Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
Satellite Connection

When it rains it pours. More issues. We made the jump to satellite. Long story short. when I connect the coax from dish at the outside living room satellite (where water hook-ups are) and then run the coax inside from satellite to the receiver, I get no signal. When I run the coax directly from the dish to the receiver, it works fine.

I made sure the amplifier is off.

Unscrewed the face plates to make sure same wires ran from each jack. System has worked fine with cable using jacks marked for cable.

Hope this makes sense. Hoping it's another moron fix....

Thanks

ourturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 12:43 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I had to replace the cheap connecters in the C center before I could get ours to consistently work. Also you should check the position of the jumper near your antenna booster.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
We had the exact same type problem and we needed to replace all our connectors. Worked great after that. Good luck. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:41 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
First of all on the 2013 Big Sky the connections in the C center were wired backwards and nothing worked. We then had a signal but poor reception bad connectors I suspect. We finally just drilled holes in the side of the slide with the entertainment center, put a jack there and ran the sat directly to the receivers.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:09 PM   #5
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
Will replace connectors at both sides, assume available at Radio Shack.

Not sure what a jumper is though.

Thanks all!
Old 05-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The jumper is a little cable next to the antenna booster. It can be connected several ways and depending on how it's connected some things work and others don't.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:23 PM   #7
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
DQDick, don't believe we have a jumper? Our booster is in the bedroom closet, with separate cable and satellite jacks. What am I missing?
Old 05-21-2014, 05:36 PM   #8
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Not sure where Dicks coax enters his trailer but there should be a short 6 inch piece of coax inside the wall where your cable comes in and then goes right back out on another coax stub that goes to the bedroom where your booster is in the closet. When you use cable the theory is to send it back to the bedroom connection because that's where your antenna is and then it runs back up to the lvgroom tv, So when you have a satellite box you have to remove the shorty cable and figure out which end is the one coming in from your outside connection and get a 3 ft section to run to your box and then out of the box on another cable right back to the outlet where the other stub is that the 6 inch piece was connected. It sounds confusing but if you look and sit down and draw it out on paper it helps....ok maybe... I hope. If your satellite box is a dual receiver you ll have to go thru its menu to see what channel you need to put the bedroom tv on for reception..... I won't say how long it took me to figure that one out lol lol .............and your connections on the wall plate and the one outside should be good,,,the bad ones are the ones on the ends of the coax cables...I replaced all the loose coax cables I could and then just got the coax connectors from Walmart and put new ends on the others.....If you give the connectors a good tug I am willing to bet half of them will come off in your hand....it will really frustrate you...
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Take a look at the Television wiring diagram at http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=37324 and use the 2010 and later diagram. The front living room models are a little different but the wiring should be very close.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:06 AM   #10
fasanjager
Established Member

M.O.C. #9889
Have the same issue if we have to run too long of a coax to the Satellite, we have a Tailgater. If only running 50 feet or less works fine, if running 75 to 100 feet then need to hook direct to the receiver.
fasanjager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:57 AM   #11
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
Point of clarification prior to heading to the store - the term connectors is used in reference to joining 2 sections of coax together as opposed to the crimped on ends - correct?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:53 AM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually it could be either or both.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #13
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Actually it could be either or both.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #14
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
Well it appear the satellite is winning this one. Drawings reflect simple cable in and cable out scenario, but think the jumper may be the key. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to how it was configured for cable prior to disassembling for satellite. Being a front living room, my amp is in the rear bedroom closet. The 3 jacks in living room entertainment center are labeled Cable/Satellite?Outside TV. There is a splitter mounted near it that appears factory installed (same colored screws). Will experiment with which goes in the single and which come out of the double. In the meantime will route coax thru window to bypass.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #15
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ourturn

Unscrewed the face plates to make sure same wires ran from each jack. ...........
Not clear on this. Do you mean you verified that the wire (coax) from the outside sat connection goes direct to the inside sat connection?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:43 AM   #16
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
Can't vouch for the integrity of what I can't see, but the colors match up at the connivence center and the entertainment center. Assumed a simple hook up from entertainment center jack to the receiver. Not the case. Missing the pigtail connection I guess?
Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would disconnect what you think is the correct sat cable at both ends and then use an ohm meter to verify that is in fact the cable that goes between those two sat connection points. If it is then replace the connectors on both ends. If not then you have found the first problem.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:20 AM   #18
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
Thanks, but don't have meter and wouldn't know how to use it if I did. After reading this and other posts, think I may go the creating a separate direct connection and call it good. Appreciate the suggestions!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I don't know what kind of access you have to your TV/entertainment area in relation to an outside wall.

On mine I did not have two separate coax conectors for sat and cable. Just one connector that went to a coax jumper plate below the TV. Had to remove the jumper for sat, and reinstall it for cable. Worked OK but was an annoyance. So I added a second external coax plate for the sat. It is not in the convenience center, but with the rubber cover it doesn't matter.

I could remove an interior panel in the cabinet below the TV and see an outside wall. That made it pretty simple. I just drilled a hole in the outside wall in that area and installed a new external coax connector like this. I installed a new interior coax connector wall plate like this bought from Lowes on the interior panel I had removed. Then connected the two together with a new short RG6 coax from Lowes. My sat box is in that same cabinet below the TV so connections were simple.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:50 AM   #20
ourturn
Established Member

M.O.C. #12191
Thanks BB Tex. Lots of room under there so this appears doable. Will continue to ponder what went wrong, but at least I will have TV in the interim. Workamping in the CO mountains and all we got was PBS over the air - no cable. Thus our satellite experiment.