Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
jackson47

M.O.C. #11720
Do Not buy Montana High Country 343 RL

Hi Everyone,

Just got off phone with Keystone Customer Service with a technician on the line.
My issue is with a brand new purchased in June '11 343 RL High Country. After purchasing I noticed on drive home from TX to NV that the trailer listed to one side (driverside). It has been to two different repairshops for measurements. None of which have measured the area I believe is causing the problem. I have measured over the axle side to side and the listing side is 7/8" to 1" lower from frame to top of axle. Since I have the trailer in my possession, I crawled under trailer to check measurements again trailer frame to axle and frame to ground. Frame to ground measurement is slightly different 7/8" vs 5/8" might be the contour of concrete pad. I also noticed that the vapor barrier was abraided and bare wood was showing above one of the tires on the driverside. I could not find any other damage above the other tires. I have driven this trailer 2,100. I have continuely told Keystone Rep it's the springs. This unit has three slides on driverside and large livingroom slide on entry side. Having weighed the trailer to get side to side weights, I found the driverside to weight 880 pounds more over the axles on that side.

The High Country is a light weight Montana. Gross weight is 12,500 with 5200 pound axles. Empty pin weight of 1,740, delivery weight of just under 10,000 pounds.

Keystone's response to my concern was all of their measurements were within specs. I told them about the wear above the tire. They said take it back to a Keystone service center. I asked if they were okay with the tire wearing a hole in the vapor barrier. They only replied that the trailer met spec. I asked them to confirm that the number one rated trailer company was okay with my concerns that the trailer and tire are rubbing. Their response trailer checked out but you can take it back to a Keystone repair center.

This trailer has been at a repair facility off and on for just over three months. I am so tired of this issue.

Bottom line. BEAWARE OF THE HIGH COUNTRY 343 RL.

jackson47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jack-- Did you take it back to a dealer or a Keystone Service Center? There is a difference and the Service Center is in the know to check this out and fix it if there is a problem! I'm sorry to say but a lot of the dealers do not know what they are doing or what to look for! You may have to take it up to Ohio to get things done but they will do it right!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Jack-- Did you take it back to a dealer or a Keystone Service Center? There is a difference and the Service Center is in the know to check this out and fix it if there is a problem! I'm sorry to say but a lot of the dealers do not know what they are doing or what to look for! You may have to take it up to Ohio to get things done but they will do it right!
What's in Ohio (besides buckeyes - whatever those are)? What about taking it to the factory in Goshen, Indiana?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Sorry about that! I've got to read my posts better before hitting enter! I did mean Goshen, IN! Give the Service Center a call(if you need the number I'm sure we can get that for you) and see when they want it there! They will go through it with a fine tooth comb and find things that you don't even know about! I don't know if they make the High Country up in Oregon but the Goshen stop would be your best bet!
Old 11-18-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ron I was at the factory in pendelton and don't think they make any of the montanas there but are real nice folks and can fix things on any trailer IIRC.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Keystone has a very good service center in Pendelton, Oregon.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Yesterday morning 11/18/2011 at about 10 AM I had a fellow by the name of Mike answer the phone on the customer service line at Keystone.

I enquired about the possibility of getting an appointment at the service center in Goshen.

The man looked my VIN up and then told me Keystone doesn’t have a service center at Goshen or anywhere else and doesn’t do repairs to trailers and I would just have to find a Keystone authorized dealer to do repairs.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I can't believe anyone would expect a customer to pull a unit all the way from Nevada to either Oregon or Indiana for repairs. Not unless they are compensated, and undoubtedly they aren't gonna do that. If you have a lemon law, I would suggest using it. If not, it'll be a lot cheaper to put new springs on the trailer than pulling it across two or more states.

And Phil, that story sort of backs up what I've always said. You have to go to the rally at Goshen and rub elbows with the "big dogs" to get anything done there. I've never had much luck dealing directly with Keystone. The only thing I ever got was them to pull the build ticket on ours and confirm there was no second AC prep, even tho the invoice showed it, and a $100 charge for it. Other than that, simply no help at all. Keystone sure ain't number one on my list.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:59 AM   #9
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I`m not sure where some of you get all your information. I live in California 1,200 miles from the Pendelton, Oregon service center.
Keystone paid to have my Montana hauled from Orange County, California to Pendelton, Oregon. When the repairs were completed they gave me the choice of paying me to pick it up or bringing it back to California. I went and picked it up and had a very nice 11 day trip on Keystone. At the time I had never been to any Montana Rally. The service centers are for warranty work, they never charge you for anything. They are not centers for out of warranty repairs. It`s hard for me to understand why Keystone would tell anyone that they do not have Service Centers, but you do need a legitimate reason for the appointment.
Old 11-19-2011, 06:36 AM   #10
jackson47

M.O.C. #11720
Thanks for input.
My post was basicly to put up a red flag for the High Country. It is a Montana "Light". I should have known better.

Old 11-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Phil and Willie-- I don't know where you are calling or what number you are using but I'll tell you one thing like Ron H has just stated KEYSTONE DOES HAVE SERVICE CENTERS(one in Goshen,IN and one in Pendelton, OR) and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE FALL RALLY TO HAVE SERVICE DONE ON YOU MONTANA PRODUCT! If you didn't like the unit why did you purchase it? IF both of you are so unhappy with your Montana or Keystone product, what are you still doing with it? IF it were me, I would have traded my unit off by now and gone out and brought one of the other brands. IF you do, don't expect a 100% problem free unit there either (there is no such thing)or any better customer service from the other guys either unless you want to pay the price for them to come out to your site and that ain't cheap! Their dealers are just the same as any of the Keystone dealers, infact many are the same dealers! If you get on the phone and "raise h--l" about something in an confrontational state, nobody will talk to you and if it were me, I'd hang up on you!

Jack-- Your unit is a 2011 unit and still under warranty. Do as the Customer Service Rep told you and take it back to a service center. Yah, it may mean a trip away from your area but as Ron H said you can talk to them and they WILL take care of it even if they have to come and get it! They did with his, even before he was a rally attendee, and they will do it with yours! If you don't want to take it to one of the service centers, talk to them and ask them to recommend a dealer they know can fix it or at least check it out to see what the problem is! It sounds to me like you have a bad spring or the possibility of a broken hanger but that's JMHO and I'm not an RV Tech just the owner of a used Montana that's 7 years old! I also know several people that have the High Country and they really enjoy theirs and have had no problems with them!
Old 11-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Phil and Willie-- I don't know where you are calling or what number you are using but I'll tell you one thing like Ron H has just stated KEYSTONE DOES HAVE SERVICE CENTERS(one in Goshen,IN and one in Pendelton, OR) and YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO THE FALL RALLY TO HAVE SERVICE DONE ON YOU MONTANA PRODUCT!
I never doubted there are 2 service centers. To many people here have been to them. This is an example of the type of brown smelly stuff you get from customer service.

Quote:
quote:If you get on the phone and "raise h--l" about something in an confrontational state, nobody will talk to you and if it were me, I'd hang up on you!
I am glad you were able to listen in on our phone conversation to be able to make this kind of statement.

The only person that acted improperly during any of my conversations with Keystone customer service when I spoke to them on the phone was this last guy Mike. All of the other persons were quite professional even though they wouldn’t help.

Quote:
quote:Jack-- Your unit is a 2011 unit and still under warranty. Do as the Customer Service Rep told you and take it back to a service center.
I agree. The owners that have been able to get by the “gate Keepers” and get the chance to get to a service center have been very pleased with the results. I would guess that you would find it quite beneficial to tow your unit back to one of the service centers. I also read on one of the post here that you would probably be more satisfied if you go back to Goshen because of their experience level with the type unit you have.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:57 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Took ours to Goshen, did have problems with the folks on the phone but insisted I get an appointment. The service center was excellent. Fixed everything and found a number, some of them major, items we weren't aware of and fixed it all. A couple things they fixed were our fault and we didn't expect them to fix them, just tell us how to avoid messing up again in the future. They fixed them anyway.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:00 AM   #14
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Sometimes one can only judge how one talks on the phone by the way he writes on the fourm.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:16 AM   #15
jackson47

M.O.C. #11720
When I have mentioned putting on heavier leaf springs Keystone rep says if you do you will pay for it even if it corrects the problem. Tire hitting area over tire worn a hole in vapor barrier and I can see wear to tire thread little chunks of rubber torn off all the way around the tire.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #16
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Typical thread. I believe some of you guys suffer lack of reading comprehension. Jackson47 said in his original post he just got off the phone with Keystone Customer Service. They say his unit is in spec. So, what makes one think they will suddenly have a tremendous change of heart and offer an expense paid vacation in Oregon or Indiana?

As I've said before, I was so relieved when our warranty expired and I didn't have to deal with Keystone any more. Extended service plan is so much easier to deal with.

And to whoever posted as to why I didn't trade our unit off.....I know RV quality is poor, and I simply don't want to deal with the crap that comes with a new RV any more.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
May this topic rest in peace.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:20 PM   #18
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
Boy - everyone has different experiences, but both Keystone and my dealer have been great. We had a problem while on a trip in Port Angeles, WA, called Keystone and ended up having a local NON KEYSTONE mobile repair shop fix the problem, and Keystone reimbursed me when I got home through my local dealer! Had another problem on a trip in Oregon, they sent me to a dealer about 50 miles from where we were, and they fixed it while we waited under warranty. I have never talked to anyone at Keystone who wasn't helpful. So....something doesn't add up here.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:36 PM   #19
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Perhaps taking it to a spring and alignment shop to get a diagnosis, in writing, then contacting Keystone again and have them authorize payment. Or call Keystone first and ask if they have someone in your area that can do that. After I had
MorRyde install my IS I drove back down headed for Texas. In Oklahoma, one tire was showing unusual wear so I called MorRyde and they had me take it to a spring shop in Ok City for an alignment check. It checked out fine but the tire, A chinese made power king, I believe, was breaking down so we changed the tire and had no problems after that. I find sometimes if you give these people sensible options they become more agreeable. Come get this damn thing would not be one of those options.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #20
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
With the fine advise from one of our members (exav8tr) let's put this topic to bed. Thanks to all our members who posted with the MOC Mission in mind. RVWheels, MOC Admin.
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote