Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
Black Tank Plumbing in a 3791RD

Does anyone know if a 3791RD has regular or angled pipe going into the black tank? I am plugged up down there somewhere and would like to get a "twister plunger" but it will not work with angled piping to the black tank. It has to be straight down. The plug is in the down pipe or at the bottom. The tank backfills and drains just fine. I used an auger to create enough room for water to drain down but it still burps and you can hear the water slowly draining below the floor. Thus no solids can be used yet.

Jacksonville, FL
Cindy and Ray's Grand Tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Is your black tank valve open or is it leaking? Sounds like you may have the pyramid of poop.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
DQ, That is what I think too and am trying to find a way to clear it. Probably more paper than poop. The backflush and drain are working fine. I have back flushed it about 5 times now and still get some paper occasionally in the clear water. I broke part of the clog loose and the water goes down the pipe now but it still has a big burp and I hear water slowly running in the pipe after the toilet is closed so I know something must still be clogged and we better not put any paper down it until cleared.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 06-03-2019, 10:39 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
It's possible that your vent pipe is plugged where it exits the roof, and that could cause the burping. If you can't resolve the problem, here is a link that might offer some help. I use their tank treatment and have had good results, but have never had an issue with a clogged tank. https://tanktechsrx.com/unclogging-y...ank-or-toilet/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:14 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Not knowing how much you use the rig I would be more inclined to go with Rohrmann on the vent issue. Those mud daubers just love the heat of the pipe and probably the smell. Take a garden hose to the roof, drop it down the vent pipe as far as it will go and turn on the water. As the blockage gets more wet just lift the hose up a couple of feet and drop it back down with a little force. If a blockage is there this should break it. Not sure on your model but on mine the vent is a straight pipe clear to the tank. Let us know what you find.
Old 06-03-2019, 12:15 PM   #6
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
another thing could be is the cut outs for the pipes to installed in the tanks. ran into that on my good friend's TT. We had to cut the pipe off at the tank to get it out. And the we installed a rubber hub connector at the tank never had another problem after that.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:18 PM   #7
speedster100
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17566
There is a sweep (elbow) on the pipe from the toilet to the tank if that is what you mean, you can't just look down the toilet into the tank. On the drain side of the tank it comes out and also has a sweep. You might have an issue of the cable pulling out of the valve, they are held by a single set screw. Will have to drop the choroplast to find out....... If you are going that far you might as well install new Valterra valves while you have it down and you are there anyway. They are a way better product and much easier to open & close...
speedster100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21053
Thanks everyone but I think it is some form the pyramid clog. I ran a snake down the pipe. With a flashlight I saw it bend to the left down the pipe so I do not have a straight pipe to the tank. It went down about 4 foot below the floor and then just rattled around so I am not sure how much good that did. I just banged it around gently so as to not crack anything. I backfilled and dumped again with more paper coming out. At this point the burp has gone away but I still here water drizzling after I shut the toilet valve so it would seem it is crawling past a clog somewhere. I added 3 minutes of water through the backfill and dumped in chemicals. I will let set a day or two and see if that takes care of it.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 AM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
This is the exact reason there is a sign behind my toilet stating not to put anything that did not come out of your body into my toilet, including TP. That gets put into the small trash can next to the toilet.

If you can gain access to the bottom of the tank you could gently beat on it with a rubber hammer to try to loosen it up a bit ?

Go up on the roof and remove the vent pipe cover and blast it down with a water hose to eliminate a vent issue.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #10
ShaneGreen
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22218
Try pouring hot water down your toilet. A lot of hot water. Not boiling, just really warm. If your shower head reaches, use it to until you run out of hot water. It tends to dissolve clogs better. It will also help you identify the culprit, because hot poop stinks!
Old 06-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #11
Sandra_David
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20440
If you believe it is the poop pyramid, why not connect up and move the rig forward and back a few times to move the pyramid.
Good luck.
Sandra_David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:47 PM   #12
crushton

M.O.C. #19312
Try a drain blow bag. It hooks up to your garden hose and then you insert it in the toilet drain. Turn on the hose and it will expand creating pressure until it reaches a point where it will send high pressure stream of water down the drain clearing the clog. You'll know when the clog is cleared when water flows freely down the drain. I've used these numerous times on different rigs and always have success. Also use RV digest it, it's more expensive than regular toilet chemicals, but it definitely works, eliminating future clogs.
crushton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #13
krahopkin
Established Member

M.O.C. #17294
I remember discussions about the best tank valves to buy, mine are harder than hell to close, and at least one of them leaks.
krahopkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:03 PM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
They would be valterra valves
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote