Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2005, 03:00 AM   #21
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
looks more like a motorhome from the back view!

BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:00 PM   #22
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I would really like to see one up close and personal. We had the Chicago Boat, RV and Travel show last weekend and not one Montana or Cambridge. We have the Chicago RV show at Rosemont in February and hope that they have one there. I spoke to one of the large Montana dealers that was at the show (just didn't have Montanas there) and he said they would not be selling the Cambridge. Anyone know the distribution channel - will it be like some of the other models where if you sell one you can't sell the other? Just curious. Inquiring minds want to know.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #23
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Talked with our salesman from Meyers Campers in Caledonia, N.Y. at their sale in Rochester, they will have a Cambridge there today or tomorrow and will be selling them along with the Montana also. Can't wait to see it, although this is not a production model.He showed us a brief flier giving standard equipment and options but no specs on weight or anything else. Only two floor plans also.
Charlie and Sue

Montana_2304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 10:05 AM   #24
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
We just left the show that Charlie and Sue mentioned. The Cambridge has a lot of great amenities, but there are a few drawbacks. Here's my list of Pros and Cons:

Pros:
- Nice layout
- Backup spotlights (on a switch next to the landing gear switch)
- Seperate storage compartment for the power cord
- Flat floor basement
- back wall of basement slides out with baskets on the wall and allows for access to some of the pipes, etc
- Central Vacuum hookup in the basement
- Phone and cable hookups in the basement (for an outside TV, I presume)
- Power awnings
- Mor/Ryde suspension
- really nice looking recessed lights
- cover over range matches the rest of the countertop
- Large black fridge (matches microwave and oven)
- glass door over the knick-knack shelves at end of kitchen island (I believe these shelves were open on the 3400)
- recessed lights over the shower
- 2 Fantastic Fans
- Seperate switches for door and non-door side floods
- Step lights
- Grey and black tanks are heated with individual switches
- All pipes are enclosed - the only pipe visible is the sewer cap
- JVC TV and DVD/surround sound unit
- Great exterior graphics

Cons:
- Low ground clearance under basement - I noticed this first off and I think this would be a problem with anybody who needs to articulate even a little bit when towing. I'm not even sure if it will clear a curb.
- Power Cord outlet is inside the power cord bay, but there is no opening to allow the cord to come out of the bay when the door is closed
- Antique looking interior - Jen said it looked almost "moldy" on the edges
- Didn't like the Interior colors, but there's no paperwork on what will be available
- All of the switches to contol pumps, heaters, slides, etc are by the steps up to the bedroom and not covered, too easy to hit by accident

Not Sure:
- Looks like it has 4 electric slides, rather than hydraulic. There are seperate switches for each slide, but I like the pros of a hydraulic unit.
- Desk has what looks like a keyboard drawer, but the top of that drawer opens up for more storage and needs the drawer open all the way to lift up.

I'm sure there are other points I missed, so when Jen gets home, she'll probably amend this list. BTW, we both forgot to bring our camera...Sorry!

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 02:21 PM   #25
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Fred, you are the second one to mention low clearance under the basement. I'm curious--how low is low? I have never had to lift my jacks up. I just lift enough to release the pins and lift the pads up. Therefore my jack pads hang below the basement by about eight inches. So far, never had a problem and I've been in some pretty un even campgrounds. My question is -- is the cambridge that much lower (eight inches or more) than the Montana?
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:50 PM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I noticed that when at the show I would not be able to lay between the ground and the bottom front of the coach. Not that there would be a reason to but that is how low this baby sits. I do know that you can adjust the height of it up to 4 inches to allow for the coach to be towed by the 4x4 trucks, especially the dually as they tend to sit higher than standard single rear wheel trucks. If memory is right the Cambridge weighs in empty at 13,980lbs and the one at the show with all the options came in over 14,000lbs. I think the rep said this has a 16,000lb GVW. Dont quote me to that, but that is what seems to be in my mind right now about it.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:37 AM   #27
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Fred-Thanks for the info, will check these items out and look for more tonihgt when we go to the dome. I noticed the Neumar Country Aire sits fairly low also, not much ground clearance. Maybe when we spend that much money for a 5er we're suppose to go to only more elite resorts. Ha!

Thanks Again,
Charlie and Sue
Old 01-27-2005, 03:15 AM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I went back and looked at Glenn's pictures from the first post in this thread. You can kind of see how low it sits in those pictures but I'd have to see it again in person to get a real feel for it. We saw one in Tampa but it was ready for delivery so we were just allowed to step inside the door and glance around. I didn't get a chance to look around outside at all. I, too, am following this thread with interest.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:22 AM   #29
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Enlarged the area in question...

Notice the < in the above picture.
As FredG had pointed out in the Pros...- Flat floor basement. In order to eliminate the step in the basement they lowered the entire floor. By lowering the basement floor they also has to lower the area for the black and gray tanks.
This lowered the overall clearance of the under carriage by at least 7 or 8 inches.

In the above photo the rig is hooked up to the TV and the front jack is in the FULLY retracted position.
The jack pad was just about 6 inches off the ground. Traveling on any uneven terrane or going in or out of most any driveway is going to be difficult at best.

As Charlie and Sue said "Maybe when we spend that much money for a 5er we're suppose to go to only more elite resorts." and service stations with nice flat approaches to the driveway.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 05:51 AM   #30
Montana_2893
Established Member

M.O.C. #2893
Which model Cambridge is pictured in the first post. A dealer about 60 miles from here has a 358RLS in stock. Out of curiosity we will probably take a ride to see it Sunday. I was just wondering if this is the same one.
Montana_2893 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:42 AM   #31
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Glenn,
Does this low clearance run all the way through to the back? We had a forest river tow behind for awhile that was low to the ground. I didnt have trouble at the front but was constanly dragging the rear. I only had the trailer for eight months and it cost me two sets of rear jacks.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 06:54 AM   #32
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PittsNhRv

Which model Cambridge is pictured in the first post. A dealer about 60 miles from here has a 358RLS in stock. Out of curiosity we will probably take a ride to see it Sunday. I was just wondering if this is the same one.
The model pictured has the same floor plan as the 3400. Have no idea what the Cambridge model number would be.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

Glenn,
Does this low clearance run all the way through to the back? We had a forest river tow behind for awhile that was low to the ground. I didnt have trouble at the front but was constanly dragging the rear. I only had the trailer for eight months and it cost me two sets of rear jacks.
The low clearance was just in front of the axles. The rear was pretty much like the Montanas
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:23 AM   #33
Montana_2304
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2304
Took a look at the Cambridge today. Yes, it is yery low in the front, too low. I realize it was sitting outside covered with snow, salt and it was six degrees outside, but I was alittle disappointed with the rig. I guess I couldn't see the extra $25,000 in it. I still like my 3650RK . Maybe when it's warmer outside it'll look better.

Charlie
Old 01-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #34
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Charlie,

I still prefer our 3575, but I can see where the extra cost went into the "fit and finish" on the Cambridge. In my opinion, there was a noticeable difference in the quality and thought of the interior of the rig, not to mention the added cenvenience items like the power awnings, generator, seperate switches for each tank heater, etc. Jen and I both agree that we didn't like the interior colors and that it's not worth the upgrade.

As for how low it sits in the front, we would never be able to tow it. One end of our road is fairly steep and curves sharply. As it is now, the 5er almost touches the bed rails when going up and around that curve, and that is when we have everything adjusted for an even ride. I'm sure that the belly would scrape with that type of articulation. We also go to some campgrounds where the roads are a bit more uneven (like state and county parks) and the low clearance would worry me.

Fred
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 01:59 PM   #35
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Fred -

Thanks for the detailed list of Pros and Cons. Did they say most Montana dealers will be selling Cambridges? We have about eight years before I will be ready for another new rig ('05 3400RL), and I'm sure by then they'll have the bugs worked out. I just like the idea of having a coach good to 0 deg. F. The 3400 is good to 0 deg already (Celsius, that is). Right now it wouldn't do us any good because our campground where we store the rig is only open from April 1 to October 30. So, unless I want to spend a lot more for those few extra times out, I'm stuck with seven months of camping. We will be waiting for our first opportunity to look at this.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:14 PM   #36
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
The Cambridge model is 358 which is almost the same as the 3400RL Montana, the only other model available for the Cambridge is the 361 which is just like the new 3500RL Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 02:41 AM   #37
Montana_676
Established Member

M.O.C. #676
I'm curious,If your going to kick out 80,000.00 for a fith wheel.Why wouldnt you just buy a Mountain Aire?When I bought my Montana they had a bronze and gold 38 footer sitting there that was gorgeous.The kitchen even had Island with ample room to walk around,solid cherry throughout the rig.Bedroom was tall enough for me with more(Im 6'1") The outside looked alot like the Cambridge but the Newmar had tandem dual wheels.Weight was around 12,900.Price was 84,900.00 way,way out of this working mans pocket book but it sure was sharp.I always thought the Mountain Aire's were top of the Line or are they?until the next time ,take care,Rick
Montana_676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 03:19 AM   #38
Montana_676
Established Member

M.O.C. #676
nevermind my question. Out of curiosity I went to "Newmar Kountry" website.Saw one like the one he showed me now called the Kountry Aire.Price started at 102,000.00.I guess he was showing me an older model.Take care,rick
Montana_676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mountain Aire, Kountry Aire, Mobile Suites, Teton Homes, and several others are among those I would consider "up there". The Cambridge is, I think, intended to compete in that arena, although probably the lower end of it. We were only able to stand in the entry of a Cambridge but I was very impressed with the woodwork and other appointments although we could not see a lot from our vantage point.

My understanding is the Cambridge is totally separate from the Montana division of Keystone. I would think they'd sign up their own dealer network although they might give first opportunity to existing Keystone dealers. Or maybe they'd prefer to use different dealers wherever they can to avoid competition among their own products. Who knows. I sure don't. Our dealer in Kansas City said they probably will not carry the Cambridge but I don't know if that's their decision or if it wasn't offered to them.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 10:15 AM   #40
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
I emailed the dealer down in New Castle In. from who we bought our Montana from to see if they have one. They have one on the floor. It is two hours away. I would like to see it but the better half says that is a long way to see a trailer you can't afford. Might have to do some real talking. If I go will take camera.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote