Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2004, 08:26 PM   #21
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Hi PennyC,
WE just wanted to add our 2cents,too. Our 3670RL Big Sky is our first 5er, though we have had several other RVs in the past, we love it! Yes, we have had problems, but as we have posted over and over again, our problems have been with service not the Montana product. Ours has been a dream machine and we love every moment we spend in it. Maybe different models had different problems but our Big Sky is a winner! Yes, we would go for another Montant IF they had the same features and quality that we have come to love in the one we have
And like someone else said, if the dealer isn't dealing...find another one!!!
#29 fans Chuck and Linda Clements
Posey, CA

04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison

Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 09:38 PM   #22
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
My 3400RL is the second Montana I have purchased. I have only had a few minor adjustments that required the coach to go back to the dealership. My dealer is great!! I would buy another Montana in a heartbeat.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 01:30 AM   #23
Montana_152
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #152
We too have had our problems, but talking to owners of other rigs
the have had their share also. On my second Montana will by another
if and when the time comes.
Montana_152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:38 AM   #24
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
You bet I would own another Montana, we love it and think they are made quite well. I LOVE Teton but am not willing to fork out that much money for one and they are between 16,000 and 20,000 pounds, which means you would need larger than a 1 ton to pull it and again I'm not going to fork out that much money so I can use it for 5 months out of the year here in MN.

We love our Montana and when it comes time to get a new RV, we will be looking into another one.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PennyC

Used to own a 28' Coachman 5er that we used on weekends in Wisconsin. We sold it 8-10 years ago but now looking to get a new rig and venture out further (Montana) and longer (couple of months). Been looking at Montana's, Jayco & Teton's. Montana's had the lead until I started reading about all the problems you folks have been having with your rigs and am now having second thoughts. Would you buy another Montana after owning one? Were you able to negotiate a good price when your purchased your rig (the dealer I'm talking to only seems to know MSLP...also doesn't seem to be very knowledgeable on anything). Has anyone sold a Montana? Any resale value?

Appreciate any help you can offer.

Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 05:34 AM   #25
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
We've only owned ours a couple of months. There have been a few small problems like oven not working and seal not keeping moisture out of bedroom slide, but overall quality is sound IMO. You know, I own a house and there have been a few problems here and there with that as well so I try to keep things in perspective. We're satisified overall.
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 09:12 AM   #26
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We have had our Montana for a year now and full time 9 months. We have been very happy in our Montana. We have read about several problems that others have had so I go and check ours and to date have had only a cople small problems. my wife loves her home. We went last week and looked at the new 05's and they really look nice see that Montana has changed some of the features and made some nice improvments, but my wife said NO we are keepin what we have maby in 4-5 years we will trade, shee really liked the modle with the read step down kitchen BUT we cant get it till the grand kids are bigger due to the carpet in the entry that is why we got he one we have easyer to clean the tile floors (our grand daughter races moto cross and it is muddy ) and YES I think our next one will be an MONTANA.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 10:43 AM   #27
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We will be able to answer this question after we winter in Tx. for 6 months. We have only been out in our unit for about 7 night total since we got the unit in May. The rally will be the longest stay at one time.
Here's hoping everything goes ok. So far we are pleased.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 03:59 PM   #28
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
We've had our 2955RL for 19 months and traveled 27000 miles with minimal problems. If we live long enough to replace this one it'll be a Monty!!!
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2004, 04:55 PM   #29
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
We'd buy another Montana in a heart beat. Our unit has never been back to the dealer after 1.5 years of heavy use. (One of the recliner frames was crooked when we took delivery. I took the chair to the dealer, Mastercraft sent a new one and the dealer swapped it out.) We'll probably be moving up to a fifth wheel when we go fulltime so that we can have a Washer/Dryer and an on board generator. When we do it'll probably be a Montana (3400RL or 3650RK).
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 03:04 AM   #30
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
This is our first Montana, and second Keystone product, and we love it, and definatly would buy another Montata. Had a few very minor problems with it, but other than that, it has been great. My wife and eye go to a lot of the RV shows around where we live, Syracuse NY, and we look at all the different manufactures and styles, let me tell you, the last show we went to, there was only ONE unit that made us think twice before we bought the Montana. We thought about it for a few days, and after long comparisions, about everything, we got the Montana. Very happy with it.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 05:44 PM   #31
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
While we have only had our unit for 2 weeks, we have had 2 others and did a tremendous amount of research before buying our Monty. We have coveted the Montana for 5 or 6 years. Almost bought one several times but couldn't get the dealer to come around to our terms. When we decided to get a new unit (our old one was 7 years and had a lot of miles and hard (beach) days on it, we checked out other high end units. I ran some comparisons using Access and Excel and Montana came out ahead in almost every case. Basement air conditioning and a vanity table were the only things it didn't have that others did. And others had lots high price tags. Our only problem so far is the flashlight doesn't work.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 10:06 PM   #32
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
PENNY C

You might want to check out the Cedar Creek, if you aren't sure about the Montana. This was our 1st choice until we saw the Montana. Like you, after reading about all the problems people are having with the Montana, I am questioning whether or not I made the right choice in buying the Montana 3295RK. I haven't had mine that long, only since June 2004. We aren't full timers yet. Only use it on vacation trips, holidays, and weekends (When we can get away.).

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 01:51 AM   #33
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Saw the top of the line Cedar Creek at the RV show. Even pooer insulation then the Montana equal fit and finish .. perhaps a bit stronger in the suspension. I just couldn't see any advantage over the Montana

I would like to take a hard look at Mobile Suites but we don't have a local dealer....Story of my life...no dealer....
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 02:59 AM   #34
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Mobile Suites is big ca$h and rather heavy.

I too have had more than my share of problems but Keystone is taking care of things to keep me happy.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:26 AM   #35
Montana_89
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #89
PennyC,

I have nothing to say about our 36-footer but nice things. I would buy another one in an instant. This time we would include the fireplace and the duotherm windows.
Montana_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 03:45 AM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Gary,
This is our 3rd unit and all have some problems. Some a lot more than others. Check out some of the other owner sites - if you can even get in to read. A lot are closed. Some other brands don't even have an owners site. Probably to many problems. We've talked to lots of owners in RV parks and even one we saw that was custom made and cost close to $100,000 had problems. We did a lot of comparison between SeeYa, Montana and one other that I can't remember now and Montana came out way ahead. Price, quality, floorplan and weight were the big pluses.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 10:12 AM   #37
Montana_1683
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1683
PARROTHEAD

Don't take this the wrong way, we have been pleased with our Monty. We fell in love with the floor plan of the 3295RK. I am just thinking down the road, we were looking for a 5er upgrading from a Prowler TT. We plan that this will be the unit to use when we can fulltime. It appears that as the units get older a number of problem show up like axle shakles breaking, axles getting water inside, bedroom slides cracking, etc. We choose a Monty over the Cedar Creek due to the weight. I love the way it pulls and handles on the road. Also a plus was the website. Before going to a 5er, I would always look at other units parked in campgrounds where we were staying. Again the Cedar Creek, Montana, also the Hitchhiker were the 3 we were considering. We bought our Montana from the dealer which we had purchased 2 other travel trailers. I just wished that I had gone to a 5er much sooner. I especially dislike 3 things; the water pump setup and the noise it makes, plan to put insulation foam board under the pump and sponge insulation around all water lines that can be accessed. 2nd having to turn an on/off switch to choose between using the fireplace and the convection/microwave. Finally no electrical switch inside the unit to turn on the hot water heater, also a project to work on when the time is available.

Gary
Montana_1683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 04:48 PM   #38
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
If the Monty doesn't suit your fancy, perhaps Newmar's Kountry Aire would. One of those was parked next to our 2955RL in Halifax, NS. Dual wheels on both axles. 20,000lb trailer weight. $105,000+ cost and a Freightliner FL50 to pull it with.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 09:24 AM   #39
Dane
Established Member

M.O.C. #751
Would we buy another Montana? Absolutely! My wife and I purchased our 2955RL last April. The only warranty related problem we've had is needing to replace the DVD player, which Keystone did quickly. We couldn't be more pleased with our unit as well as the service we've received at Northgate RV in Chattanooga.
Dane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 11:47 AM   #40
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
As with others, we had some problems with our Montana that were addressed under warranty. Most of the warranty problems we had were problems with items supplied to Keystone, not with the construction by them. Fit and finish could be better, and I do dislike the use of staples instead of glue and screw, and I would have appreciated one additional 120V circuit on the kitchen side. BUT, I have seen fit and finish problems with other much more expensive units. (The only major issue I had that was caused by Keystone was that the roof mastic let loose, and I had to have a new roof membrane installed, but this problem is not unique to Keystone units) Yes, I would purchase another Montana.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote