Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
Montana_2435

M.O.C. #2435
Water filters

We have been fulltiming going on 2 years now. We have never used a water filter before and decided we better get one. I bought one of the ones that Wal-Mart sells. It is an external filter that just goes in line with water hose hookup. It has seemed to work OK but was wondering how often a person would have to replace it. Has anyone had any experience with that particular kind of filter. I imagine a filter with changable cartridge filters would probably be better. I guess our budget is a concern and would like to get opinions of what type of filter would do the best job for the buck.

Mel
2000 Ford F250 SD 6.8L V10
2004 Montana 3575RL

Montana_2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:32 AM   #2
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I bought a whole house filter from Lowe's or Depot. Went to the plumbing section and got pipe thread to garden hose adapters to connect it. This way I can use replaceable cartridges to filter what is needed. They make carbon and other types depending upon what You want to filter out.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 09:38 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
rvsongman, another option is, as we did, and put a Brita filter on the kitchen faucet. It has a switch to select Brita or unfiltered water. We use this for drinking water, filling water bottles, etc., then use unfiltered for doing dishes and the like. Works well for us but if in an area with smelly water then this filter doesn't help in the bathroom.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:27 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
We had such a problem with the water at PlaMor we went to Campers World and got another outside filter system. We were at the very end of the row and I think we got the bottom of the well Had to clean our hot water tank 3 times when we got home. What a smell

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have the same system as NJHillbilly. Does the trick. We tried the ceramic filter for E-Coli but it really restricted the pressure.
We use the sediment and charcoal filter now and change it every 3 mos.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We bought the whole house filter at Lowes. The filter, hose fittings and 2 cartridges cost under $40.

Whole House Filter

Filter Cartridges
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:12 PM   #7
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
We have one of the in-line systems that you can get most anywhere and it really makes a difference. I would suggest one that everyone use one.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:23 PM   #8
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
Depending on water useage, should only need to replace it once a year. This is usually the suggested time period. I use a whole house filter, from home depot, that is attached to the water hose. The home depot guy told me what adapters were needed. I have short pieces of PVC pipe & right angle joints that allow me to go directly after the water regulator to campground spigot, or I can add hoses if water source is a great distance away. I always carry 2 hoses in the RV. When we had our other unit & stayed in a campground at Houston for 2 months while getting a stick house, I used PVC pipe for a more permanent hook-up. I always keep extra connectors, glue, etc., use to have extra pipe, but never in one place for any great length of time. Not full-timing yet.
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 01:47 PM   #9
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
I use the same setup from home depot but put in line two filters (replaceable) one was a carbon filter and the other is a sediment filter. For the low price of the filters, I exchange them once a year! They hook up to my water hose and I've rigged up a stand for them and they sit under the RV out of the sun and weather.
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 02:34 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We bought one of the standard RV filters that use the same whole house filter. I think it cost us about $29 and had the springy short hose on the end. We had one in-line with our TT and changed it after a year. With the clear filter housing you should be able to see if its getting bad.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 03:06 PM   #11
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
I've also been using an external filter, the cheapest sold by Camping World (about $20 each, supposed to last a year but they clog up faster depending on local water supply). I've been told you should filter any water coming into the coach to prevent rocks, sand, etc from causing problems in the plumbing, even if you further filter it inside for taste purposes. I use a Brita pitcher for coffee, tea, etc.

I recently met Bill & Linda Grover who are full-time RVers and Escapees. Bill developed a rechargeable activated carbon water filter. It can be used over and over, and it does a much better job than any of the throw-away filters. It can be back washed every couple of weeks to get rid of the things filtered out, and it doesn't limit the flow of water. It removes chlorine and most of the odor and bad taste, along with grit, sand and other impurities. It costs $32 for the filter and a short hose to connect to the water source. An extra filter bag and carbon refill cost another $8. It will be a few years before I'll need the refill, but I got it just for insurance.

I'm not getting anything out of recommending this filter other than satisfaction from knowing I might save some fellow RVers from buying multiple filters that will just clog up and need replacement before the expected time. If you're interested, contact Bill at mexycanamigos@aol.com or 928-341-8163. The filter is called "O-So-Clear." Bill's home base is in Yuma, but I met him in Las Vegas, so I don't know where you'll find him currently. Tell him I sent you!

Hugs,
Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote