Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-02-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
What I learned at the Rally & Plant Tour

Here are a few of the things we learned at the Rally and Plant tour and afterwards, things that have to do with our Montana's

1.) For those that want to fill holes, like when we take down the drapes, etc. White Wood putty is what we were told. Have more information on this in a future post.

2.) Our slides are made around the cut out from the side of the trailer. Now, this is gonna be tricky. Try to visualize the entire side of your trailer as one piece. Then you have to cut out holes for windows, doors and slides. They take the cut outs for the slides and make your slide out room from that cut out, build a 3 sided room from it. Then they take the cut out from YOUR rig, which is now is a 3 sided room and put it back in your rig.

3.) We do have 38 gallon waste tanks, 38 for galley, 38 for black, 38 for gray. About 60-65 for fresh (took the tour 2 times, got 2 different numbers, therefore the 60 -65)

4.) They have approximately 200 employees that BUILD your unit, about 90 % of those are Amish.

5.) There are little rubber (?) thingys, like a ball, in each of the 4 corners of your cabinet doors. Each cabinet door is 5 pieces, the middle, and 4 sides. When they put the doors together, they add 4 little rubber (or something like rubber) pieces at each corner of the middle piece to allow for shrinkage and swelling due to weather and climate changes.

6.) Got some cleaning tips, but will have to get the name of one of the products were were told really cleans the caulking. This comes from the service center. They also told us they clean the "gimp", (if I am remembering this correctly??) The gimp is the molding stuff we find all around the outside of the 5er. Now, make careful notes, ok??? Use acetone to clean the gimp. DO NOT Get the acetone on the caulking!! Careful does it. But, oooo,eeee, does it clean that molding stuff good.

I probably will remember some more later, but in the meantime, jump in here and tell us about some of the things you learned about your Montana while in Elkhart County, Indiana??

OH, they are currently building 22 Montana's a day.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:33 PM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Be very careful with Acetone. It is a very powerful solvent that will disolve many plastics (and waxes). It is also extremly flammable. Use it if you wish, but be very careful with it!

(Once a chemist, always a chemist)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
You got that right John!! They showed us the cleaning with a small, small amount on a rag and wipe off right away. And several warnings about NOT getting on the caulking and fiberglass surfaces.

Someone at the Rally was cleaning his gimps with that new Mr. Clean white cleaning pad. Had to rub some, but it really worked great too.

(So, John and Donna, did you pick out a new unit yet, or are we staying with the current one???)

Old 10-02-2004, 08:33 PM   #4
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the neat info on Montana Plant. Let us know if anything else comes up. Keep us posted. Happyrving.....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:36 AM   #5
Still_waters
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1030
Thanks for sharing...Some good information there.
Still_waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 02:20 PM   #6
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Of the 22 built each day - 8 or 9 are 3400RL. Did Diana really have to adopt one? Working day is 4:30 am until 2 pm to allow the Amish workers to go and work the farm. Also noted the Montana plant is working 5 days a week whereas several other plants in the area are down to 2 or 3 days a week until Spring.

Tells you something about the #1 selling Fiver in North America! Also what a pleasant experience that all the executives we met really seemed to care about the business and listen to our comments and suggestions!
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 03:20 PM   #7
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
CountryGuy,

Thanks for the insider tips. If "gimp" is mold, than I have it on my outside molding. I have been buying Non-Acetone nail polish remover. If I by the Acetone I wonder if that will do the trick, or if I have to buy industrial strength Acetone.. I wonder if Acetone deterorates the rubber like bleach does? I know that on my molding, the problem is mold. The Montana across from me had their unit cleaned and waxed, including the molding, and he has no mold.

I have been wanting to expeierment with Oxyclean and hot water. I just have not had the time lately. I look forward to the day or weekend that I can really turn my attention to giving Miss Montana a good cleaning.

DiananColin,

I told Keystone rep at the Tampa RV show last Jan that they had a winner with the 3400. I love that floor plan.

Maybe the Amish not getting any rest is why I still have a leaking Montana.

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
fla native

I think gimp is the molding, not the mold (GULP)

They were using industrial strength acetone, but, I wonder if the nail polish remover would work?? Interesting suggestion. No matter what you use, don't get it on the side walls or the caulking!!! Cannot repeat that warning enough times!

I am finding it almost impossible to believe that you are leaking again. I believe you, but lady, how much can one person take?? Have you considered having them check the roof again for additional tears or holes?? Keep us posted on this situation. And, we are all praying it is fixed soon and never, ever comes back again.

Congrats on the new job! Hope your dad is feeling better.