Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 06:01 AM   #1
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Water tank

I have a new 2014 High Country 305RL I'm not sure if this is a problem or not. I filled the water holding tank yesterday for the first time, and disinfected it according to the manual. I located my gravity overflow vent and made sure it was working. When my tank was full, water flowed out of the gravity vent (I know this is normal). What I wasn't expecting is water flowing out right under where I hook up the hose (its sealed underneath, and its possible the tank is there.) The water flow stopped when the gravity vent expelled the excess water.

My question--is there another overflow near where you put water in? (on the tank itself maybe?)

anglerdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
Could it be the low point drains that were leaking under the convenience center? Were those valves open??
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
The word I got from Darryl at the Montana Factory Service Center, a few years back was, DO NOT fill until water flows out of the overflow. He said to keep an eye on the tank monitor and when the tank level lights indicate full, immediately turn off the water supply. If water is flowing into the tank at a higher volume than can exit through the tank vent, pressure builds quickly and you can crack or rupture the tank seams if you let it go on for too long.

My rig has the gravity fill port next to the small tank vent, as well as the Power Fill in the convenience center, and he said to open the fill cap too so it would vent quicker, but I don't think you have the gravity fill port on your new rig.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Good to know Overlord. It would be nice to have the tank fill guage near the convenience center if we're suppose to keep an eye on it. I don't think my tank is leaking, since the water dripping stopped as soon as the the pressure equalized. I kept the water tank full overnight with no issues.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Were you power filling through the city water connection Mike? If so, give CW service a call. Although I insisted I had a leak there the first time I used a city water connection, CW tested it and found nothing. I have chalked it up to high water pressure at that campground. Could you have had higher than normal water pressure that day? Maybe it was the day Flint came off the water line and pressure spiked. LOL.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:12 PM   #6
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Assuming there is a separate nipple on top of the water tank to accommodate any overfill condition ... perhaps the hose going from the tank to the overfill vent was not tightened in the first place or has worked loose a bit. This would follow the lack of a leak after the overfill vent quit gurgling. Just drop the belly pan enough to check it out ... it should just be a hose clamp like on your radiator.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 AM   #7
anglerdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14097
Kevin, I was filling it with the power fill at my home. Just sanitizing the tank. Dieselguy, that's a good idea. I'm about to take it out for a week, and will be filling the tank again. I'll keep an eye on it, and check to make sure the fittings are tight. I had the same issue under the bathroom sink the first time we hooked up water. Fittings just not tightened down.