Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2018, 07:26 PM   #1
Coddiwomple

M.O.C. #22806
New Member Looking for 2nd bedroom

Hey Montana owners.

Sharon and I (Jim) are full-timers; living in Arizona during the winter, and the upper Midwest during the summer, and zigzag traveling between the two seasons. We currently own a 40' 2011 HitchHiker CE loaded with "comfort" features, and tow with a 2011 Chev Silverado dually diesel. We love our 5er, however, due to Sharon's father moving in with us, we need a home with a second bedroom and bathroom.

We currently have hydraulic auto leveling, hydraulic slide system, 2 A/C units that are external (don't come through the ceiling) so they are quiet, dual-pane windows, residential fridge, 2400 watt inverter, 4 - 6 volt batteries, ++++. We realize that we might not find a 2-bedroom 5er with all the features in our current home, but want to get as close as possible within our budget. We liken this to looking for the 5-legged sheep that has black and white stripes and a pink head! Difficult to find!

We have been doing loads of research and have discovered that a Montana High Country 362RD might be in our future. We were really excited about this floor plan until I found several posts in this forum about problems with the LCI electric auto leveling system....that several owners manually level their 5er with boards before engaging the auto leveling!! To me this is absurd - one shouldn't have to manually level a rig that has an auto leveling system! Also, I found where the slide cable gearbox leaks oil onto the slide roof, which damages the membrane. Are these two issues wide spread, or is there a small percentage of units with these issues?

Thanks for any info you can pass on.

Old 10-07-2018, 10:17 PM   #2
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Jim we have a 2017 352RL that we have put about 19,000 mil's on. We have not had any problems with the 3.0 level up at all or any problems with gear box leaks or cable problems. I think its a very small percent out there.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:09 AM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
as for looking for a 2 bedroom RV toy haulers can meet your needs. regardless there are several out there that are sort of 2 bedrrom RVs.

As for the problems stated, I suppose they occur but it is NOT a widespread issue.

But, remeber an RV is like a tornado going down the road as my wife says...you will always some issues.

Good luck
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 02:24 PM   #4
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coddiwomple View Post
Hey Montana owners.

Sharon and I (Jim) are full-timers; living in Arizona during the winter, and the upper Midwest during the summer, and zigzag traveling between the two seasons. We currently own a 40' 2011 HitchHiker CE loaded with "comfort" features, and tow with a 2011 Chev Silverado dually diesel. We love our 5er, however, due to Sharon's father moving in with us, we need a home with a second bedroom and bathroom.

We currently have hydraulic auto leveling, hydraulic slide system, 2 A/C units that are external (don't come through the ceiling) so they are quiet, dual-pane windows, residential fridge, 2400 watt inverter, 4 - 6 volt batteries, ++++. We realize that we might not find a 2-bedroom 5er with all the features in our current home, but want to get as close as possible within our budget. We liken this to looking for the 5-legged sheep that has black and white stripes and a pink head! Difficult to find!

We have been doing loads of research and have discovered that a Montana High Country 362RD might be in our future. We were really excited about this floor plan until I found several posts in this forum about problems with the LCI electric auto leveling system....that several owners manually level their 5er with boards before engaging the auto leveling!! To me this is absurd - one shouldn't have to manually level a rig that has an auto leveling system! Also, I found where the slide cable gearbox leaks oil onto the slide roof, which damages the membrane. Are these two issues wide spread, or is there a small percentage of units with these issues?

Thanks for any info you can pass on.
I will add that we have had both issues, however the fixes are very simple & not a deal breaker for us. The 3.0 works great once you understand it, the gearboxes will drip & the fix is to install drip pans under them. If you know that in advance you could get them installed prior to delivery. The 3.0 needs to be better explained at PDI, I think most people dont understand how electronic controls function. Once I spoke to Lippert cust service it was clear how to reset them & now they work great consistently. Being a heavy construction contractor who works with hydraulics every day its nice knowing that they are not in our camper.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:00 AM   #5
Coddiwomple

M.O.C. #22806
Thanks for the info.

Jim
Old 10-10-2018, 06:50 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
If you like the HC 362RD maybe you should look at the Montana 3790/91RD. We love ours (full timing) and it has hydraulic levelers that work great and no cable slides to have leaking gearbox.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote