Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2011, 12:37 AM   #1
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
TT air pressure

I have 80# rated tires and I start my day (cold) with 80# air pressure,another camper says he starts his day with 95# on the G14 110# tires.He says his heat up to 110# while traveling.Do you start with max air pressure or not?

garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Cyrus
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6535
my tires say cold pressure so I tried to check them in the morning and without the sun shining on them. The heat of the sun on the tire really affects getting them properly inflated.
Cyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I start the day with the stated "cold" max. During the day of travel, the pressure will increase as the tires heat up. That is normal.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

I start the day with the stated "cold" max. During the day of travel, the pressure will increase as the tires heat up. That is normal.
Same as above.. Travel will increase the pressure due to heat. Our cold pressure is 83 psi and on a average dya running at 62/65mph the TPMS will read 91/93 psi
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:19 AM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The cold air pressure recommendation by tire manufacturers take into consideration that the temperature will cause a rise in pressure as the tires are driven on. This is why you should only check the pressure when the tires are cold. I think if your friend has calculated that 95psi is correct, then that's what's important. It's not unusual for a tire to heat up and cause an increase in pressure because that has been estimated by the tire manufacturer. Tires can heat up from friction, convection from the brakes and bearings and the temperature of the road and ambient temperature.

If you do this when they are warm the pressure will read higher and if you remove the pressure at that time to match the cold pressure requirement, this means you will have less air pressure as you are driving and when the tires naturally warm up. Running too low especially means your tires cannot support the load rating you expect, you will be riding more on the sidewall and may experience a blowout.

Use the cold pressure recommendation for your load. Many tires have a psi table depending on the load. I believe the G614 RST is one of those tires with a table. Use the recommended pressure then adjust it if you see abnormal wear. I have Goodyear Marathon (aka Chinese-made bombs) and run them at 80psi (rated for 3420 lbs) even though the weight actually carried on each tire is about 2,400 to 2,700 lbs. I don't travel long distances (longest trip ever was 1,100 miles round trip) or very often (about every 2 to 4 months) and now that the tires are starting to show extra wear in the center tread I will lower the psi to about 75 psi - hopefully I can find a load table to confirm this.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote