Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Force
Established Member

M.O.C. #13423
Finally brought her home!

We finally got our new 2012 Montana High Country 303RK home from the dealer yesterday!

Spent most of the day in the dealers lounge area.( 5 hours)
Long list of repairs I found during the PDI.
Ceiling molding coming off, crack in the framework of the table leaf,linen closet door coming apart, huge separation between the top of the front cap and the rubber roof.(tech said some screws had come loose)They re-screwed it and re-sealed the area.
AC was on full blast during the PDI,and we noticed that the upstairs bedroom was still hot as hell! Barely any air coming from the vents.
(Turns out the sliding plates on the AC were wide open. When closed air flows to bedroom, but not near the volume it should)may need a 2nd AC in bedroom.
Also during the PDI we noticed the hide a bed air mattress and pump were missing.
Dealer is going to order it ,new table and cabinet door for us.
Also had a 2nd battery installed.
Wife also wanted the fabric and paint protectant done. Both I am convinced are a total ripoff.

Pulled it home with my 2011 Dodge 3500 Diesel (single rear wheel) with B&W companion hitch.
I had previously installed the 2 hitch upright bars in the middle holes.
Trailer seemed to pull very well with a small amount of jerking when gaining speed from a stop. I think this is just from the slop where the 5th wheel plate slides over the 2rubber bumpers on the uprights. Front end of tow vehicle also seemd a bit light.
Trailer hitch weight is advertised at 1930# with a trailer dry weight of 9195#.
Dealer had filled the water tank.
Wondering if I should move the companion uprights a bit more forward to get more weight forward? Hitch looks to be centered over rear axle right now.

Everything was going pretty well until I leveled the 5r ,raised the front and started to unhitch.
When I unlatched the 5th wheel, the tire chocks slipped, causing the trailer to roll back about a foot or so smashing my tailgate a bit .(hadn't put it down yet)
I rechocked the wheels,jacked the front back up and managed to get the tailgate down and the truck the hell away from the beast.
Tailgate looks the be repairable, and still closes ok.
Note to self: Always put tailgate down BEFORE unlatching 5th wheel!

I spent a very comfortable night in the trailer last night, what a change from our old Springdale 232!

Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:55 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
With the dark color you will surely need a second a/c.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I will never own a trailer without the second a/c unit - period. As for your little oops, the tailgate may have saved you from a runaway trailer! You've now learned to make sure your chocks are in place and secure though! We tend not to forget these little lessons.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Congratulations on your new rig and welcome to the group! In total agreement with what Tom and Larry have said. We all love our Montana's but each of us have those "learned from this" experiences. Sounds like the dealer is taking care of you. Hope all is well soon and you can move on to making many wonderful memories in your new rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I think a wise investment would be a Blue Ox bed saver. It catches the pin so the trailer can/t roll. I learned from experience.
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Force
Established Member

M.O.C. #13423
Yes , a 2nd AC looks to be a must. I had the AC running all day day yesterday, Temps in the mid 80's , and the upstairs was still fairly warm.
This 5er is wired and framed for a 2nd AC in the upstairs. Tech at the dealer said you just pull out the bedroom ceiling vent and drop one in the hole.Can anyone recommend a brand?

I looked at the blue Ox bed saver at the dealer. Maybe should have looked a little closer!
Old 05-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dan, the 2nd AC installed at factory is 13500 BTU cool only. It is a Dometic Penguin variation and you certainly want to assure it is a low profile one. Here is a link that may help you further http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=99493. Good Luck
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #8
chwill3073

M.O.C. #13421
Force, Thank you for the write-up. We are hoping to get a High Country in the next few months ourselves.
chwill3073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Before I bought a trailer with automatic Level-Up I preferred this style chock for the very problem you experienced with regular chocks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V8PRAS/...SIN=B001V8PRAS
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:45 AM   #10
Force
Established Member

M.O.C. #13423
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chwill3073

Force, Thank you for the write-up. We are hoping to get a High Country in the next few months ourselves.
Make sure you look in every nook and cranny before you drive that new trailer home!
It's amazing how sloppy they are at the factories these days.
I love the color of the High Country,even if it does get a bit hotter than the White Montana's .
I tested the water system,Fridge and entertainment system yesterday.
Everything worked very well!
Found the elusive water pump hidden in the pass through storage area.Looks to be easy enough to get to in an emergency.
Scare light had me befuddled for the better part of the day.Couldnt get the dang things to turn off.Switch stayed on,Red. I removed shore power,unplugged every fuse, disconnected batteries, lights still on...Hmm
A call to the dealer. Salesman said the scare light can be turned on with the remote,and if it was turned on with remote, must be turned off with remote. Problem solved!
Note to self: don't play with the remote !
I still need to get a couple of cans of spray foam and seal up the 11tyzillion holes Keystone has left wide open to the elements and critters!
Maiden trip will be on Memorial weekend just up the road from my house in a Mountain camp ground (Boondocking)
Hopefully I don't drag the front jacks off !

Dennis, that link may be dead. Will that type of AC fit in the vent hole?
Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 AM   #11
Force
Established Member

M.O.C. #13423
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by kab449

Before I bought a trailer with automatic Level-Up I preferred this style chock for the very problem you experienced with regular chocks: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001V8PRAS/...SIN=B001V8PRAS
I saw something similar at the dealer, but they were yellow plastic.
I might make some out of some treated 4x4's.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The only problems with X chocks and level up is that if the rig gets lifted off the ground the chocks can drop and then when you put it back down you can have some problems.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by shovelhead86

I think a wise investment would be a Blue Ox bed saver. It catches the pin so the trailer can/t roll. I learned from experience.
"I'm with you there, brother!" He said, preaching to the choir...
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 AM   #14
2Wanderers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9998
Take a look at Butch's 5th wheel pin latch too. Works fine and a lot cheaper than the alternatives.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
[quote
Dennis, that link may be dead. Will that type of AC fit in the vent hole?
[/quote]

Try this link

http://www.dometic.com/enus/Americas...ctdataid=99493

The Penguin II is what is installed when it comes direct from factory @13500 BTU.

You are now aware it will fit in your rig from later post I read. Sometime you can order the unit and have it shipped to your dealer and get it cheaper on line. It does take some research and dealer cooperation. Just a thought. Good Luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote