Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2011, 04:27 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"We have had too many problems to even consider another Montana. In fact we just bought another brand and will take delivery on the llth."

Hope you will report on your experience with the big horn. We toured the bighorn plant recently and although we consider it a fine camper we saw the same vendors , similar materials, same workforce same assembly line. It will be interesting to see if they can assemble one better than Montana.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #42
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Rich: I was wondering what Mike(clutch) bought and thinking the same thing, hoping to hear an honest opinion on the performance of his new rv. Not sure though that it is a big horn as I think that it was his 2007 Dodge truck that was a big horn edition. Perhaps Mike you could enlighten us?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #43
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tcorbitt

We tried not to, but after shopping for a year, we decided to purchase a second Montana last year. We have been camping for 25 years from tents, pop-ups, TT, and two Montana 5th wheels. For the value, Montana remains a solid choice in the $50K +/- price range. I would have loved to moved up to the DRV with it's higher end underpinnings (Electric disk brakes, hydro landing gear, etc) but the added $25-30K to get there was just not worth it.

Sure Montana's have all the typical RV problems. Service is hit-or-miss. Quality from the factory is so-so. Some parts are of lower quality than I would like (tires for example) however dealing with all that is an industry norm, not a Montana (or Keystone for that matter) exclusive problem. RV ownership and enjoyment comes with that price. When people ask about RVing, our vehicle choices, etc, I normally start with the advise, the RV lifestyles is great if you love adventure, the occasional surprise on the road, AND the enjoyment of fixing and learning to maintain an RV and tow vehicle as part of it all. Relax, enjoy, and embrace the problems you will encounter with patience and a fun attitude.

My sentiments exactly. Well said!!!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #44
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

"We have had too many problems to even consider another Montana. In fact we just bought another brand and will take delivery on the llth."

Hope you will report on your experience with the big horn. We toured the bighorn plant recently and although we consider it a fine camper we saw the same vendors , similar materials, same workforce same assembly line. It will be interesting to see if they can assemble one better than Montana.
I would love to tour the plants; but it is just not feasible for us. Besides, they might run me out for giving too many suggestions.

I notice you mention the "same workforce". I suppose you meant same number of workers? I feel I could use the same identical workforce as Keystone, and produce a lot better product. Supervision is the name of the game here. You don't do quality work, you hit the unemployment line.

I posted this somewhere else, but let me do so again; the early Mountaineers (I think that is what Clutch had) were not up to the quality of the Montana line. I found that out the hard way, when our kitchen drawer unit caved in less than three months after we bought the unit.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:13 AM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You are right Darwin...But we have toured most all the plants and the observation stands..I would like to hear a honest evaluation. I just can not see a big difference between any of them in the same price range.

Will when I say "same workforce' I mean the same makeup Amish, Mennonite, Hispanic and a good mix of everyone. You are correct it is not the makeup of the workforce but the system they work under that determins the quality of the product.But our observation is no different at any plant.......same system, same rush to produce, same vendors, same materials. A little more quality control would go a long way toward a better product....all brands...but it is a cost vs benefits game....
Old 01-10-2011, 02:04 PM   #46
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I am well aware that the appliances and axles etc all come from the same sources. Our mechanical brakedowns were not Montana only parts. Things like the refrigerator, furnace, air conditioner were not Montana related. Door problems, wiring problems, oil leaks, drafty windows, poor fitting screens, etc were Keystone related.

We bought a 37ft pull behind with three slides. It has very nice cabinets and no hard to reach sliding door. It also dosen't have hydraulic slides. I have had enough oil leaks and will probably fight electricity for a while. At least it won't leak into the battery boxes and ruin a battery.

I guess I expected too much from our Mountaineer. I kept comparing it with the Prowler travel trailer we had for 13 years with only one small refirgerator repair in all that time.

My truck is a Big Horn, not the trailer.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:15 PM   #47
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Having looked at many, many RVs over the past 20 years, I would still buy another Montana. All in all, dollar for dollar, the Montana, in my mind is the best buy. I had a Teton travel trailer from 1987 to 2000. It was a fine trailer but their 5th wheel is too heavy. Based on weight ratings, I find the Montana the best built, easiest to tow, fifth wheel RV on the market.

Now I know that there will be many who will disagree with me, but I stand by the Montana.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #48
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We are on our second Big Sky. We like it. We full time in it. It has been reliable, comfortable and has been aesthetically satisfying. I have had no more problems with it than I had with the new stick house I had built. Electrical problems occur in each. Plumbing problems happen over time. Appliances fail or get recalled. This is my home. When it's broke, I fix it, just like I would in a stick house.

I might compare with other brands, but I would probably buy another Montana.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #49
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Given most if not all components are shared across all comparable priced 5th wheel options the only real deciding factor for me, after dealer reputation, was floor plan followed by fit and finish. In this the Montana was ahead of all the others I toured. I really wanted a TITANIUM by Glendale but to get the same size trailer was just too much money. Sadly Glendale went bust in early 2010. Perhaps they made too good a trailer to make enough money to survive.

I would buy a Montana again as I haven't had any major issues yet. Am I blithely confident driving down the road pulling one? Absolutely not! That is why I check and recheck everything. This forum has been invaluable in helping me know what to check.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:11 PM   #50
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
No question, we love our Montana!! Second choice would be another Keystone product which is now discontinued, the Challenger. Had an 04 one before the Montana which was incredible as well.
The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #51
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I would surely look at the Montana first, but would be open to other models. I travel with friends that have SOB's, and they all seem to have things that I can't stand, like upper end Foreest River products with the inverter panels in the living areas. You just have to look real close and then compare cost and amenities. They all have some other problem, but none has a group as nice as the MOC.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #52
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
After being at the Tampa Rv show and checking the specs on the Keystone web site I would say not. Of the 9 Montana models that are in production 3 models are over the weight ratings of our truck, One is right at the rating and two are within a few Lbs of being over.. The new 3400 is 15640Lbs and our 08 one ton dually with the 4:10 diff is rated at 15,500/

These guys are to heavy and a new truck is out of the question Not only that the Pin weight is over the rating of a one ton Single wheel drive. What are they thinking of.. We did note the Montana High country that is a near copy of the 3400 with the cable slide system IS within the weight ratings. We would need that 105K big red frieghtliner truck.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:27 AM   #53
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Well, I came away from the Tampa RV show with a different opinion...I like that Keystone is continuing to try and improve upon an already great product. One of the things I saw that I did not like is the "new" graphics...I presume that Keystone is working with a supplier to provide graphics that stay put; however, the appearance of these new graphics (in my opinion) is cheap and lacks the appeal of the former graphics. Another thing that caught my eye was the continued presence of the Marathon tires...even saw a set on a Big Sky! If Keystone wants to really impress me with their desire to improve their product, they would put a better set of tires on their units. As Rich points out, though, if we do replace our current Montana, it will be with a heavier new Montana...guess that means I will have to get that F450 I have been dreaming about! You see, there is always something good to find if you really look.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 AM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lots of good looking new stuff there. We really liked the Montana 3700 but the GVWR is 15,500lbs which is exactly the tow capacity of our present truck..that is calling it to close. The 3400 is 15,640
very nice with the double door Fridge Helen would kill for but over the tow capacity of our truck. The big sky which is what we would really want all way over our weight limits. What a bummer..
Old 01-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #55
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Sorry Rich, I wouldn't worry about 150 lbs, that's not enough to stop me. I liked the idea that all models numbered 3400 and higher were available with the Big Sky option.
I haven't chimmed in here yet on this topic, but after our third Montana, yes we would purchase the fourth
That new Big Sky they had was only 15,680 on gross, well within the newer truck capacities, 2009 and newer.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #56
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Big Sky Specifications for 2010
Mouseover a floorplan to see a larger image, click to see floorplan

Print This Page
Fifth Wheels

Model 340RLQ 358RLT 365REQ

Shipping Weight 12880 12472 12812

Carrying Capacity 3272 3728 3368

Hitch 2160 2200 2180

Length 37' 2 37' 2 37' 2

Height 12' 9 12' 9 12' 9

Fresh Water 66 66 66

Waste Water 50 50 50

Gray Water 93 93 93

LPG 60 60 60

Tire Size 235/85R16G 23585R16G 235/85R16G

Note
Floorplan

Are you saying the new Big sky is lighter than the 2010's I did not look at the weight sticker on the ones at the show..

The 340rlq was 16,152.00 Is there a new lighter, smaller Big Sky??
Old 01-15-2011, 02:18 PM   #57
stevemc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6587
If buying today we wouldn't buy another Montana. In a few years we may reconsider if quality improves. I would rather spend a little more for a better product.
stevemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:32 PM   #58
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Rich, those numbers went away with the new Big Sky being an option on the Montana models. Look at your specific model number for the new weights. The 3 digit numbers are now gone.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:11 AM   #59
Ren
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10954
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Another thing that caught my eye was the continued presence of the Marathon tires...even saw a set on a Big Sky! If Keystone wants to really impress me with their desire to improve their product, they would put a better set of tires on their units. As Rich points out, though, if we do replace our current Montana, it will be with a heavier new Montana...guess that means I will have to get that F450 I have been dreaming about! You see, there is always something good to find if you really look.
CamillaMichael.... I was under the impression that the Good Year Marithons were good tires? I see alot of Towmaster on SOB's and saw some DURO on a few higher end SOB's as well. I guess the question is... what is the better tire?
Old 01-17-2011, 03:49 AM   #60
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ren

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CamillaMichael

Another thing that caught my eye was the continued presence of the Marathon tires...even saw a set on a Big Sky! If Keystone wants to really impress me with their desire to improve their product, they would put a better set of tires on their units. As Rich points out, though, if we do replace our current Montana, it will be with a heavier new Montana...guess that means I will have to get that F450 I have been dreaming about! You see, there is always something good to find if you really look.
CamillaMichael.... I was under the impression that the Good Year Marithons were good tires? I see alot of Towmaster on SOB's and saw some DURO on a few higher end SOB's as well. I guess the question is... what is the better tire?
It is my sincere hope that the Marathon tire is NOW a good tire...if you do a search in this forum, and others, you will find a lot of negative press for the Marathon. As far as which are "best," I do not know. Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote