Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #241
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
at least he didn't have oriental hooker.

Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 AM   #242
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Come to Pahrump (NV). Got two legal houses 2 miles down the road from us. g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:47 AM   #243
Lady RV
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30
Please everyone, let's get back on topic.
Lady RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:11 AM   #244
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Diesel just jumped from 3.49 to 3.79 gal here in Del Rio, TX
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:26 AM   #245
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
This situation is a difficult one for the consumer to understand the root cause of, and therefore, it is hard to figure out how- or even IF - we can impact the problem at our level. Since, as posted, speculators are pumping up the price of oil and gold because of the falling US dollar (I believe it just fell below the level of the Franc yesterday?), we could be sitting on all the bbls of oil in the world and the price of oil would still remain high. So, slowing down, boycotting, etc that may have worked in a different economy, will not work here.

BTW, I read a fwd email today about a plan to boycott only Exxon and Mobil stations in an effort to force the two largest companies to substantially lower prices, and thereby causing all others to follow suit. I don't know who thinks up these things, but they apparently don't understand that Exxon and Mobil sell to many, many independent stations. It's impossible to know when you are buying Exxon or Mobil gasoline/diesel from any "Station X"...

The price of diesel may very well something our political leaders will have to help us out on. They have to take positive, strong, and quick action to shore up the US dollar. Are we breathing a sigh of relief yet???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:31 AM   #246
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Our form of Government works.We have a "representative" form of Government. If we have representatives that we do not trust and and do not represent us we have failed as we elect those folks into office..that is if we bother to vote. We need to understand how our Government works then actively participate.Government will not work..if we do not understand how it works.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #247
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Rich, for all the times we have disagreed, this time I agree with you 100%. I had an oil field equipment supply company for a while, before that a long history in oil production companies in senior management. It is the dollar value against world currencies that is killing us. A tax freeze would assist in an immediate lowering of cost to consumers at the pump but would not help the cost per barrel. The fortunate thing in all this is that the oil value is not based on euros. If our government could shore up the dollar we would see immediate relief.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:19 AM   #248
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I also agree, Jim. As only an lowly oilfield engineer for a service company I was not privy to many management workings of the major oil companies. My family did rely on their profits, however, for us to eat and sleep indoors.

I think a concerted consumer effort to flood our congressman/womans' offices with emails/letters about our concern for oil prices AND the falling dollar would be the most effective approach. I agree with your assessment of the results of our Govt actively and swiftly shoring up the USD.

BTW, my take on President Bush's blunder on his $4.00/gal gas comment - which genuinely surprised all the reporters in the room (but who remained respectful silent) - is that it is not his fault directly. HOWEVER, if it were me, there would be some aides standing in the unemployment line the very next morning.

Absolutely inexcusable to allow the President - Republican or Democratic - to be left hung out to dry like that and be embarrassed in front of the nation.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #249
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Disagreement stimulates discussion..Knowledge stimulates understanding....

There are a few folks on here who have great experience and knowledge in the oil industry and how it works also a few that have some knowledge of Government, finances, and commodities. It would not hurt to read and perhaps learn ..Maybe even use the internet to learn ourselves instead of thinking that something like this Exxon/Mobile thing will do any good (are not Exxon Mobile now one and the same)???without even understanding how those companies work and who and how they supply, as Dave points out.
Here is a little self quiz..no reply required. Do you know who your senators are..who your congressmen are..how many do you have ..what are their political parties.What is their stand on issues that effect you...how have they voted on issues that effect you.Have you let them know how you stand on the issues.Do you know what issues they are voting for.How involved are you in your Government.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #250
Retired Pilot
Established Member

M.O.C. #6630
If you are really interested in what the US is all about today go to
http://www.321gold.com/editorials/ha...ris031408.html
Retired Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #251
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
think maybe we RV'ers could block 75 north with our rigs from FL threw MI (on April 1st when its bumper to bumper RV's anyway) if we got on and just stopped moving???? We could all just run out of fuel and money at the same time!!!! Wonder how many tv stations would be up in the sky covering that story????? Just kidding but its would be news worthy!!!! LOL
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:13 AM   #252
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Together with the truckers we could block route 80 starting in New York and ending in San Francisco.
I think this would be no news for the major networks, they would turn this around and say that the fuel demand
are on the rise and prices of diesel would go thru the roof. Go figure.
Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:50 AM   #253
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Talking about these crazy boycott ideas,,Here is one that might be easier to do and co ordinate. In the month of Say July, a peak travel month, every rv'er in North America will stay parked for the entire month..not move our fuel consuming vehicles at all.... use not a drop of fuel.That is something we can do..not the "other guy" ..do bumper stickers, start topics on all the rv forums..do sign up sheets..notify the media, notify all the RV magazines. It will not impact the flow of consumer goods, it will allow folks to get to their jobs.We can do it...start the sign up sheets.....
Old 03-16-2008, 04:33 AM   #254
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Remember, our prices up here in Canada are even higher and we are an oil exporting country! Yesterday's new high for us was ONLY $1.229, but we post in litres, I belive that works out to $5.59 for our larger gallon, about $4.65/US gallon. Many regions in Canada are priced well above our prices, Yikes!!!! People said I was a little crazy as I have been forcasting 5.00/gal for a year, buuuuut! Planing a 1500 mile trip in spring to visit one of our daughters in Alberta, after that the Monty goes on our seasonal lot just out of Riding Mountain National Park. We have reserved our lot for the last 6 years and sure glad we did because seasonal availabilty around here is getting hard to come by!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #255
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
diesel is $3.79/gallon today in Denver.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 AM   #256
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
I'm doing my part about staying parked. My last tank of diesel was on Jan. 28th and the price was $3.19.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM   #257
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Just headed NORTH FROM RGV yesterday Sat morning. North of Fort Worth several truck stops with $4.00 diesel posted. I had the additional tank MUDCHIEF talked me into and made it all the way to Topeka with out refueling!!! However for those traveling through OKlahoma their fuel was $3.75 and up on the 35 interstate corridor. I hope this helps my fellow Montana owners headed north in the next few days. OH, forgot to say we traveled LIGHT, a small U HAUL instead or our LOVED MONTANA. It was a sad trip home. Christa and I dearly miss that chunk of white fiberglass behind us. our mileage of couse was 19 and 20 running 75 with Ac on. Big difference.. But VERY SAD TRIP. I hope my info will help a few traveling north in the next few days.
safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:52 PM   #258
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Remember back years ago when we were having this same issue and the government placed a windfall profit tax on companies and that stopped the problem.
It sure did. In fact, the oil companies stopped domestic exploration to avoid the tax forcing the increase of oil importation. That increased our cost of fuel at the pump. Oops, thats what we get when GOVERNMENT dabbles with the free market.

Government tampering with ethanol subsidies have caused a ripple in the food markets where farmers grow less wheat in favor of corn. See the price of bread recently? Too bad it takes just as much in gasoline to make Ethanol. If it were not for the $.45 subsidy it would not be cost effective (read politics and Iowa in Presidential primaries).

Again, oil company profits, is 9.8 percent, far less than Microsoft's 23 percent and equal Lockheed-Martin's 10 percent. Yep, $4.00 a gallon hurts but if one votes for representatives that keep refineries out of our back yard, mandate exotic fuel summer blends or prevent domestic exploration we only have ourselves to blame.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:47 PM   #259
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ye Gads Steve.. There you go with the facts..Who wants to hear that stuff....Lets boycott something.. Lets call our politicians names, how about a good conspiracy theory. I hear that OPEC and the corn farmers are in league to produce corn for fuel..where do you think they are getting all that money to build those Ethanol plants.It's those OPEC guys and our evil politicians... We don't need no stinking facts..
Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM   #260
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
I paid $3.85 for diesel here in Canon City,CO on Sat. It was the cheapest I found in town. Other stations were $3.99 and $4.09. That is a large difference between stations in a town with the main drag 3 miles long. $3.85 may be somewhat less compared to other parts of the country.
JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote