Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2008, 05:59 PM   #41
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
That was our thought as well. We will attack that tomorrow. We are exhausted. Thanks for the suggestion. All these great minds are working alike!!

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:33 PM   #42
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Tammy, I just LOVE throwing a good ol' hissy fit when nothing else works! If I didn't know better, I'd swear you had Southern roots. I don't know if Texas counts as "Southern," but I do know how to pitch a good hissy fit. Tomorrow will be a better day. Tomorrow will be a better day. Tomorrow will be a better day. Enjoy that Chinese food! One more "on the bright side": On the bright side, black tank problems and all, you are in Alaska, a beautiful place. Trying to explain it to people who've never been there is hard. I used to tell them that Alaska was sort of like Colorado . . . on steroids. Once you get Elly Mae's problems fixed, you'll get to enjoy things again. Don't get discouraged. For sure, camping like you and Bernie and Wayne and I are doing is not everyone's idea of a good time, but the positives outweigh the negatives most of the time. Now, I better find that ice pick and a flashlight because we have a wind storm in progress, and stomping through the snow in the dark in search of a large sagebrush is not the best alternative to being unable to get into the Porta-Pottie! Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 07:20 PM   #43
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Oh honey child, does this tell you how Southern I am? Well, butter my butt and call me a bisquit. I was born in Florida and grew up between FL and Georgia. Bernie is from South Georgia. My Southern does show and ya know, these folks up here will hear us talk and then say, Are you from the South? I respond, yea, South Alaska!!!! By the way, I love your visual of AK, sort of like Colorado . . . on steroids. That is a very good description.

Supper was yummy. Always is from Panda Restaurant. We got our showers (that felt good). I am getting a load or two of laundry done and we are watching TV. Will make sure I have all the dishes washed before bed and we will sleep tight before we attack Elly Mae tomorrow.

I am familiar with sagebrush in your neck of the woods. And a pretty neck it is! Haven't been to Sheridan since the fall, but stay in close contact with some friends down there. It's cold!! But I tell you I could sit and look at that part of Montana every day while sitting on a front porch in a rocking chair - and be happy about it!

You are right my cold-weather sister, tomorrow will be a better day! Because I love cold weather and I AM HAVING FUN!!!!
Old 02-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #44
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Bernie and I just headed over to the bath house before going to bed. When we walked out the door of Elly Mae, there are the Northern Lights dancing overhead. We are having a bad experience, out of many, many good ones, and it was so beautiful. I don't care how many times I watch the Northern Lights, I am completely mesmerized. Wish I could record them to share with y'all.

Yep, I love cold weather and I am having fun!
Tammy
Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 AM   #45
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ya'll are crazy! I can just picture Wayne or Carolyn have a stuck butt on the cold seat, duck walking with a port-a-potty on their back, side by side, to the nearest water spigot!!

Ya'll take care, Ya hear!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #46
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
It does give a visual!!!!

Ok, when it warms up to 0, we are about -10 now, Bernie will get outside and drop Elly Mae's belly and see if we can confirm our valve is attached to the motor. We have a feeling it's not.

Updates to follow. Y'all keep an ear out toward Alaska. If you hear hollerin' then we got it! If you hear cussin' then we don't.
Tammy
Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 AM   #47
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Tammy,
This is absolutely the most fascinating thread that I have ever been exposed to on this forum. I wish I had some comforting words of wisdom, but unfortunately not. The only thing I can think of is when you finally get on the "Hillbilly Ride", you can rest assured it will be above freezing!!!!! Please keep us informed of your obvious dedication to defeating the circumstances that you are dealing with!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 09:39 AM   #48
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well gang, we have made a small, very small, amount of progress. Bernie has been able to get up to the valve and sees that the handle is broken. I asked him if he can fix it? He said probably. Hallelujah! I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. Now if I could only smell roses on the way to the destination!!!!!
Well, I have lit some of my Clean Cotton Yankee Candles. It has to be better than our alternative.....
Keep those prayers going up!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #49
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Don't forget to put all the pipes back together before opening that Valve .

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #50
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Wouldn't that be ugly??!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:10 AM   #51
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Ladies & Gentlemen, Bernie just stuck his head in the door and announced the black tank is dumping - slowly! PRAISE THE LORD! Hallelujah! Yippy! Woo Hoo! I will continue to update on our progress and Bernie will post pics of his fancy new clean out valve!!!! He just came back in and said that he doesn't think the paper is leaving the tank - only the liquid. One problem down. Stay tuned for more updates!
Old 02-03-2008, 10:21 AM   #52
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Run Lot's & Lot's of Water.
and when you are finished............ Run lot's & lot's & Lot's of Water

J&D
Old 02-03-2008, 10:24 AM   #53
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Uh Oh! The TP has now stopped the flow and we are plugged again. Bernie is still working. Believe me, I am going to run 100 gallons or more through this baby! Notice I said the TP. It has been plugged up for 4 days with a full bottle of digester and we still have Thetford TP in whole clumps in the tank. Never again will Thetford cross my threshold.
More updates to follow.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #54
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Glad to hear you are getting somewhere !!

Of all the RV's we've owned, Most had tapered Black Tanks with gate valves at the bottom of the Taper.
The Montana seems to have a flat wide bottom to this tank which makes it very hard to drain properly.
You couldn't add enough water to the toilet each time you use it.

I fill ours up with water 2 or 3 times after dumping to flush it out.

J&D
Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 AM   #55
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
The black tank is empty and has had its first washing! Yippy! I'll let Bernie explain what was wrong with the valve. He's tried explaining it to me, and I don't get it. But he does and he fixed it and he's super! We haven't been able to find Calgon anywhere in Anchorage. So, we got some Cascade. I will try that now. The tank is getting her second wash. Once he's done out there, the cleaning in the bathroom can begin.

Oh, what a happy camper I am.

Know what? I love cold weather and I'm having fun!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 12:02 PM   #56
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Looking forward to hearing the explaination and fix.

We are VERY happy for you and the flushing (AND DRAINING) loo!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #57
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
My husband used one of those things that fit on the end of a water hose. It spreads apart and uses pressure to break that loose. My DH helped our next door neighbor unclog his toy hauler. Had so much tissue in it you could see it from inside by looking down the stool.
It is about $18 dollars at Home Depot. Can't remember what it is called. You put it on end of a water hose, stick the water hose down the stool, turn the water on and this thing expands and has high pressure. Works great. Home depot will know what you are talking about if you tell them how it works.
for the next time.
Happy you got it unstuck.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #58
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
A toilet wand. Used one. That's what got the black tank overflowing in the first place. There was so much Thetford down there, it just wouldn't bust through. However, we now not only have the toilet wand, we have 3, yes 3, different types of fish tape, plumbing line, whatever you want to call it.
Thanks!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #59
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
Congratulations! I'll bet you'll even enjoy cleaning!!! Just remember, you love cold weather and you're having fun!!!
Anyway, we are glad to hear you are now back in business! Here's hoping to no more problems or at least only small ones!
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #60
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thank y'all so much for keeping me sane while Bernie repaired Elly Mae. What wonderful friends we have in the Montana forum. Y'all are awesome!
And you are right. Cleaning will be so fun! It is one time I won't fuss because the bathroom needs cleaning!
This evening, after Bernie has had a chance to recuperate from this mess, he will post the explanation and some pics on here so y'all can see what all he did and fixed and found!
Tammy