Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
Popnascar
Established Member

M.O.C. #22722
Unhappy Fresh Water Tank Falls Out

Seems like I've seen a couple posts , but can't find them now. The fresh water tank on our 4 month old 3120 Montana , fell out . A car pulled up and said "you're dragging something - so - figuring I had a bungee or strap or something, we pulled over to find the water tank trolling along being pulled by the wires and fill hose!!! The thing was held up with 3 pieces of banding metal strap and self drilling screws. Keystone is deaf and the dealer says bring it by and we'll take a look. Only half full of water at the time and on smooth paved road, BUT why should that matter. We always (in over 13 units) have pulled with the tank full, we have to since where we go there is no water to fill up after your get there. I hear now of quite a few others. I'll "bring it by" the dealer with no rear lights or brakes since it took those out when the tank ejected. Lucky it didn't come clear loose and under the families' car following!! Nice welcome to our first MONTANA.

Popnascar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
Wow! Sounds like they may have installed it wrong, or they changed how they install them since we bought ours. Ours has a sheet of plywood installed under it to help support the weight.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Wow. Thank god for warranty and insurance
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Its a dam shame, but I have read too many posts on this exact topic. Because of reading about it on various sites with the same issues happening with every manufacture I have taken matters in my own hands on the 3 campers I have owned.

I opened up the bellies of all 3 to find the fresh water tanks supported by a few self tapping screws holding up the 500-800 lb tanks. I have replaced the screws with through bolts and added more straps to help support the weight on all 3 units. (all keystone products)
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 05:58 PM   #5
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Originally Posted by drknapp View Post
Wow! Sounds like they may have installed it wrong, or they changed how they install them since we bought ours. Ours has a sheet of plywood installed under it to help support the weight.
This is my assertion that Keystone quality isn't what it used to be. This is just one example.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
tankeryanker
Established Member

M.O.C. #22216
Man that's crazy. We picked up our new 3120 two months ago & the had the water tank full when I asked them not too fill it at the dealers. I too have read of this problem on some rv's but thought that Montana was a cut above others. I don't carry much fresh water. If I'm dry camping I'll wait until I'm close to my destination.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:08 AM   #7
laprezgpoc
Established Member

M.O.C. #22763
That is one problem we did not have. Used the fresh water tank across Louisiana and Texas roads with no problems - so, far.
laprezgpoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:46 AM   #8
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Fresh water tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popnascar View Post
Seems like I've seen a couple posts , but can't find them now. The fresh water tank on our 4 month old 3120 Montana , fell out . A car pulled up and said "you're dragging something - so - figuring I had a bungee or strap or something, we pulled over to find the water tank trolling along being pulled by the wires and fill hose!!! The thing was held up with 3 pieces of banding metal strap and self drilling screws. Keystone is deaf and the dealer says bring it by and we'll take a look. Only half full of water at the time and on smooth paved road, BUT why should that matter. We always (in over 13 units) have pulled with the tank full, we have to since where we go there is no water to fill up after your get there. I hear now of quite a few others. I'll "bring it by" the dealer with no rear lights or brakes since it took those out when the tank ejected. Lucky it didn't come clear loose and under the families' car following!! Nice welcome to our first MONTANA.
Dear Popnascar,
I've sent you a PM on 9/28 hoping to help with your issue. Please respond.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Dang, I have a 4 month old 3121.
Old 10-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Actually all 3 of my Montana's have had the tanks held up by metal straps and self tapping screws, so support design must not have changed. Unfortunate for you, but the luck of the draw must have selected you for failure. Like others have mentioned … more straps and real bolts are a good modification. Some SOB's have a step molded into the tanks that locates on metal rails crosswise between the IBeams. The metal straps are still there, but the tanks are better supported. I know some of you have need to pull with a full fresh water tank, but that's not for me no matter the situation. A full 60 gallon water tank will weigh near #500. A bunch for what's holding it up inside the belly.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
During the recent National rally, during the factory tour, I brought up this issue with tanks not being sufficiently strapped. All I got was, we will look into it. They have known this has been an issue. I have lost 2 grey tanks, and the dealer who replaced them told me there was NO strapping of the tanks.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:24 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
leemedic … in reference to your dealers statement that there were no straps … just what was holding the tanks above the belly chloroplast? That stuff will hardly hold a twelve pack of bottled water.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
leemedic … in reference to your dealers statement that there were no straps … just what was holding the tanks above the belly chloroplast? That stuff will hardly hold a twelve pack of bottled water.
The tanks are constructed with wings that stick out on the top about 2-3 inches. The tanks are resting on these wings. Mine have NO support underneath of them. I no longer allow my grey tanks to fill to the top, and definitely don't let my black tank fill up full.

When I mentioned the strapping during the factory tour, the guide did not refute my claim.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:41 PM   #14
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
OK … I get it now. Your "wings" are the same as my "molded step" I mentioned in my earlier reply. When the tanks fill, the weight bows the bottom down without the straps and effectively narrows the "wings" dimension … the tank then just slips down sideways between the brackets the "wings" sit on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00046.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	2431  
Old 10-02-2018, 02:52 PM   #15
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
OK … I get it now. Your "wings" are the same as my "molded step" I mentioned in my earlier reply. When the tanks fill, the weight bows the bottom down without the straps and effectively narrows the "wings" dimension … the tank then just slips down sideways between the brackets the "wings" sit on.
I have lost two grey tanks in the same Montana. I asked the repairman if there was a way he could step it in when he installed the new ones, and he said no.

Luckily I had an extended warranty. I still had to pay for shipping.
Old 10-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #16
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
My fresh water tank does not look anything like that. Mine is a simple rectangular box if you will. No ears like that. The front and back rest on a 2-2" or so steal angles. There are 3-2" straps between the angles. I added a 4th and placed a piece of heavy stainless steel metal on top of the straps to more evenly support the weight. We travel with a full water tank where ever we go. Empty coming home though.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:03 AM   #17
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Quote:
Those brackets you refer to must hug the tank closely. Especially for the grey and black tanks. When there is a gap between the brackets and tanks it stresses the tank to failure. The two piece tanks are very susceptible. My friends brackets were so far apart (keystone manufacturing problem) he went through 3 tanks before rewelding the brackets to be closer.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:19 PM   #18
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
One more reason I am glad I sold my Montana for SOB. There are times I have no choice but haul a full tank of water to my boondocking destination. I wasn't liking these posts over the years of my Montana ownership about tanks dropping from underneath the unit. In my market research for the brand I bought, there was not a SINGLE mention in my internet digging of a tank dropping off in the brand I chose. Shame on Keystone. They need to own this problem and remedy it.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:43 PM   #19
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark N. View Post
One more reason I am glad I sold my Montana for SOB. There are times I have no choice but haul a full tank of water to my boondocking destination. I wasn't liking these posts over the years of my Montana ownership about tanks dropping from underneath the unit. In my market research for the brand I bought, there was not a SINGLE mention in my internet digging of a tank dropping off in the brand I chose. Shame on Keystone. They need to own this problem and remedy it.
Dear Mark N,
Keystone has tried to contact the person that posted the original message. I've personally sent PM messages through this forum and posted a message asking them to contact me so I could forward the information to Keystone. Keystone is more than happy to investigate the situation and provide a remedy. I've hoped to see the original post owner become active on the forum. They only made two posts on the same day they joined and have not responded. Went ghost.

I've seen post on SOB brands that seem to disappear on their company supported websites. That's why I love this forum, it's ran by the owners and not Keystone. It provides ALL people the opportunity to voice their opinion, even SOB owners.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:01 AM   #20
c2itcliff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21599
While investigating a black tank leak on my 2011 3750FL I discovered another manufacturer defect. Indeed, as previously mentioned, the black tank is suspended between two lateral frame supports. One side rests on the actual welded in place cross member, the other side or rear side, rests on a much smaller rail that is screwed in place. In my case, the screwed in rail was not placed tight enough against the tank, leaving very little of the ABS tank wing to support the tank. This, over time, caused that corner of the black tank to fail. I will try and post some pictures. Repair included installing a strap under one end of the tank, repositioning the screwed in frame support and adding a self tapping screw to stop the tank from moving on the frame rails. The first manufacturer defect I discovered was that the black tank was suspended on top of a welded-in-place "U" channel across the bottom of the frame. This "U" channel was in direct contact with the low side/end of the tank. Again, over time, this acted as a saw and cut a whole in the bottom of the tank. Both leaks where repaired with ABS pipe solvent by first dissolving ABS shavings into the solvent to form a thin pancake batter type past and applied over three layers of fiberglass screening and let cure overnite. It wasn't a pleasant experience but the repairs have worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180717_181633.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	2452   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180719_180324.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	2453   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160909_123031701.jpg
Views:	98