Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2008, 02:40 AM   #1
Tom Jr

M.O.C. #8584
Do I need a digital tv converter box?

I have a 2009 2955 with a HD TV in the living area and what I think is an analog in the bedroom. Will I need a converter box for just the bedroom or both.
Thanks in advance.

Tom Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:07 AM   #2
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Since I have an older unit I can only comment from what I've recently seen on the display floors at our local Montana dealer -- check the remote control. If you can enter a channel such as 13.2, 13.4, etc -- i.e. things with a decimal pt - and the TV changes channels -- you most likely are digital ready. Just having a digital remote though-- that is being able to put in 13, 47, 97, (Notice - no decimal points or such in these) instead of twisting a know doesn't make it digital ready (saw a comment on another forum where a reader was told that being able to put in a digital number made it digital ready -- not true. You have to be able to put in the decimal point part of the channel number as well.)

Local Montana dealer showed me the smaller TV in the bedroom of a BigSky that did as I said -- 13.2 and the channel changed; 97.9 as I recall and we got a signal (very clear and crisp) but that was the only one where he was at.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:13 AM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you get your tv signal from the antenna and if the bedroom is analog you will need a converter. If the bedroom tv came with the unit I would think it is digital.With dish and cable analog will work. If your local channels are already broadcasting in digital why not try and see if you can receive digital.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Wow - I find it odd that they put an analog in the bedroom in 2009. I thought the 19" fishbowl Sanyo in my 2007 was that last of the analogs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 03:53 AM   #5
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
What does your Owner's Manual say on the Bedroom TV? That should be your source for review. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:04 AM   #6
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
I bought my trailer in August of 07 and it had a digital tv in the bedroom. Look at the remote and there should be a way to change the tv from analog to digital
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:07 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Don't understand why a 2009 models wouldn't have HDTV's in them. Both of the 2009's we bought this year had HDTV's. The latest one had Samsungs a 37" and a 19" both are HDTV. If you have a analog you will have to get a converter. With the price of the HDTV's it might be a good idea to just change out the analog to a HDTV. Our bedroom HD gets great off air HDTV when we are near a strong sigal. Just make sure the cables are RG-6. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:45 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Our 08 Big Sky came with a LCD/HD Olevia in the livingroom and a tube type Sansui in the bdrm. When doing a channel search in the bdrm it gets both analog and digital, so I would say that the Bdrm TV is also digital because the digital stations are MUCH sharper on that tv than the analog. Just do a channel search on the bdrm tv and see what ya come up with... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
When I picked up my 2008 it had those plastic protectors on the face. They also indicated the state of the tv, such ad DTV, HDTV, etc., If they have been removed by the dealer you will, as suggested need to check your manual, or do a search for your model # on-line.

Also, the (-)Dash is used in place of a decimal point on some remotes, so inter 12-1 and see if a digital channel comes up.

Also, the menu setup of the tv may give you the option of searching for digital signals. If it does, then it is a digital ready tv.

As suggested, if you have cable or satellite you will not need a converter box. The converter box is for over-the-air reception only, using an external antenna.

My guess for a 2009 is that it is digital ready, but hey! Who knows with today's downsizing and trying to save money. When the warehouse runs out they will upgrade to the new. To bad the feds did not say that after Feb 17 no analog can be install. Or maybe they did.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
OK, it's easy to test and see if your TV has a digital tuner. Almost all big cities (cities with satallite stations) are currently broadcasting some stations in digital today as well as analog. So put up your bat wings, turn on the amplifier (you know the little green light in the closet) turn on the TV, go to menu and scan the channels. If you receive any channels with a dash or dot digit like 10.1 10.2 10.3 or 10-1 10-2 10-3, these are digital channels you have a digital tuner. You will not be able to pick them up with your analog set. You must do the scan first to see what is digital, if you have not done the scan in a while you only have the analog signals locked in, thats why you may need to do it again.

So if you think you have one TV with a Digital tuner, do that one first. If you get the digital signals, then try the other one. If you can not get the digital signals then you need the converter box, or a new TV your choice.

Remember to put the bat wings down before you move the RV, and turn off the amp before hooking up the cable or satellite.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 10:53 AM   #11
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
There is a sticker on the wall inside the closet where the tv boost button is located that says we are digital ready. This is in a 2008 Big Sky. I assume there`s a built in converter but don`t know for sure.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote