Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Boon-docking
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2008, 03:58 AM   #1
Dennis and Carol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #53
Golf cart batteries

I presently have 2 12V deep cycle batteries. One of which the dealer says has a dead cell. What should I expect in added capacity by going to 2 6V golf cart batteries. Also, what might be their cost. We have not done a lot of boon-docking, but are considering more. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis

Dennis and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 05:37 AM   #2
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
I just changed over to 2 golf cart batteries. As for cost, I bought them at Sams Club $65.00 + core charge each. I also got a case for 2 golf cart batteries, $94.00. You can get differnt types of golf cart batteries with more amp hours for more money. I like the idea of the golf cart batteries for the larger plates in the batteries giving more life to them as well as more power when boon-docking. Will see how they holdup when we go to Quartzsite.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:02 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dennis and Carol

I presently have 2 12V deep cycle batteries. One of which the dealer says has a dead cell. What should I expect in added capacity by going to 2 6V golf cart batteries. Also, what might be their cost. We have not done a lot of boon-docking, but are considering more. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dennis
Do you mean you are going to go from 2 12v batteries to 4 6v batteries or 2 6v batteries?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have two Trojan T-105 6v Golf Cart batteries in a Blue Sea brand battery box that is designed for them. Each of the batteries and the were all in the $60-$70 range. They suit us fine for short term (extended weekends) boondocking or overnighting at a Flying J in cold weather. You have to compare amp hour ratings to know what arrangement is better. Good golf cart batteries are stronger and have more lead in them. They are heavy. The only real advantage of two six volts over a large 12 volt is that each 6 volt is lighter than the equivalent sized 12 volt.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Two 12v's in parallel will give you more current capacity than two 6 volts in series to provide 12 volts. Deep cell Marine batteries should do just fine - that is what they are designed for in the boating world. Just my opinion's worth.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
If you want long lasting amp hours while dry camping and have the means and space consider, golf cart batteries. You get more current no question about that and its the current that makes the lights glow. A good solar panel set and a sunny day will keep the lights on all night.

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

http://www.rvdoctor.com/rvdoctor282.html

http://members.aol.com/wb3lgc/solar.htm
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
All I can say is day and night difference for us when we went from two 12 volt batteries to two 6 volt batteries.

Don't know if we fried our 12 volts or what had happened.....But after two years we were getting almost a whole weekend use. Then we couldn't even get two days of use without having to use the generator to charge up.

Kevin went out and bought two 6 volt batteries. He didn't pay over $100.00.

My goodness, there is such a difference. We have gone up to four days camping without recharging. (Of course not much heater use). The battery panel always says full.

* (Our old 12volt batt. boxes fit our new 6volt batts.)
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:10 AM   #8
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
Dennis,
There are 2 types of 12 volt batteries commonly found in RV's, Group 24 and Group 27. My Monty came with one Group 27. I have expanded to four group 27's. Amp hour comparisons (per the Trojan website) are as follows.
Group 24 (24-TMX) 85 amp hours (weighs 47lbs)
Group 27 (27-TMX) 105 amp hours (weighs 55lbs)
Golf Cart (T-105) 225 amp hours (6 volts) (weighs 62 lbs.)

Because the golf cart battery is 6 volts, you need 2 of them to get the 225 amp hours at 12 volts. Two Group 27's will give you 210 amp hours at 12 volts. So the difference in amp hours is not great. The difference in cost is not significant either. The main advantage of the golf cart battery is durability. They have thicker plates, and will last through more charge/discharge cycles, although either will last a long time if properly maintained.
If you want to learn more, do a Google search for "The 12 Volt Side of Life". Lots of good info there in layman's language.
Hope this helps.
Bob
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote