Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
MorRyde vs 5th Airborne vs ???

Lots of folks have posted telling how happy they are with a particular brand of aftermarket pin box, but has anyone tried more than one brand for a one to one comparison?

Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #2
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
I haven't, but I've got to believe the air-ride is smoother. JMHO
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Had a TrailAir on my previous SOB and now have a 5th Abn. Performance of both is about equal, but the lines of the 5th Abn are smoother and in most cases I don't have to lower my "V" type 5er tailgate with the 5th Abn. Always had to lower the tailgate with the other rig.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #4
Red939
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7928
I have a 5th Airborne, it makes for a much better ride. If you are in the market, play 5th Airborne against MorRyde and go with the cheapest.
Red939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Red939

I have a 5th Airborne, it makes for a much better ride. If you are in the market, play 5th Airborne against MorRyde and go with the cheapest.
It's no contest - the MorRyde is cheaper, but they are two completely different systems and don't know if they are equal or if the extra money gets you a better system. Hence the post!
Old 09-03-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
From what I have heard and read, they do basically the same thing.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Airpins bounce, or allow bounce, CountryGuy feels this affords some protection to the frame.

Morryde stops chucking, and from all we read here at MOC, those that have it, LOVE it. CountryGuy's opinion is that it does little to address frame protection.

Of, course, this is OUR opinion, and ours only. Others will not agree.

Tain't it great, different opinions keep the world spinning! Wahhooo.

Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Had 5th Airborne on the last rig and now have trailaire. Of the two, the 5th is the better at making the ride smoother. Can't say about MOR/ryde. Any of them will help. An air hitch is the best option, but expensive and heavy.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Something I've noticed with our TrailAir, it appears to convert horizontal [back and forth] movement to vertical movement. When I accelerate the nose goes down and it goes up when braking. As far as I know the Mor-Ryde doesn't have any up and down, it's a rubber pad separating metal rods that allow horizontal movement only and buffers the horizontal action [back/forth and sideways]. I wanted the capability to affect the vertical movement more than the horizontal movement. It seems I'm getting both. I was going to do comparison with this new rig but the dealer changed them out before I could. Probably the only way to compare is to have a test ride in various rigs on the same road.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Tom, I can only compare the stock Lippert Pin box with the MorRyde pin box and can say that the MorRyde wins this one. However, if you are looking for the best ride, you will need an air hitch along with an upgraded hitch pin. We have the MorRyde pin box and the TrailerSaver air hitch. We love the combo and feel we get the best ride available, Of course, the MorRyde Independent Suspension really adds to the quality of the ride. In my opinion, this is the ultimate ride......Albeit a very expensive one...
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:50 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Being simple minded I need simple explanations. Here is how it was explained to me. The Mor RYde takes out 80% of the Chuck and 20% of the bounce. The trail air takes out 80% of the bounce and 20% of the chuck. From past experience it was the chuck that was most bothersome to me so we went with the Mor Ryde. In real life they both appear to do the same thing. The 5th air borne IMO is superior to both and had we known more about all of them would ave gone with the 5th airborne although it is much more expensive....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:25 AM   #12
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
had both, the 5th is, IMO, smoother. danged the price, comfort makes it worth it.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 07:26 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have the Trailair and are happy with it. I can't provide the comparison you asked for though. I will add this though, look beyond the pinbox, and consider improving the trailer suspension by adding some sort of rubber equalizer system. (we have Trailair's Equaflex with wet bolts). Trailair also have a new pinbox that sounds interesting in that it adds a rubber part similar to Mor-ryde to the original Trailair concept.

It would be fun to have all of these vendors come to a rally session to debate the pros and cons of each of their devices.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Art, that's helpful! I'm now leaning towards the MorRyde because we already have Firestone airbags on the truck to help absorb the up/down motion. Thanks!

Thanks Jim!

John, we already have the MorRyde rubber-flubbers between the springs and the wet bolt kit. I'm looking to go the next level!
Old 09-05-2009, 06:41 AM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We installed the trailair on our 3295rk. We now have Mor Ryde on the Cambridge. We definitely prefer the Mor Ryde. It is a simple, elegant solution that directly attacks the chucking problem. Conversly, the trailair translates chucking motion into up and down motion where it is damped with a shock absorber. We didn't like the up and down action of the trailair especially with the rear kitchen configuration.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:03 AM   #16
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Thanks Dave. I'm looking for lowest price now on the Mor Ryde.