Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Wet carpet in dining room slide

In both corners of the dining room/living room slide the carpet is wet, just a small area, when it rains. I have checked the walls, windows etc inside and there is no water or moisture. Can't see anything outside that would be leaking either. Anyone have this problem before??

cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mark, just a suggestion but are the weep holes in the windows plugged. I'm told this could cause leaking inside. Another thing to look at is the top seal on the slide, some have been mounted too high to protect from leaking. Another thing is to look at the outer seals along the sides of the slides. These should be lubed periodically with a good quality seal lubricant to keep them soft and pliable. I hope one of these helps you. Maybe others will have some ideas. Good luck and please let us know what the solution was......Oh, one other, make sure your undercarriage is sealed so no water seeps in after travelling in the rains, it sometimes can soak the floor boards causing wet spots......Again, good luck..
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #3
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
Mark, we had a frustrating leak in our SOB, think we finally fixed by caulking the corner where the top and side gasket come together at the top . We think it was somehow leaking down the side gasket. Since liberally caulking everything it has not leaked in the last three rains we have had, best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 02:20 AM   #4
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
When you say side gasket are you talking about the black rubber that runs from the top to the bottom of the slide?
Old 02-14-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmawendy

In both corners of the dining room/living room slide the carpet is wet, just a small area, when it rains. I have checked the walls, windows etc inside and there is no water or moisture. Can't see anything outside that would be leaking either. Anyone have this problem before??
Yes! The corner of my LR slide carpet got wet and I took a shot in the dark by resealing the tape at the outside edge of the slide roof. I assumed that water may have been running down inside the wall. So far-no more wet carpet but who knows.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:30 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You probably checked this already but, if not, if the outside seal, the vertical gasket running between slide and rig, is curled under, it likely will leak water. That happens to us, anyhow. Now I check every time the slides are extended and use the awning rod to turn the seal when needed.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
KDS MONY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7362
If you look carefully at the gasket you will probably see three parts, two flat wipers one each on either side of a center piece which has a hollow center. If this is the configuration of your gasket try plugging the hole of the center piece at the top with a generous amount of caulking. This stopped our leak, best wishes, Jay and Kathy
KDS MONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 04:06 AM   #8
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Well I caulked over the windows, main seam on the outer edge of the slide, and the seam on the flashing under the windows....so we will see, so far we don't see any leaks. It is raining now so keep your fingers crossed
Thanks for all your suggestions.