Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2006, 11:29 AM   #1
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Gold mine

Hi Everybody,
What a gold mine of information this forum is. I think it is the best thing on the earth. I am picking up our new 3500rl next week. We bought it Monday and did a walk through with the salesman and listed things that needed to be fixed. Last night I was reading all of the post in this section and made a list of the problems others have had. I and my wife went out and did another walk through. The first walk through produced the following:
1. Shower door needed adjusting
2. Facial board on the refrig. slide needed repair
3. One of the speeker covers needed replacing and one was mounted wrong
4. One of the kitchen dawres needed adjusting.
5. Needed to be washed and waxed and roof cleaned
6. Ceiling need screws put in
7. Trim strip on ceiling needed repair
8. Entry door squeeks

These are all minor things and will be done before I accept the unit.

The second walk through produced the following after reading this part of the forum.
1. All of the wire hangers on three of the slides were broken (
Poor design)
2. Found damage on the two recliners. One will be replaced and the other will be fixed.
3. Found the plastic cover on the bottom of the bedroom slide was damaged.
4. The tires on the unit are not the mission brand. They are the tacoma brand.

We will check out the functional operation of the unit on final walk through.

Thanks to the forum, I found these three items on the second walk through.

This points out the need to do walk throughs several times before the final walk through. Let a day pass between each walk through. You will be suprised on what you find.

Again this forum is a gold mine of information. Keep up the good work.
Dick & Dorothy

rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Dick and Dorthy,

Welcome to the forum. Happy to hear that everything is going well during your acceptance inspections.

You are right about the forum. It is call "synergy" where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. This means when people work together they produce more than working individually. There is lots of synergy in this forum.

Good luck with your Montana.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Glad to see you are using the information here wisely. It is always easier to get issues resolved BEFORE taking delivery than after. Some dealers will try to wait you out, knowing that you are anxious to get the rig home. Calm, patient, but firm insistance should win the day.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:27 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
It sure helps when you the buyer have the upper hand of knowledge. And the MOC is truly a gift to each and every one of us. I have found that the stuff you learn here is more than some dealerships even know. Nothing gives you a better feeling then someone trying to smoke something buy you, and you know otherwise. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:07 PM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Welcome to our large extended family. There is a "HUGE" amount of information and help available on this forum. Really glad it's here. Make sure you open all of the windows on your Monty. We didn't and had to go back and have the dealer replace all of the weatherstripping. Seems when the windows were installed at the factory, the windows were set while the glue was still wet on the weather stripping and glued all of the windows shut. Also have the technician check the fantastic fan with a little bit of water from a cup. If the switch is installed correctly, when the water hits the workings of the fan, it will automatically shut. Ours was installed backward. Simple fix, but had to be done after the shakedown trip. Just a couple of tips. Make sure you ask a lot of questions on how every button works. Make sure your salesman introduces you to your Service Reps and the service techs. Ask him/her if you will be dealing with more than one service rep. We deal with only one Service Rep. She is the only one we deal with when we need to schedule any type of maintenance or have any problem. Really nice to have that option.
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 05:32 PM   #6
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Thanks for the info. I will open all of the windows and have them check the fan with water. I may be making another walk through on Friday to se if there is anything else that they would need time to correct.
Thanks,
Dick & Dorothy
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Congratulations rak, and welcome aboard. Glad to see the forum is helping you. Knowledge is power.
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #8
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
Rak, One thing I suggest before you take your unit from the dealer, make sure it is hooked to city water for several hours, use the faucets, shower, etc. Check for plumbing leaks under the shower and sinks and also drain leaks at the p-trap connections. I have found numerous leaks and some can be in hard to get places and also the compression washers can get cross threaded and leak. I also had a leak on my 12 volt pump, and it had to be replaced.
Good Luck, happy adventures.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 03:05 AM   #9
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Congrats, rak. We are getting our 3400RL at the end of May. One thing I might mention, is that if you bring up the MOC to some dealers/salesman, they become instantly defensive. Many don't. Some have heard of this 5,500 member (not all of those active) powerful organization that many times knows what going on in Keystone before they do.

I have found that many salesman become defensive - especially the ones who claim to know everything (maybe you've never ran into one of them) - when everytime you say something about a problem with something on a Montana, they have to say the they have never heard of that.

I even got a little irritated at one salesman and I had to hold myself in check. I was at a show this winter and he was touting the incredible merits of the remote control thermostats to a prospective couple, while inside the coach. I was floored!

This has been one of the largest topics this forum has ever had on this defective, extraordinarily frustrating, thermostat system. Since Keystone/Montana monitors this forum, that system has been replaced due to the flood of very unhappy MOCers. This was an older 2006 unit that still had the remote.

After the couple left, I somehow felt it was place to educate the salesman. Should of known better. He said he had never heard of any problems with this remote thermostat. I tried to carefully bring up the MOC. I could tell this wealth of knowledge I was offering was not that well received. I became annoyed at his, "If this was a problem, I would have heard about it." attitude. I left before it accelerated too far.

I was at another show in Grand Rapids in January, and I mentioned that I was really thrilled that Montana had now gone to a Mor/Ryde suspension as standard on all units coming out of the factory since mid-November (the Montana at the show was an older 2006 that did not have this). He looked at me in disbelief, and asked me where I heard that. He had never of the MOC. He picked up his cell phone while I was standing right in front of him and phoned his regional manager, who was at a show in Rochchester, NY, to ask about the Mor/Ryde. After a few seconds of, "Uh-huh, uh-huh...", he hung up, looked at me and said, "I'll be darned!" That was embarrassing to him and me both. He then looked at his watch, and said he had to go...

If you want to have a good working relationship with your dealer, you may have to be a little careful, as the MOC can be a very intimidating obstacle to some "knowledgeable" dealers who take offense to you knowing more than them. I sometimes have encouraged some dealers to start scanning this forum, but sometimes I hestitate, because then I have to make sure I only say very nice things about them on here...

If there is a problem that directly affects you and your unit, the dealership needs to be confronted about it in a tactful way. However, you just have to use your new found knowledge with caution in some instances.

Most MOCers have run into this situation several times.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2006, 05:36 AM   #10
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Welcome to the MOC. May you have lots of good quality time in your new Montana.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote