Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2010, 06:03 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
A happening

I like small town America. Usually laid back, easy living, but sometimes it can be challenging. When we parked in Presho, SD, (population 588 in 2000 census) we set the trailer up, lowered the landing legs and got ready to unhook the truck. The tailgate wouldn't open. Pull, yank, jerk, still wouldn't open.

Then the main water hose was leaking. It was about 3 years-old and mineral deposits had welded the brass quick disconnects to the threads on the hose. No hardware store in town. Discovered a lumber yard though. The park hostess offered her car for me to go. They only had an over-priced garden hose. Ok, now we have water.

In the meantime, the off duty hostess came in and the on duty one told her of my tailgate plight. She called her son, a wiry, baby-faced, 17 year-old, who drove up in a "convertible" (because he had taken a welding torch to it) that was uglier than anything I had ever seen actually running. He pops out and says, "Mom said you have a problem."

This scrawny kid climbs into the bed and contorts himself under the overhang and takes the panel off the tailgate and opens it up. Then he made the proper adjustments to the latch mechanism, puts it back together, tests it and says, "That'll be twenty bucks."

That made the fact that I had a forgotten spare hose and didn't need to buy that over-priced garden hose at all, much more tolerable. I can just imagine what a dealership would have charged me. With my size and age, there was absolutely no way for me to do it myself.

Small town USA may lack in resources, but seem to come up with resourcefulness.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Well you could have saved $20 by unhooking the trailer and driving off. Trust me, that tailgate would have opened. Kind of...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
That would have cost more than $20... Tom...

Look at it from Stiles' standpoint. Knowing to check the latch - Free. Having the tool to remove the tailgate panel - $5. Knowing how to adjust the mechanism - Free. Being able crawl under the overhang, contort into positions meant for the young, provide the dexterity to make the adjustment - Priceless.

I think $20 was a bargain in comparison. The difference between this young lad and the dealer, is that the price would be higher at the dealer because it would have been an old guy doing the repair and would need compensation for the arthritis pain and the chiropractor visits afterward and the overhead of the shop.

Great story, Stiles.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Agreed Art, but I know for a fact that it works...
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
2011-2011-2011-you know
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote