Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Easy way to shut off fridge light when winterizing

Sometimes the answer is so simple it makes me realize just how dumb I can be. From the new Trailer Life, 10 Minute Tech article. Just pull the switch to shut off the light and insert a toothpick, cotterpin, whatever fits in the small opening next to the switch.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Steve, I saw that too, but I still just pull out the bulb. I've got something to submit to them, if I can figure out how to send it in. Lots of neat simple things there and Highways also.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:24 PM   #3
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
Solving the problem of the fridge light was easy for me. I take the battery out and put it in the garage for the winter. I put the battery on a trickle charger once a month for a day. Come spring back it goes in the camper.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 04:31 PM   #4
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
I like to turn every off!! Once installed the battery switch can turn off or on you battery power. This saves taking out the refer light and also the batteries. The switch I used is a "Perko" and can be found at a marine store.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 10:52 PM   #5
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
Like joe2speed I take the battery out for the winter and put it on a trickle charger from time to time. During the season I use a Perko switch to turn off power like Sunseeker if it is going to be setting for more than about a week between trips. If we are planning on going back out the next weekend I just use a piece of scotch tape over the switch to for the couple of days I leave it open to dry out before turning it back on to cool down for the re-load.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:54 AM   #6
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I installed and use the battery disconnect switch. Previously I just pulled the fuse for the refig and flashlight charger circuits.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:57 PM   #7
paparonsr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #168
A rubber band put on the Refrigerator Light Switch works great. Stretch it over the switch so that it is in the off position. Just takes a couple of seconds.
paparonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:01 AM   #8
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I take the bulb out and pull the flashlight out and turn it around, it still stays in the holder but it is not charging.

I do keep it plugged in all winter and leave fridge on all camping season. We keep the freezer filled and just add perishables before we leave. You leave the fridge on in Your stick home year round so why turn the camper one on and off all camping season?

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:30 AM   #9
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
We have always used one of those table cloth clips used to hold a table cloth on a picnic table. Just push it over the light switch to hold it in. Works great. I'll have to check out that tooth pick method when we get a new trailer.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 11:18 AM   #10
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well on our old one we just removed the bulb while stored for the winter. Our new one cuts off when you turn the power off up top.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 06:54 PM   #11
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
My new Mountaineer's fridge light automatically shuts off if the fridge is turned off. This is great as I always had to unscrew the bulb in the old unit.
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote