Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 AM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Direct TV Dish Mount - JJackflash

Jack,

I was looking a the photo on your Convair thread and the Direct TV Dish caught my eye. How, exactly is it mounted and do you keep it there when you are going down the road? It is kinda hard to discern if you are hooked up to go from the photo or just parked very neatly in front of your rig.

We are currently using just an antenna, but will likely be going to Direct TV in the New Year so we have a full complement of t.v. viewing options while on the road or just visiting "Bella" for the weekends. When we had the SOB Class A our antenna was not connected to the unit so we had maximum flexibility of placement (e.g, in case trees were in the line of sight in one part of the RV site we could place the dish someplace else to ensure reception).

If your dish is "hard mounted" have you encountered any problems in your travels in ability to receive the t.v. signal?

Just curious...(part of my advanced research)

Thanks in advance for your reply/insights!

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #2
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Robin, I just sent you a PM!
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

Robin, I just sent you a PM!
Jack, You never know when someone else is thinking of the same thing and your reply may help them in a very important decision .

Thanks Phil
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 11:50 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yes, other inquiring minds may want to know!!!

Thanks Darwin
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DarMar

Yes, other inquiring minds may want to know!!!

Thanks Darwin
You're right Phil! Sorry about that.
The dish mounted on the front of the Monty is actually a suction cup mount. I bought it from this web site. http://www.securemountinc.com/
After I received it,I realized it would be easy to make.
You just need to find a dish assembly with the J arm mount and the suction cup portion you can buy at Harbor Freight for 5.99 it looks like the same one I bought on line except mine cost 65.00 and is a different color.
I really like it because I can place it anywhere on the trailer and it takes me about 5 Min's. to find the Sat's. Of course I also carry a base mount just in case I have to get around anything such as tree's.
To build one it shouldn't cost anymore than 20.00 if that. I've found a couple of dish's people were throwing away.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 12:38 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Jack, That is one great idea. Although I have the Winegard Traveler mounted on the top of my rig, I also carry a seperate dish and tripod for those times when "clear view of the southern sky" is not possible. I would consider one of these and giving up my tripod although I think the HD Slimline Dish is more sensitive to lock onto sats. Will have to look into this further. At 1000 Trails preserves you are able to drive thru and select your spot. We always select a spot that we can use our overhead dish, but there will come a time when that won't work. This may be a good alternative. Thanks for posting a good solution.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Jack,

And here I thought I was going to be a member of a special club with you sending me a PM answer! LOL ALl kidding aside thanks for sharing! This is one of the reasons I like it when people include photos on their signature blocks...not only does it allow us to put names, faces, locations to all the MOC members, it occasionally gives rise to a "How did (s)he do that?" question that winds up being a question other people had as well! (I also admire/am jealous of those of you who take the time to post photos AND change them. Maybe this next week I'll take the time to "break the code" of signatures and photo posting and share some of the little things we've done with Bella and Bruto. I am sure it is not hard, just a matter of clearing the time to read the "disctructions" and then doing what they tell you!

Suction cups and a J arm...such simple stuff! I LOVE simple! We have dish (actually dishes) from when we previously had DirecTV. I am not sure about the J arm, but that is just a matter of getting one if we don't already. Harbor Freight is one of our favorite "toy" stores. I can go in there with no intention of buying anything and walk out with BAGS of good STUFF!! Fortunately (or maybe not, depending on the perspective), there is a Harbor Freight near by so we can swing by on a regular basis.

Having the ability to mount the dish where I won't trip over it is a great idea so if/as that option is possible I see this set up being the way to go. Using the ground mount would be the back up set up plan.

Again, Jack, thank you for sharing!

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks a bunch Jack, that's exactly what I need. I will look into this right after Christmas.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote