Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #21
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
As I noted in my post above, there are some sellers on eBay that sell some Montana, Mountaineer, and High Country decals. They may or may not have yours. And I know nothing about the quality.

If you could get a good picture of what your originals looked like, a wrap shop can make them. Maybe someone who still has good decals could take a picture for you.

And try Montana customer service. Doesn’t cost anything to ask. Someone here can probably give you a number and maybe a name.

BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #22
skatona

M.O.C. #23253
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I honestly doubt you will find original decals for you rig. Ours are still good, but my thought on this is, if they ever get bad, off they come and I will get an artist to paint whatever I want on the cap, and it may not even have Montana painted on it.
Painting may be the only option if I can't find a wrap or decals. Thanks.
skatona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:32 PM   #23
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
I went on the Trekwood site and searched for your model & year, and there appears to have been an early version and a late version of decals, and they have nothing of either version. Usually, graphics are only available for two or three years. http://www.trekwood.com/parts-search...23+%2F+Keyword
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 05:04 AM   #24
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
I honestly doubt you will find original decals for you rig. Ours are still good, but my thought on this is, if they ever get bad, off they come and I will get an artist to paint whatever I want on the cap, and it may not even have Montana painted on it.

Same here. Those decals are just a PITA. From my personal experience, I only want a white coach with perhaps a bit of decoration. I'm strongly leaning to white boat paint, probably epoxy based. It'd take more time to tape things off than apply the paint, and that can be done with a roller or brush as it's self leveling. Tried some on our ref. vent and a fender that I managed to put some scrapes on and it worked great.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:25 AM   #25
skatona

M.O.C. #23253
Thanks. Interesting site.
Old 01-11-2019, 05:56 AM   #26
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Continuing my decal removal and replace project, I bought the mountain scene and Montana decal from Amazon for both sides on my 2006. I will have the rig at a decal removal and install location later this month. The front was replaced a few years ago and still looks good enough. I don't mind the ghost--not really evident except on close examination. I will keep you posted.
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 06:06 AM   #27
skatona

M.O.C. #23253
Thank you!
Old 01-11-2019, 06:12 AM   #28
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
You can always go into mexico...mazatlan, and have the painters down there replicate the decals. heck of a way to do it but a great vacation.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatona View Post
Hi, new member here ... I have a 2013 Montana High Country 303RK and the front/nose decal faded around 2 years after we got it. Now it really is bad. Is there any wraps out there that are identical that can be used or is there some place to get replacement decals? Thanks!

Look on ebay, ETSY and AMAZON as they all advertise Montana decals. If you peel them off, you will still see the outlines. Also, your local sign painter's shop will have the ability to make something on better vinyl close that will cover those shiny left areas. In my case, after the front cap was painted(warranty), I had the dealer leave the mountain scene off for a cleaner look,
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:41 AM   #30
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
...... If you peel them off, you will still see the outlines. .....
And that makes it very easy to align the new decals if you choose to replace them in kind as I did.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:51 AM   #31
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
And that makes it very easy to align the new decals if you choose to replace them in kind as I did.

Yep, especially if you can find identical replacemets
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #32
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
We recently got an 08 3400RL. The previous owner had already removed most of the decals. There are a couple of stripes left that I still need to remove. He gave me a complete set of decals (still in the boxes) that he got under warranty from Keystone but never bothered putting them on. He said that the replacement decals are perforated so they supposedly will not peel like the original ones.

So, here's my plan:

1. Clean the unit first. (I looked at a youtube video that showed a person cleaning the RV with Soft Scrub followed by Dawn dish soap solution to remove residue. Then he put on that Zep Wet Look Floor Polish over everything.)

2. Apply decals. (Thought I'd use the old soapy water and squeegee method)

3. Apply wax. (Thinking I'd do like the youtube guy and apply the Zep floor polish over everything).

Any recommendations or changes? Any of you had experience with using that Zep floor polish. From what I've read it give a good finish and looks good at a fraction of the cost of specialized RV waxes/polishes.

Thanks.
daveinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:23 AM   #33
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I used the “wet hinge method”. You can google it.

I started using a squeegee. But found it easier to use a small wet towel and rub the decal working it smooth and pushing the water toward the edges. The squeegee would remove all surface water and then be hard to drag across the decal to get it smooth and all water out from under it. I suppose you could use a spray bottle to keep the surface wet. Do use plenty of water and make sure decal is positioned correctly before doing much squeegeeing. Once you get most of the water out it is very hard to reposition the decal.
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #34
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
The 3M 7517 Decal Remover:
https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite-.../dp/B00EW7MUQ4

Will remove any decal and most of the glue. I’ve used it to remove old, faded, and cracked decals on my old 1997 Sea Breeze and my 02 Montana. It mounts to a power buffer. Took about 3 days to remove decals from the Montana. Buffer gets heavy. Used Good Off to remove remaining glue.

The shadowing was extreme..PO had it in Nevada. The blue tape indicates where the decal should be placed (aligned before I removed old decal). I then started with 220 grit and worked my way up to 1000 grit wet sanding with random orbital sander, removed all of the shadowing.

Then I used the buffer with wool bonnet and polishing compound to bring some shine back. I only sanded and buffed the areas where the new decals were to go.

All of the decals came from broadstreet decals on EBay. The mountains and Montana decals were very similar to the originals. I picked out the “swoops” from their online selection. Applied using the “hinge” method.

The stripes were a different story. I didn’t have the energy to sand and polish so I removed them and placed a 7 inch wide blue tape where the stripes used to be. The tape covered all of the shadow lines. I then applied ½ inch white and brown tape over the blue tape in order to produce stripes. All stripes applied using the water technique.

All in all, it took over a week to do, and I wouldn’t want to do it again. Total cost was under $600 not counting my labor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161205_111212.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	2987   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170316_140441.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	2988   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170411_123338.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	200.1 KB
ID:	2989  
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 07:53 AM   #35
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Great job! Not only looks really good for your use, but should increase its value when you decide to sell.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #36
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
If I spent hours cleaning decals off I am not sure I would put new ones on. You are just setting yourself up to do it again down the road.
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but this is what we are debating. We have some striping left to remove on our 2008. The main decals (Montana and mountains on nose and front) were already removed when we got the unit. The PO had gotten a whole new batch of decals from Keystone and gave them to use when we got the unit. They are still in the boxes. We are trying to decide whether to just remove the rest of the stripes and then deoxidize and buff it out and leave it plain or reapply the decals between the deoxidization and buffing.

My DW says to just leave it plain -- using AZ's logic of why put them back on if they're going to just peel again. I was told (haven't opened the boxes and verified yet) that the new decals are perforated and this supposedly fixes the problem of them peeling and cracking.

I get the logic of not putting them back on. But then, since I already have the replacement decals, why not put them back on?

Or just leave it plain and eBay the new decals?

Seems it would have better resale (when the time comes) if it had the new decals on it...

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually
Old 04-29-2019, 12:05 PM   #37
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I stripped the decals off my 2005 and applied new decals it looks brand new. I saw rigs plain with no decals and did not like the look. YMMV
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 01:39 PM   #38
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My 2007 front and rear decals started peeling around 2013, starting to look bad by 2015. Replaced the front and rear in late 2015 and they still look great. Curb side original decals still look good. Street side are beginning to raise along edges. That will be my next project if I can find replacements.

A 2008 Montana with same floorplan in storage near mine is naked white on the front. I think mine looks much better and would probably bring a better price simply due to first impression.
Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 PM   #39
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveinaz View Post
Seems it would have better resale (when the time comes) if it had the new decals on it...

I seriously doubt any unit even six years old or more would have a better resale value with our without decals. Ours is now nine and I'm about ready to start stripping them off - no peeling, but lots and lots of cracking. I'm not going to buff it out though. Going to put white boat paint on it, either epoxy or something similar, that's self-leveling and can be put on with a roller. Met someone years back that did this with a 32' 1999 model SOB and it looked very good. He said masking stuff off took more time than even getting his decals off (and there weren't as many as we've got), and actual painting was less than a day.

After spending some time in the Southwest and the way weather has been going, I can't imagine having any other color. It's a lot easier to clean than what I've got now as well. I had a minor scrape on one fender that I had to sand off and then painted with this kind of stuff. Dirt almost wipes off that thing.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM   #40
daveinaz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltBennett View Post
Going to put white boat paint on it, either epoxy or something similar, that's self-leveling and can be put on with a roller. Met someone years back that did this with a 32' 1999 model SOB and it looked very good.
Be sure to post some pictures after you do the boat paint thing! I'd really like to see how that would turn out.

Dave in AZ
2008 Montana 3400RL
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Diesel Dually