Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 04-13-2011, 02:04 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Kindle, 1- 2, Nook, Sony, PocketBook, Google e

I plan on taking back up reading when we hit the road again, I enjoy and miss that part of my lifestyle. Just don't have the time now.
I know you can get books downloaded to your personal computer, but grabbing an E-book and biking down the road to sit under that big tree overlooking the river, has merit.
Which do you have, which do you wish you would own and what experiences and advice do you have for me?
Do you know that E-books are much more popular with older folk than the gamer crowd? Did you know that there are 2 Million or so free books to download? Also, anything before 1900 are public domain, I can easily deduct that would include some pretty solid writers...
Whaddyouthink?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I did some extensive research comparing all the e-readers and even the possibility of a tablet. Was looking to get the youngest daughter something for Christmas. The interesting thing that came out of it was the discovery of the differences in the technology used to bring you the printed page. All of the color ones as far as I know use LCD displays. LCD displays were said to cause problems with vision, sleep patterns, etc. after extended periods of use. After all was said and done, we purchased a Kindle 3-G for her. The weight, the proprietary liquid-ink technology, and free 3-G wireless for the life of the unit were the deciding factors. If you are going to be using the device outside, there are visibility problems with any type of screen that is not of a matte finish (the Kindle is easily read outside even in direct sunlight. I know all of this sounds like a big plug for Kindle, but after all of my research, I feel I at least made an educated choice. It does amaze me that a 400 page book can be downloaded in seconds!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We have a Nook. It is mostly used by Dianna. Dianna has significant eye problems including eye pain when over exposed to bright light. She is able to comfortably use the nook in all kinds of light. The contrast is great for her. The font size is widely variable. We chose the non-color version for two reasons: first, Dianna found it comfortable on her eyes and second, the initial cost.

Because it is associated with Barnes & Noble, when we go to College Station, we drop in, down load books and have a cup of Starbucks. We don't do so, but you can subscribe to e-magazines and e-newspapers if you want.

As you said, there are many free books. Barnes & Noble also offers a free book every Friday, one that is not normally free. Often she finds whole collections of works to down load for $1 to $2.99, things like the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
A Kindle, or any other lightweight unit that can be easily hefted in one hand, has a big advantage for those of us with physical limitations that make holding a book for long periods uncomfortable. I'd like to get one, but there are lots of things higher in the list of spending priorities.
patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
I have a Kindle 3 WiFi and love it. I too did my research and found that the e-ink screen was better on the eyes and in bright sunlight. I was also concerned about having a Nook that is tied to B&N when they are in major financial trouble. Kindle has a lot of FREE books everyday. I have found that many best sellers are offered free for a period of time on Pre-release or newly released, probably to increase their ratings. I get an email everyday with the free books available. It's nice not to lug around books when we travel.
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #6
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Sorry to rain on your parade but Louise and I are avid readers and prefer the old fashion way. When I worked at the Library I tried reading books on the PC and was not comfortable with it.

We like being able to bend a corner on a page and put it down for awhile w/o worrying about batteries. We buy most of our books at flea markets, rummage sales or book exchanges. That way if we "forget" where it is we are only out a little and can replace it easy enough.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:15 AM   #7
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Old fashioned also, besides when you are reading in a reclined position, those hard plastic things hurt a lot more than paper across the nose when you doze off & drop it!
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Ha! Nothing wrong with being 'Old school'
I'm just trying the Old Dog new tricks deal.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
I got the Kindle 3G for Xmas. I was old school but now a Kindle lover. Actually hate to go back to the old way. Turn it on, on my page. I have 4 daughters all have them and we are on the same account. We all get each others books free. I just love it.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #10
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I'm technologically poor. That is to say I spend to much money on new gadgets. I bought Earlene her Kindle 2 mother's days ago, and her iPad last mother's day. (This year she doesn't get anything. It's going in the fuel tank). She loves both of those gadgets. She loves the kindle for the light weight, compared to the iPad. There are many applications for different computers that will support kindle e-books, but she really likes her Kindle. She lays on her side to read and she has a portable book light that she just lays beside her pointing at the screen. The font technology of the kindle is supposed to be the superior of the e-bood readers. Forget the iPad in sunlight. The Kindle font can also be increased for those that are optically challenged. The Kindle also has the capability of viewing "native pdf," whatever that is. It was part of the upgrade that we loaded. Earlene is an avid reader. She gave away 300 hard back books here at the stick house, but still has hundreds more on the book shelves.

JIm (Ozz), I think that you may be able to still find some of those "Little Golden Books," on-line. You know, "See spot run!"
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #11
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Great minds think alike Ozz! See this post for responses as well... http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43972
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks Jay!
Also thanks to all of my MOC fiends for the input. I shall order the Kindle 3G forthwith.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #13
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Betsy got her Kindle a couple days ago. She loves it. since funds were a bit tight this month we just got the basic unit for 139.00 and it works great....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 AM   #14
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
With all of these e books being purchased, does that mean there will be a lot of books donated for the book exchange at the fall rally?
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #15
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We purchased Nook Colors because they can be rooted to Android Tablets, giving us the ability to not only have the B&N reader, but we can add apps from the Android Market, such as email, YouTube...you get the picture.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 AM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
No, I only get static, no picture We just got the Kindle Dx, 138 pages of instructions, I will never make it through this deal. At least I don't have the bothersome responsibility of a truck to drive.
I do have a nice Chicago Law firm that is looking at my Lemon law case. Maybe I can find something about them on my new Kindle.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:55 AM   #17
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Here is a screen shot of our rooted Nook Color:

snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:01 PM   #18
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cool! and I bet you know how to use it. My instructions are still printing. I wanted a hard copy.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #19
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
WAG it Jim. Don't SWAG it.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:03 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is mind boggling...