Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Brrr it's cold outside! Winter Camping
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 08:18 AM   #1
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Here's what I have learned - and I'm naming names.

I'm having a bad day and need to tell my Monty friends what I have learned.

First, avoid Thetford toilet paper at all costs. We've been using it for years with no problems. All of a sudden it will NOT breakdown and we are attempting to unplug the black tank for the 2nd time this week. We have already thrown away all Thetford TP and purchased Angel Soft. AS passes the water test with flying colors. We dumped an entire bottle of digester down the toilet last night out of desperation. Did it do any good? Absolutely not. So, don't use Odorless or something like that. Because it is just as useless as Thetford at doing what it says it will do.

Second, this whole propane tank thing is really beginning to get old. See Bernie's post on heating tanks. I am sick and tired of waking up at 5:00 am to a 39 degree interior. 'Nuf said.

Third, I'm not sure why but yesterday it took me 8 hours to get 3 loads of laundry completed. This goes back to the black tank. Having to turn off the water pump because of the toilet wand being used. I'm not going to explain it, just trust me. I was here.

Now, I want to thank each and every one of you for all of your wonderful and thoughtful suggestions. Bernie is currently on the roof making sure our sewer vent is open. It took 4 hours, but we now have our interior temp up to 70 and I stil need to go to the bathroom. Maybe the dog should take me for a walk. I am going to go sit in a corner and cry. I will recover and be back to my happy self in no time. However, I may need Ozz to get me in with that therapist that he said I don't need because I'm too mellow! Tee Hee Hee I just keep reminding myself that I do love the cold weather and I am having fun!
Tammy

Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
timothy
Established Member

M.O.C. #6723
Could the black tank have frozen up?
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #3
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Nope. Besides running a heater on it last night for ever, we can hear it sloshing. Also, the valve isn't broken because we have electronic valves and we are certain they are working. We even raised the landing gear last night and came and stood inside and made this thing to the side to side boogy. The dog and cat were not amused, but the neighbors got a kick out of it. We opened the valve to the sewer line (down below) and there sits all that darn TP. We tried plunging, pulling, poking, everything. No movement! No pun intended. But now it's so full, it's backing up into the toilet.

Bernie just left to go exchange our LP tank at the dealer. It's either that or I'm getting out the gun and going to town on the black tank!!!

Thanks, Timothy, I feel better!
Old 02-01-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tammy, I wrote a long response, and the internet ate it! GRRR

See if I can reconstruct some of it.

1. consider doing my icky trick, not putting the gently used TP in that black tank. No matter what kind of TP it is.

2. consider that the tank is about 4 to 6 inches deep, maybe 3 to 4 foot by 6 or 7 foot the other way. That is not very deep.

3. Any chance that your outside sewer hose is plugged/frozen. SteveR has that happen, if you leave the gray or galley tanks open, and then, say, wash your hands, that is not much water going out that sewer hose and in the kind of temps you are having, it simply freezes, slowly closing up to the point of pluggin.

I hope this posts, and I hope your ranting helped ya feel better, boy, I can relate to the frustration you are facing.

Keep us up to date, specially if you find the solution. Waking up in those cold temps, hey, we would all be a bit testy.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
MrsCG, thank you for understanding! No the sewer hose isn't frozen because we do not ever leave any of our tank valves open to drain directly into the sewer. Had the hose freeze once and we learned our lesson.
Bernie just got back from the dealer and we have a new LP tank. Let's see what happens.
Well, I'm off to help him outside with the black tank. Do you think a chain saw would be too much??? Maybe I should call Mythbusters. They seem to have a fairly good supply of dynamite.
Tammy
Old 02-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Tammy ... Did you mix the tissue digester in a big pan with hot water and then add more hot water? (And it does take a couple of days to "digest" all the paper. We have since switched to Angel Soft as well.) We had very good results that way. Totally understand you're frustration ... our toilet was out-of-commision during the Not-So-Great-Non-Functioning-Toilet-Debacle-of-'05 when ours was blocked for 15 days.

Good luck ...
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #7
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I have an update.
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
The sewer hose broke. Bernie has gone to get another one. We are still plugged up. I am still mad and my head is starting to hurt. Annndddd, I have to go to the bathroom.
I'm getting very testy. Needed to vent. Thanks for listening!
Old 02-01-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I hate to laugh when others are in pain. Your story is not funny, but you tell it funny, so it is hard not to laugh. From what you describe, I am not sure it is venting you need. Perhaps letting it all out means something different for you.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Let me continue the saga. Bernie has now gone to get new plumbing. We are ripping the blank tank and all associated pipes OUT OF THE RIG that is only 5 weeks old. We are going to replumb this piece of _______ in zero degrees. My feet are numb, my hands are numb, my husband is ticked off and my bladder is busting. And my neighbor wants to give me instructions on how to winterize my rig. Don't go there.
I love cold weather and I'm having fun...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM   #10
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Tammy,
I have to agree with Stiles about it being told funny. Sorry you're having problems. I wish I could help, but we have not had any of those things go wrong. Yet. One thing about this forum that is so great, is that we learn so much about things that CAN go wrong and IF they ever do with us, we'll have a pretty good idea of what to do. Hang in there and I'm glad that you are comfortable enough to share with us. We feel your pain. Hugs.
Love ya,
Snooty Snicklebutt (LOL)
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Thank you, I needed that. But please don't hug to tight, I might leak...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #12
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Can somebody just please get me a mojito? Pronto!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Tammy, pull the blinds, find a can and go potty! Poor thing, you are in enough pain, if you can relieve any of it?? (can I believe I am typing this?? NO!!)

Did the trip to get new propane tanks prove to be affective?? Are you getting any heat yet???

Gracious, you are one tough gal to withstand all this.

We are still swinging beads or whatever we can, sending all our good thoughts and vibes.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM   #14
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Well, my dear, at the moment we have heat. Although I am so cold, I don't feel it. My dog's ears are just as red as a stop sign so I know the heat's working. Bernie is now on his way to home depot to get a clean out valve. Then he's picking up a pizza and we are going to eat before we blow this thing apart. I am seriously considering using a cup to feel better and offering it to whichever of my neighbors here who want to let me use their book to educate myself on how to winterize my rig. Hmmmm?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:43 PM   #15
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Did I happen to mention that we just discovered our truck has a leak? Think it's an oil leak. Not sure. When I get all this mess fixed, I'm going to have a blessing of my personal fleet! Do ya get my drift???
I love cold weather and I'm having fun..
Old 02-01-2008, 01:49 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Yellow snow is yellow snow, just say the dog did it??

Oh, dear. You poor thing, course, pizza for dinner ain't so bad! Enjoy it.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:58 PM   #17
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Tammy,
The neighbor is being so helpful, ask to use his toilet. Make sure you use lots and lots of toilet paper and maybe he'll see the CANdle light.

Dinky Farkledunkin
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Y'all are a hoot! Maybe I should get all that Thetford out of the trash and take that over. I'll just tell my neighbor I travel with my own TP.

Bernie did find out some info about a change in Thetford TP today. I'm not sure of the specifics so I'll get him to post it when he gets a chance. But he found it out at a camping store while he was getting a new sewer hose. Cause you know, we had one break!

Old 02-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #19
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Tammy just write it down in your camping dairy as one of life's camping adventures". then when you are old and senile, you can set your great grandchildren down, and tell them about the time when camping in sub-freezing weather, all the ice and snow, and how you and Bernie was in "deep !@(&%#@!, and almost froze to death!! but that you love cold weather and was having fun!!
Seriously I do hope you guys are doing ok and will get your problems fixed soon.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #20
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
Oh Tom, I just want to take a sledge hammer to that stupid tank. I am definitely keeping notes!!! Bernie mentioned when surgery was over for Elly Mae, we were going to post picture of the fixes!!!! And if any of y'all ever, ever go through this, we will be able to help with some tips! And I'll Fed Ex you a can!