Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Truck overload Timbrens install

This is a slide-show on how to install overloads for the truckee
I had airbags on a previous truck, got tired of airing them, taking the air out, fixing leaks. So..thought I would try the Timbrens.
I like them.
http://tinyurl.com/OzzTimbrens

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ozz, looked like a pretty strait forward job...any "lessons learned?" Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 03:38 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Well, the only thing I can add is to wear safety glasses so...well, you know. Because.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:43 AM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
So Am I correct in assuming that when the weight of the camper comes down, these Timbrens take the pressure and hold the body up off the frame, keeping the spring pack from flattening out so much?

Is there any adjustments for them?

How's the ride quality?

Wonder if this would be better for me with my rear sag instead of air bags.??
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Now don't get me wrong, air bags are great. And adjustable.
You are correct in your assumption.
When I say passive, that means (to me) that they do not come into effect until the weight added lowers the truck onto the overload strut, where the factory rubber 'overload' bumper hits.
The ride quality is normal until overloaded, then it is stiff, but it holds the truck level. I think the air bags would have to be stiff in the same overload condition, the laws of Physics would determine that.
I have had both, I like the Timbrens.
You can get different Timbrens, regular and heavy duty.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Ozz,

How do you deal with your headlight adjustment so you're not annoying oncoming drivers? I had them on my last truck and switched over to air bags with a wireless remote control which has presets. I just tap one of the presets to adjust to the load. I can also fine tune up or down. Takes only a couple seconds and I'm riding perfectly level and not blinding oncoming drivers.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:32 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Lee, we start out with the truck level, adding weight lowers the rear end, raising the headlight. By leveling the truck, either air bag, or Timbren, it just takes it back to square 1: level. Any overload except adding too many leaf springs should not be a problem.
It is not good to blind oncoming traffic, they are typically dangerous enough
Lee, it sounds like you have a great system, it's all about choices.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:38 AM   #8
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
I put the Timbrens on couple of years ago and am still very pleased.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:41 AM   #9
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Ozz had recommended them a few years back. I had them installed & have no regrets. They are also significantly less expensive than air bags. They have performed as advertized. Thanks Ozz!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Ozz had recommended them a few years back. I had them installed & have no regrets. They are also significantly less expensive than air bags. They have performed as advertized. Thanks Ozz!
Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #11
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
Ozz,

I'm not knocking the Timbtens. I used them for years and they worked great. My problem was the headlights. The only way I could keep the headlights adjusted properly was to set the Timbrens so the suspension was virtually taken out of play and the truck didn't drop under the load of the tongue. This made the ride OK when loaded but hard as a rock when not because the Timbrens were still in contact. I tried spacing the Timbrens a little to relieve the contact and get the springs working more but they would still make contact on rough roads and the ride was harsh. If I spaced them enough to avoid any contact when empty it would allow the bed to drop too far when loaded and screw up the headlights. After fighting with this for several years I gave up and put in the air bags. Instantly adjustable to virtually any situation or condition and providing the best ride possible. The down side is the cost. They are a lot more than the Timbrens. Also, I drive at night a lot. For someone who doesn't the Timbrens should be fine.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
It is a complex world we live in my friend.
Glad you found a system that you like.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #13
nowinter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9521
I recently installed Timbrens on my Chevy 2500HD Duramax. Very pleased with them. I thought long and hard about airbags vs. Timbrens. The local hitch house highly recommended them and I thought they were very easy to install myself. One word of caution, I decided to speak directly to the Timbren engineering department. After taking measurements on my truck, they recommended a specific model number. I ordered the Timbrens through etrailer.com but specifically used the model and stock number provided by Timbren engineering.
nowinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good call Steve, I bought the wrong ones at first, then got the ones I needed. Where were you when I needed you???
The things we learn the hard way. I must say, the Timbrens people couldn't have been more supportive.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
rgn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5555
I HAVE A 2005 2500 AND I INSTALLED THEM WITHOUT JACKING UP THE TRUCK// NOT HARD TO INSTALL THIS WAY
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #16
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Good job, I pride myself in my ability to do things the hardest way possible. Tunnel-vision I think. Merry Christmas.
So you don't think I am a Moron, the truck was heavy, almost on the factory overload, there wasn't room to install the Timbrens between the frame and the overload stop. If it were unloaded, there may have been room. BUT, glad it was easier for you.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:48 AM   #17
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I noted that when I hitch up, my overload springs are contacted but never noticed how much flex was created. Now I am interested in spring when I will hitch again and see what the result is. Hopefully, I will not think I need timbrens.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote