Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 PM   #61
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
extra fuel?
i talked to one guy. he has a rigs fuel tank in his bed. said he can do 1800 miles to one tank.
my bladder and butt can not last that long.
and i drive 18 wheelers for a living. got to stop every couple hrs or so, body get all cramed up if i do not.

but as i see it a extra fuel tank can be used to buy fuel at places with a low price.
but is it really needed? fuel has a weight penalty. it cost ( as in burn) more fuel to move a bit more around.
but i have been thinking of a added tsnk for my truck. will i ever get my moneys worth out of it???

packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #62
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
I have had a tank in the bed of each of my last 7 Chevrolet 1ton 8’ bed srw trucks. The extra 50 gallons allowed me the choice of where to fill up. I can stop on the side of the road or in a rest stop or wherever. Normally, depending on the price of fuel where we stop for the night, we will go to town to fuel. Or not.
We now have a Ford so, because of the curved sidewalks of the bed, we only have a 38 gallon tank. Still, we do not fuel at truck stops and when we unhook at the end of our driving day we go to fuel if cheap enough and if we want to take the time.
Our tank that we had in our Chevy paid for itself many times. Electric pump and fuel nozzle btw and it was set up with a fuel filter as well. That way we avoided trouble with any impurities in the fuel as we only filled the seat tank from our bed tank. I expect the tank in this Ford will afford the same economics.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:56 AM   #63
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I've been rolling this around in my mind since I bought this Ram. We go about 1000 miles to Florida in the winter and make 2 stops on the way. With the travel trailer I'd unhook at the campground and go into town for cheap fuel. My Ram tank is 4 gallons less than the Duramax was, so I don't think I can get to my normal stops now without getting fuel.

I'm trying to decide between the 40 gallon rds tank toolbox combo transfer, the rds tank toolbox combo with pump and nozzle, or just going to truck stops and paying another 30 cents per gallon.

I don't like the idea of cutting into my filler neck for the transfer combo, scared of getting metal shavings in my tank. Does cutting into the filler neck cause a possibility of warranty issues?

The rds tank/toolbox with pump and nozzle costs about $500 more.

The plus of having extra fuel would be I could stay hooked up for our quick overnight stops and get going in the morning quicker, plus the savings on fuel costs. It's going to take a lot of fuel though to overcome the transfer tank price (800) or the pump nozzle price (1300).

I can't make up my mind.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #64
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I don't have an aux tank (yet) but looking at it. All of the install videos watched, and 'installation manuals' read, indicate that you actually tie into the hose part of the filler (or vent) tube, depending on which installation you are doing. So, no metal shavings and appears to be a very simple cut the tube to length, insert the adapter and fuel line and done.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #65
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I've been rolling this around in my mind since I bought this Ram. We go about 1000 miles to Florida in the winter and make 2 stops on the way. With the travel trailer I'd unhook at the campground and go into town for cheap fuel. My Ram tank is 4 gallons less than the Duramax was, so I don't think I can get to my normal stops now without getting fuel.

I'm trying to decide between the 40 gallon rds tank toolbox combo transfer, the rds tank toolbox combo with pump and nozzle, or just going to truck stops and paying another 30 cents per gallon.

I don't like the idea of cutting into my filler neck for the transfer combo, scared of getting metal shavings in my tank. Does cutting into the filler neck cause a possibility of warranty issues?

Most filler necks that the gravity fed tanks drain into, go into the rubber part of the neck just inside the bed walls. There is no cutting of metal necks in most applications. The part of metal shavings from the tank worried me as well, so for the first 6-7 tanks, I installed an inline Wix filter to catch any debris. It slows down the rate of transfer, but worth the risk in my opinion. Mine had nothing in it when I removed it.

I bought a tank from ATI-Aluminum Tank Industries as my choice and it's already paid for itself nearly twice over in a year. My tank is a 51 gallon gravity fed with a 12V electric valve that I got from Valves4projects off of Ebay for around $25. I do have a manual shutoff in mine for safety as well. My tank costs around $550

The plus of having extra fuel would be I could stay hooked up for our quick overnight stops and get going in the morning quicker, plus the savings on fuel costs. It's going to take a lot of fuel though to overcome the transfer tank price (800) or the pump nozzle price (1300).

I can't make up my mind.
Tried to answer in red.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:22 AM   #66
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I've climbed under my truck and find no rubber in the fuel neck. Installation videos on my truck show the filler neck being cut twice with a Sawzall in order to place the tee in for the transfer kit.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:58 AM   #67
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
I've climbed under my truck and find no rubber in the fuel neck. Installation videos on my truck show the filler neck being cut twice with a Sawzall in order to place the tee in for the transfer kit.
Then yes, that would cause me to think about that. However, I wonder if it cut be cut with a chain pipe cutter and leave less shavings?!
Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #68
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:

I can't make up my mind.
If you get 10MPG and travel 15000 miles per year, you need 1500 gallon fuel, if you can save an average 10 cents per gallon per fill up you save 150 per year or 9 years to recover the cost of the 1300 tank option, less time if you go with a less expensive option. The worse your fuel mileage the faster the payback period, the better the mileage the longer it will take. That's the dollars and cents, the convenience and versatility... only you can decide on it's value.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #69
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
is there a "combo" tank out there?
90% diesel, 10% gasoline?
diesel for the truck.
gasoline for the generator.
as i use a eu3000
not a built in unit.
thinking just a safer way to trasport 10-15 gallons gasoline. far less chance of it just "walking" off. and much safer to trasport down the hyways.
as there is a way to install a aux full line for this genotator. so no problems there.
custom built ? might out weigh the cost/value of it.
but i can get a steel tank for about $300.usd. forget cap, (about 30 gal) as i do not need a 200 gal tank.
this alone would almost double onbord cap.
fastory fuel light comes on hit switch and tank dumps into factory via gravity.
can find better than on the hwy pricing.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #70
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I have not seen any mention of such a combination fuel tank (diesel and gasoline); in fact I don't remember ever seeing an aux tank for gasoline. All are for diesel only. I'm sure someone will pipe in if they have seen aux tanks for gasoline but I haven't.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #71
packnrat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21805
sofar a couple five gallon steel cans have done me good. so not a big thing. just have to make sure they are well secured.
movement is not a problem. and a bit harder for them to just walk away.
was thinking for more a hard line set up. but not going to spend the coin on a custom tank.
now if honda would make a eu3000 that runs on diesel��.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:43 PM   #72
deanrd
Established Member

M.O.C. #9285
I like the RDS 72773 41 gal. combo box, but it looks like it might be too high for my tonneau cover. My cover has a 1x3 bar that runs along the back of the bed and it doesn't look like the toolbox lid would clear or opening would be limited. Anyone have one with a similar cover? The Titan tank is an option for about $1500, but thats only 20 gals extra.

Dean
deanrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 PM   #73
glkids2
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14213
I just installed myself a titan trekker 50gal aux tank. Fits below my roll up tonneau. About 1100. Easy to install
glkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #74
DaveS1949

M.O.C. #22221
45 gallon tank/toolbox with a toggle switch adds to stock 34 gallon tank. I used it today to keep moving toward my stop for the day. Cost installed was about $800. I did buy it discounted at the Quartzite show from KSH out of Lake Havasu. My dad has a 50 gallon tank from Transfer Flow. We have 1 ton dually diesels crew can. His Avion is 39’, my Montana 3000RK is 36’. Probably not completely necessary, but I am glad that I have it. Especially leaving a low fuel cost state into a high cost state.
DaveS1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 09:23 AM   #75
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
I had a 50 Gal Transfer Flow installed and love it. I can now tow all day without stopping for fuel. I can skip a state and get fuel cheaper if I want. No longer concerned with will I make it to the next station (I80 issue). Only took 17" of my long bed. On dash display,
GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 11:19 PM   #76
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
I strapped in a $100 12 gallon with level gauge marine tank used for outboard boats. Then I use a $10 battery operated (two D cells) that transfers the fuel. Rarely do I need to use it, but it provides the cushion I need for traveling the USA and Canada.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 07:26 AM   #77
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
You guys are to funny. I never stop at truck stops! I only have a 34' er but I have never had a problem getting fuel. Mine is about 13' high and have cleared every gas station roof by many feet. Only thing is sometimes I have to wait for a car to fill up but way better than waiting for a 18 wheeler to fill his truck. I have waited 1/2 hour once and that was enough for me. I have had to back up a few times but I must be a pro because I never have a problem. Funny how some folks will drive 5 miles to save a couple bucks. I like to stop at different towns. You get to see a lot of country when you stop for fuel more often. Stretch those legs and get some coffee. Dont sweat the small stuff like a extra fuel stop. Save you $2,000 for more fuel not more useless weight in the truck.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 07:56 PM   #78
Caniel
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21610
X2 what richfaa said

Caniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 08:02 PM   #79
sdetweil
Established Member

M.O.C. #13656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
Howdy Sam! I'm still in love with your new dually!

On a side note, several of us here are on the list to carry FEMA trailers at a moments notice to areas such as Hurricane Michael destroyed. With curfews in place, limited electricity and lots of damage, you need all the fuel you can carry to reach locations that were easily accessible only days ago.
Thanks! It is amazing. How do I get on that FEMA list? Sounds helpful.

Sam
sdetweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #80
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
Quote:
I marked the existing filler pipe and removed it and did the cutting on the bench. Cleaned everything and reinstalled it.
My tank is a gravity feed 37 gal. tank. It works just great. Fuel gauge reads full until all fuel is used from the aux tank and main tank starts going down. I don't have a problem with that.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote