine. Kevin and I looked at it in the store and wanted to know if anybody else has seen it. It is not on costco.com so I did a google search to find this web site to post. Kevin is looking to buy an air compressor and looked at the ones suggested on a previous post(Sears, Black and Decker, Harbour Freight, etc.) but had not bought one yet, then saw this one with all the extras in the Costco magazine.
Any input would be appreciated. (Kevin is on a plane today on his way to Fargo, ND, so I will forward any feedback to him)
Thanks, Sharon

krtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:52 AM   #2
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Personal opinion here. It would be good for emergency use in a car or light truck. I would want to check its capacity to put 80# or 100# air in a RV tire (you might be able to do it, but will it take 10 minutes or an hour). Also it looks like it will not power much with a 20 amp breaker. I would not expect to use it for dry camping.

So it depends on what your expected usage would be.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I agree with Rouge. If you want it for a versatile item it would work. The battery should help jump start a car or gas truck but the Diesels have two batteries for a reason, high compression and extra current needed (more than in this unit). It is heavy and will add to your trailer weight or Tow Vehicle. I know nothing of the compressor.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
You might say it "does not turn our crank"?
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I know many of you may find this hard to believe, but I bought a similar one years ago, it is very light duty for most things you would need it for, I took the air pump out and used it for my Hadley air horns. It was so light duty, it did not last long at all. If you remember ever trying to jump start a car and having to rev your engine even car-to car, it is because a starter requires a ton of amps, a truck more, as mentioned.
I would pass, on it. (I think I still have some parts left from my old one, somewhere)
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Sharon,
I believe it will be a little too light for use in pumping up the rig's tires. I have a 120-volt compressor that takes forever to get up to 80 psi. But my Harbor Freight 12-volt pump aired up a tire from 40-psi to 80 psi in about three minutes. I've never had any portable air compressor operate that quickly before. For the money, you can't go wrong with the Harbor Freight pump.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
The Harbor Freight pump sounds very interesting. Is there a particular model that I would be looking for or do they only care the one 12 volt model.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sharon-- The Harbor Freight 12 volt compressor is all that you need! You can rig it up to the battery in the Monte also and the hose on it will reach the rear tires of the Monte if needed but I leave mine loose in the from basement and then if needed I can either use it off the Monte's battery or off my TV's. It even use it to blow out the lines when I winterize up here in Nebraska! Still haven't talked the DW into fulltiming yet but hope to do more longtiming within this next year or two. But anyway, the Harbor Freight is the one to go with> Just make sure do as Ozz said in a previous thread and check the screws on the cover to make sure they are tight before the first run or you could burn the thing out. Right OZZ??
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:24 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, it will not reach pressure, and it will rattle. It could burn up because it would not shut off because of the leakage around the head.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote