Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2005, 03:41 AM   #21
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wordsmith, we disconnect if we hear it's going to freeze or get close to freezing. Better safe than sorry. We have found ice in our hoses, when we were at the rally in Minden, I think. Otherwise we stay where it's warm whenever possible.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:21 AM   #22
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Steve always has given us good advice. Sometimes it's a real pain to be the Wizard. Sorry you guys had to go through so much so you could give us first hand solutions. Tell me Steve, Did your tests come out O.K?
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 05:19 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Adelmoll is right, Steve. Maybe MOC members should chip in a little donation $$$ for all the free advice they are getting from you at your expense. But then what about Glenn, Sue, Rich, Dave, Dave, et al??? Wow, this could be expensive!

I do know why you choose the timing you do on your travels, Steve & Vicki. Cheryl & I will probably follow the same timing that you guys are. We fully understand why we are doing what we are doing. We will deal as we need to with the weather. It is a secondary priority.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 12:33 PM   #24
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Wordsmith on my site under Winter Camping I have the directions of making a winter hose.

http://www.foreverdigital.net

If you choose not anything close to freezing should be disconnected. Me I would rather have the hose, there is something about going out in 10 degree weather to have water that says you should have made a hose.
drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #25
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Judy, I agree that disconnecting is the most prudent way to go; I was just wondering how much "wiggle room" there might be as I worry that I might forget to disconnect or that the weathermen might have a less than accurate forecast and we wind up being caught out.

Drifus, thanks for the link and information. Looks like you are out in some TRULY cold weather!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:59 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If keystone ever thought about doing Real artic package the expertise to design one is here on the MOC.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 02:22 PM   #27
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
But none of us could afford the cost.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 05:15 PM   #28
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

Sorry about the freezing problem.
I had a colonoscopy last week so I can sympathize with you about the prep. The scope was okay but they removed a couple of polps and I was sore for a week.
I just got my unit back from the dealer. My back tank would not dump because of the valve not opening. While there I had a back-flush installed.
Who had the backflush installed you or the Monty? Sorry about that but couldn't resist, been down that road and the prep is not pleasant.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 10:55 PM   #29
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
We found out the hard way, our water hose was fine til 26, after that it froze. If you run the water at regular intervals, it will prevent it from freezing. Disconnecting makes for a good nights sleep! Thanks for all the info Steve. We have encountered temperatures not quite that cold in sping and fall in Alberta, keeping the furnace running more defineately makes sense.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:47 PM   #30
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Wordsmith, I think a good principle is 'if in doubt, disconnect'. The night that we had ice in the hose and almost froze up our water lines, it was barely freezing. If you consider that the hose has a round surface that is almost entirely exposed to the elements, it's favorable for freezing.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:24 AM   #31
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Well said, Judy!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 03:13 AM   #32
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, here's a Newbie question: There must be some problem with keeping the water running a little in some of the faucets, like they advise during cold snaps in major cities where they are not used to this cold? Happened a few years ago in Nashville, I know. Still had major problems, though. Many hotel water systems froze. Hotels ended up shuffling hotel guests all over the city. Quite a logistics nightmare.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:32 AM   #33
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Depending on the temp Dave, you might freeze up the sewer hose. If you are gonna leave the water dripping, you better think about where all that water is gonna go??? We have done this once or twice, but my personal preference is to have a little water in the fresh water holding tank, disconnect the hose, and not worry about where the water is going if you allow to drip and not have frozen hoses and not fuss with any of it. The best of course, is to NOT have to deal with these cold temps, but it ain't a perfect world and sometimes life takes us into the cold weather.

How much snow you got on the ground up there??? We have between 10 and 16 inches. Ice dams on the back porch overhang, NOT a good thing!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:15 PM   #34
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You guys got hit pretty hard with this last storm, Carol, and we were let off the hook (SE winds). We only have about 12"-14", but 2-4 tonight, 2-4 tomorrow, 2-4 tomorrow night, etc, etc,etc. That time of the year up year in the NW part of the state. Just type in Alden, MI if you ever want to see any weather forecast with SNOW in it. That's why all the ski resorts in this area. Actually, could be kind of good for a Montana here. Unlike other areas, the snow NEVER melts here. So we don't get 12" one week then have everything melt the next... it keeps piling up here.

This would act as a "natural" skirting around a Montana. Here's a quiz: How cold can snow get? Times up! 32 degrees F. Even if it is -20 outside, with a wind chill of -50, snow NEVER get below 32 degrees. When water freezes, that's it... the temp will not drop any more. Alaskan sled dogs discovered this. That's why they burrow into a snowbank at night to sleep. Lot warmer in there (then their body heat warms their little cave even more) than out in the -20 to -30 outside. Igloos - same principle. So a natural snow skirting around a Montana will keep the temp underneath at a minimum of 32 degrees, unless there's an air leak. Under the front end would be the problem, although around here we would not have any problems shoveling a little snow high enough fo that too. Sewer hose coming out of the bottom would need special attention as mentioned earlier, but it would be doable and probably be the the best insulator for keeping water lines safe.

Now... if you wanted to leave in mid Feb, and you're buried under 5' of snow all the way around, that could be a problem. But then I guess one would be motivated, right?
Old 12-16-2005, 03:46 PM   #35
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

Have not been to your fair town, but did winter camp two winters over in Gaylord! Nothing like cross country skiing out the door of the rig!! A long time ago, but sure was a grand experience. NO water in the rig, did not even try, was so cold in the rig when we would get up there on Thursday or Friday night that we could not even run the microwave cause it was TOOOOOO cold, and the motor would grind! We would turn on every heater we had, electric, furnace, heat strip in the A/C and it would be several hours before it got warm, several nights I went to bed fully dressed with winter coat and hood up over my head! Yep, that was CAMPING!! HAHA

We don't expect to see any thawing before Christmas, and we also have 30 to 40% chance of snow each and every day. The trick is to keep Montana dug out, so we can GET her out on the 27th for our run to the Valley. Next trick is for the snow to hault for just a day or so, to allow us to RUN!
Old 12-16-2005, 04:42 PM   #36
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Roughing it in a Montana. That's different! You're right... Gaylord is great for both snow AND cold.

Good luck in your run for the Valley. I know you can make it. But just in case you can't make it past Toledo, we'll see you there for the RV Show. We'll be sad for you, but happy to meet you. At least you can go swimming.

Not Lake Erie! I meant in the INDOOR pool at the SeaGate.

Dave
Old 12-17-2005, 03:15 AM   #37
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
The Gaylord camping was PRE Montana, in a unit that had NO slides, a TT not a 5er, and nothing under the belly to attempt to keep warmth in. I know I would be more comfy in Montana in those conditions, but, this ole gal is NOT gonna winter camp with water in her, no matter what. If we ever decide to do that again, it will be in a campground with sauna hot bathrooms. And a site rather near them, trompsing 300 to 500 feet in a blizzard is not a lot of fun, no matter how tough ya are! Actually the night of the blizzard there was no trompsing anywhere, when I took yorks out, I had them on a leash and I did not let go of the side of the trailer! Could not see 3 feet in front of me, but let me tell you, the next morning was the prettiest thing I have ever seen! It truly was a winter wonderland, and skiing along the AuSable River (tainted a dark cinamin red) and running between the snow laiden rocks, sun brightly shining, will never be erased from the gray matter in my head.
Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 AM   #38
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have 0" - 0" of snow and expecting 0" here in Alabama. And we're still heading SOUTH! Going for the fun and fellowship and warmer temps.

I enjoyed your info about the sled dogs, Dave. It makes me wonder how the little, 110# park rangers in Denali NP handle the cold when they take the dogs deep into the park pulling sleds for a month at a time. Nary a guy among them that we saw. Bet they wish they had a Monty.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:02 AM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I've heard about those guys. Unbelievable survival skills! That's the only way to patrol the Park. They should train our armed sevices. Judy, are you saying that many are women? Guess you couldn't really be the gregarious kind... adds new meaning to the word, "loner". Maybe their ancestors are the old "Mountain Men" of the 1800's... just add the GPS. And to stay with this topic, I bet they don't worry about their water freezing while they are camping.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:32 AM   #40
Montana_5052

M.O.C. #5052
How safe is it to travel down the road in cold weather with water in holding tanks. Ihave a 2004 montana with arctic insulation package.
Montana_5052 is offline   Reply With Quote