Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-12-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can I use 2 air ride systems

Can I use 2 air-ride systems?

So I just bought a Montana rear den with a pin weight of 2890 unloaded and just put on air bags to help with the extra load on the axle (760 lb) of my 06 350 diesel. I used a 5th Airborne pin box on my last camper ( real smooth ride) and wanted to use it with my new unit. So my question is can you use both, the air bags for a level ride and the 5th Airborne for a softer ride for the camper frame, cause this thing is a beast and wieghs 3600 lbs more than the last one or is this going to make for a squirrely ride and not really recommended to use 2 air systems on one tow
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new camper 2.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	816  

bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I think Air Bags on the TV and an Air Ride King Pin are okay, but not positive. I know lots of folks that have a TrailAir or Lippert Tri-Glide or Flex Air King pin and have bags on their TV and report no issues.
I have heard that using an Air Hitch and a Air Ride King Pin isn't the best idea, but if you ask the Air Ride Hitch folks they say it isn't a problem, but of course they're trying to sell you a hitch.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:19 PM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Yes you can. I know people that have both and are happy with them.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:28 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have both and have no problem in fact IMO it improves the ride. Trail air BD 3 Hitch in the truck bed and airbags on the truck.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:07 PM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
can`t make this stuff up

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
We have both and have no problem in fact IMO it improves the ride. Trail air BD 3 Hitch in the truck bed and airbags on the truck.
Wellp with that statement I will move forward and put it on. Landcaster Pa. in 2 weeks will be the test.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:17 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Wellp with that statement I will move forward and put it on. Landcaster Pa. in 2 weeks will be the test.
I would try air bags on the truck only first and see how that works. There may not be a need for the expensive pin box. I have a 2018 3791RD and a 2012 F350 SRW with Air Lift bags and it levels well and the ride is great.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:58 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It may depend on how you use the RV we are long timers and use the Montana hard with many, many miles a year on our interstate systems. The Trail saver hitches are expensive but so was this 3402 Big sky as well as the repairs one make have with front end Montana repairs.

This Ford F-350 did not need air bags to increase carry capacity but they can be ad justed to keep the rig level which helps with tire wear and ride. The BD3 hitch has both airbags and shocks that greatly improves the ride and removes stress from the front of the Montana. We added airbags on the truck, BD3 hitch, Mor Ryde IS that is a lot $$.We had airbags on the truck since day one as well as the Mor Ryde IS. The BD3 was added two years ago. We had both the Air bags and the Mor ryde IS on this 3402 and when we added the BD3 hitch the improvement in ride was very noticeable. Just our experience.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
I had 5th airborne and Firestone on my last two rigs. Loved it got rid of all the jarring and vibration from the rig. A little expensive but worth it. Will do it with new rig when I have time.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #9
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
You can certainly use what ever you want, in any combination you wish.

I will simply say that if you have the right tow vehicle for the load, you should not need any add on after market products to carry the load.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:28 PM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
just a thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
You can certainly use what ever you want, in any combination you wish.

I will simply say that if you have the right tow vehicle for the load, you should not need any add on after market products to carry the load.
I don`t think you get it. It has nothing to do with carrying the load the truck has the capabilities. It`s all about removing the harshness of the stiff springs for cab comfort, a level ride so not to over load any one part , for reduced pounding on the camper frame so I don`t end up with possible frame problems. I put the Airborne on today and took it for a spin nice, very nice.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I do understand what you are trying to achieve. The Mor ryde pin box will take care of for and aft & side to side movement. By far the best for cushioning the campers up and down movement is an air ride hitch, such as Trailer saver. But there not cheap. $3000+

I have Timbrins on my dually and they seem to help with the bouncing movement.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #12
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I have a Trailair on my truck. It helps the ride a lot. Any of the air ride pin boxes will work just fine. If you wont one look at all of them you can find and take your pick. There isn’t much difference in what they do.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I have firestone airbags on the truck and an Hensley Ts3 airbag hitch on the truck along with the Mor-Ryde hitch and I.S. on the trailer to give me the best ride possible for the trailer but the truck rides pretty rough because of the firestone airbags. The airbags on the truck are only for leveling the truck and trailer and nothing more. I have never pulled the trailer without the airbags on the truck. I inflate the airbags to 40 psi and the airbags are rated to 100 psi but the truck on the rear rides pretty solid. I have an 2013 ram dually and it doesn’t give much when loaded.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 03:15 PM   #14
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
it must be the one

Well I took it out for a long run today and stop every so often to make adjustments . It seems 25 lbs in the air bags and 70 lbs in the Airborne produces the best ride. Not much in the air bags but the truck didn`t sag much at all to begin with. It`s kind of fun to watch the Airborne do it thing in the rear view mirror. Moved the pin box up one set of holes on the frame now it rides almost perfectly level.