Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2004, 03:39 AM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Advertising

Looks like we are going to have advertising on the top of the page. What do you all think of this new development?

I personally do not care for it. If the forum needs money,maybe they should ask the members for donations before inundating us with advertisements. I would be willing to send a check, how about the rest of you?

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:06 AM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Being in business I understand nothing is free.
I do not like the advertisemants either, but if this was a pay site I probably would not have joined in. My thoughts are that there would not be as many members here if it was a pay site.
If the ads are at the top and my personal information is not sold I am not opposed to it, rather than to pay for the site.
However if I start getting junk e-mail on all time and continious pop-ups while in this forum I will be saying good bye as well if I pay for this forum.
Done properly it could be a good thing.
Rick
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:13 AM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I have not found the ads to be offensive to me thus far. In fact, I have gotten so good at ignoring ads on other sites that I didn't notice them till I read this thread. I do like the fact that the Quick Reply has returned.

On the other hand, I find the forum to be valuable enough to me that I would not mind donating toward the cost of the forum to keep it ad free.

I find the "card stock" ads in magazines to be much more offensive to me... ...to the extent that whenever I get a new magazine, I page through it uttering offensive words (silently) as I tear out each of the "offending" ads.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:33 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
If that little banner ad at the top of each page is all they use I will not have any problems BUT if they start using pop-ups or other type of intrusive ads I am out of here. As much as I love this forum I will not put up with intrusive ads. To me an intrusive ads is any ad that requirers me to clic on something before I can continue or where an ad slides onto your screen.

Now having said that I also know that it's those banner ads that are helping to pay for the MOC's being here and continuing to be here. For years I had my own fishing forum and I also had to contend with these ads. BUT (love those buts} the only way these advertisers will continue paying to advertise here is if they get sufficient "clic-thrus". A "clic-thru" is when you actually click on the banner and follow it thru to the advertisers site. All you have to do is click on an ad and a new window will open, let the ad fully load and than close that window. By doing that you have registered a "clic-thru" which is what Clicksor monitors. Clic-thru's are primarily what Clicksor is looking for. You don't have to browse the advertisers web site and you surely don't have to buy anything.

So once or twice a visit to the MOC click on the ads. By doing that you will be helping to pay for this MOC forum which we all love so much.

Hold on what is this all about... web site a hyper link??

Do the words web site appear as a link to another ad??
Does it appear that I placed that hyper link??
Well, I did not make that a hyper link but it turned into one. WHY??
It appears that Glenn and Lorraine are NOW placing advertising links for Clicksor and I DO NOT LIKE THAT ONE BIT.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 05:51 AM   #5
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I HATE the advertising BUT understand nothing is free---darn . Understand what Glenn is saying and agree about the intrusive ads or pop-ups. Please can't we go anyplace (even the forum) without all the junk thrown at us.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:00 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, yours is the second post I've seen that combination of words showing as an ad link. I don't mind the ads at the top but do not like my text being turned into an ad link, either.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 06:07 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I just browsed thru a few other newer threads and find that Clicksor is just picking works at random and turning them into mouse over links that load a tiny ad when you pass your curser over it. This is extremely intrusive as the ad covers part of the text of the post and I do not care for it one bit.

I think maybe it's time that Montana or Keystone started kicking in to support this forum.
This forum does so much FREE advertising for Montana I think it is time they reciprocate.
I'd rather see an ad for the new Cambridge or any Montana/Mountaineer than the garbage "content targeted advertising" that Clicksor will be placing here.

Old 12-05-2004, 06:16 AM   #8
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Maybe if Camping World and other RV related vendors were listed it would be a little better.
What's the top of MOC gonna say next??? Got Erectile Dysfunction?

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:00 AM   #9
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
I don't like my words being made into advertisements either. That stinks!!! Some people have some very good ideas.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 08:35 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
OK, First the Quick Reply boxes disappeared than they reappeared.

Than we had banner ads across the top of the pages and our words randomly turned into advertising hyper links. Now they are gone too!

Please someone tell me I wasn't dreaming.
Tell me I saw what I saw.
Did you see what I saw????
I feel like I am on a seesaw.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:44 AM   #11
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I'm sorry, I will be acting pretty dumb here, but I don't have any advertisements on my MOC site? I don't want any, but I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I don't have any advertisements either.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 09:44 AM   #13
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
What advertising? I see nothing anywhere that looks like an AD! No text turning into links or ADs.... What are you folks talking about? I can assure you that MOC admins have nothing to do with any ADs! Someone must have hacked ForumCo! If that is the case it looks as if ForumCo has already caught the problem and fixed it. Please continue to report any abnormal stuff that shows up. Thanks, RVWheels

PS... I'd suggest everyone do a double check of their systems using their Anti-virus systems. Also do your Ad-Ware and Spy-Bot type checks. If you don't have these items then get them right away and use them often.

RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:06 AM   #14
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
THe only ad I see is the one at the top of the home page for AOL. Since my ling is direct to the forums I didn't see it and had to look for what everyone was talking about.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:17 AM   #15
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
I don't see any ads either. I can access the MOC site thru either AOL or IE and I get no ads on either. Of course I have my "Popup blockers" turned on on both sites.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:40 AM   #16
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
There were ads at the top of the page this morning. Seems to have disappeared now.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 10:49 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RVWheels

What advertising? I see nothing anywhere that looks like an AD! No text turning into links or ADs.... What are you folks talking about? I can assure you that MOC admins have nothing to do with any ADs! Someone must have hacked ForumCo! If that is the case it looks as if ForumCo has already caught the problem and fixed it. Please continue to report any abnormal stuff that shows up. Thanks, RVWheels

PS... I'd suggest everyone do a double check of their systems using their Anti-virus systems. Also do your Ad-Ware and Spy-Bot type checks. If you don't have these items then get them right away and use them often.
RVWheels,
Not sure if this will help or not but the ads were from Clicksor, Content Targeted Advertising . with a ref=6853.
If you go to this forumco forum you should see the same banner ads at the top of the page. I did not see any of the text links.
Old 12-05-2004, 11:34 AM   #18
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I still have quick reply and I do not have advertisments.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:24 PM   #19
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Well, the advertisments seem to be gone now. I wonder what is going on? Is someone hacking into our forum?
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 12:39 PM   #20
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I have quick reply (used it here) but don't recall ever seeing any ads!!
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote