Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2012, 04:24 AM   #21
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snfexpress

Michael,

Your rear stabilizers should not move due to the high torque of the motor. This implies that your motor is defective.
Yes, motor is defective: removed and in the basement until I can contact GoodSam to have it replaced.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 AM   #22
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Having now gone back and reread your original post, I goofed. The motor I replaced was the landing gear motor, not the rear stabilizers. Guess if I'd wake up from my nap before typing I would have more of a positive addition to the discussion. It does seem to me that the front motor would have to be more powerful/expensive than the rear, though.
Walt, I have pretty much decided that logic (and honesty) are not always applied to prices of things.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #23
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by washley1

Having now gone back and reread your original post, I goofed. The motor I replaced was the landing gear motor, not the rear stabilizers. Guess if I'd wake up from my nap before typing I would have more of a positive addition to the discussion. It does seem to me that the front motor would have to be more powerful/expensive than the rear, though.
Walt, I have pretty much decided that logic (and honesty) are not always applied to prices of things.
I know, but I keep hoping....
washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #24
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jwedell

If there is a Grainger in the area you might try bringing it to them. They don't rebuild them but they may have a match that is cheaper. If you do please keep us posted. John
Think our Good Sam ESP will cover the problem...will post results in about a month.
Contacted Good Sam ESP a week or so ago and cleared taking the Montana into Camping World in Tampa to do the repair work...as it turned out, was told the motor was not covered since there was water in the motor housing...well, so much for Good Sam's ESP. Given how this worked out, do not think I will be renewing! On a good note, the Camping World tech was able to do some work on the motor and it is now working better than before!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 AM   #25
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Water seems to be the common culprit because the wire inlet isn't always properly sealed by the manufacturer.

Am disappointed about GS ESP not covering the motor!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Water seems to be the common culprit because the wire inlet isn't always properly sealed by the manufacturer.

VERY!
Old 11-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #27
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Quote:

VERY!
And after a couple of calls today, learned that it is GS ESP's position that the water in the motor housing is considered (by them)a matter of "owner neglect!" I have always opted for extended service plans with all of our big purchase items over the years and this is the first time I have ever been stuck by this kind of "slippery" treatment. Expected much better from an organization that is supposed to champion RVers....
Old 11-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #28
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
Did GS neglect to explain where in the contract it says the customer is expected to provide quality control of manufactured products installed in our trailers and remedy any issues before a possible failure can occur? We better get out and check that the motors in our power awnings are water tight too

Dave
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:06 PM   #29
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by drsmart

Did GS neglect to explain where in the contract it says the customer is expected to provide quality control of manufactured products installed in our trailers and remedy any issues before a possible failure can occur? We better get out and check that the motors in our power awnings are water tight too

Dave
I usually get angry over things like this, but this one is so absurd, I can only shake my head in wonder....
Old 12-02-2012, 06:16 AM   #30
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I guess I'll stick to using my power drill with 3/4" bit to "motorize" my stabilizers and then the wrench to tighten them down. So much for another convenience that falls short.

Regarding GS, the argument should be used that it's not the owners responsibility to "seal" $500 motors that should be properly sealed at the factory. With the logic they are using, I can't see that they will cover roof leaks as "ownership" problems with that logic, or refrigerator or plumbing leaks and anywhere else this kind of crap can occur. Is there anywhere in the ownership guides that a stabilizer motor is supposed to be sealed by the owner to make it an ownership issue? Then I'll believe them, but as an owner, using a motor intended to be exposed to the elements and it leaks, then this is a manufacturing or a design issue and not an ownership issue. I would have LOVED to be on THAT phone call.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote