Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2009, 06:30 AM   #1
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Foremost fulltime insurance

Does anyone have Foremost Insurance on thier rig?
Thanks, Chris

Roamingusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You might want to post this under "Insurance" instead.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, We have Foremost Insurance for fulltimers. We compared several companies and found that they were writing the same policies and at comparable premiums as the others. They were far better than GMAC and within a few dollars of Progressive. Since I have satisfactory claims experience with Foremost, I chose to continue with them.

By-the-way, rates and coverages are controlled by state statute, so comparing a policy in your state with one in some other state is an improper comparison. A proper comparison is to compare the different carriers in you state of residency, i.e., where you are licensed.

In Texas, the coverage and premium can vary significantly with the same insurance carrier from county to county. So when you hear about this incredible rate, usually it means they are in another state or they don't have the coverage they think they do. I congratulate you for doing your homework. Read the provisions of the policy and especially the exclusions and ask questions so that you can be a truly informed buyer.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
rvghostdriver
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4518
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

You might want to post this under "Insurance" instead.
His topic asks about fulltime insurance so it is in the right place isn't it?
rvghostdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I had Foremost Fulltimers ins for the two years we ft'd. They were great. Very low premiums and very quick on their claims. Stiles is absolutely correct, though. It does vary state by state. Mich was great. Some other states I guess were not Foremost friendly. Different statutes and laws.

I would go back to them again in a heartbeat if we switched back to FTing instead of Longtiming...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is a topic that spans across both topic areas, so you are fine in my opinion.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

It is a topic that spans across both topic areas, so you are fine in my opinion.
Thanks all, didn't mean to start a war! Just kidding. Anyway I never thought about the policies being different state to state. I was looking to see if my "zapped and fried" problem would of been covered under them. I read my neighbors here in NV and it looks like, because is was caused by someone's neglegence it would not cover, but I cannot read insurance "talk" that well anyway!
I didn't even realize there was an insurance section ...Duhhhh...
Chris
Old 07-14-2009, 06:19 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Could I try to separate a couple of issues regarding fulltimer's insurance?

What our company (National Interstate) lists as "fulltimer's insurance" is nothing more than a liability package, similar to renter's insurance or a homeowner's liability coverage.

What differs is the coverage you get on the rig and its contents. That's not fulltimer's insurance but I think this is what you're asking about? There are two (this is very generalized) types of coverage, or so I am led to believe.

One is actually a rider on your automotive insurance. It covers the rig and liability while being towed. And your homeowner's or renter's insurance may or may not cover the rig and its contents while it is disconnected from the tow vehicle. This is the coverage most auto insurance agents will get you. Some may have true rig insurance but many do not and may not even know the difference. This kind of coverage met our needs before we started fulltiming.

The second type is true insurance coverage on the rig and its contents, including some liability (possibly). This insurance is similar to homeowner's insurance and is independent of the tow vehicle insurance. This is more expensive than the rider on your vehicle insurance, although not unreasonable in my opinion. Cost is similar to our homeowner's coverage, as I recall.

Fulltimer's insurance, then, is a liability addon for fulltimers. Of course, we, as fulltimer's, have the full package of insurance.

If I messed up any of that, someone correct me. I hope this helps.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:17 PM   #9
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Adding to what Steve has said, as a full timer, I want a casualty policy to cover comprehensive and liability losses that I may incur whether from while in transit or while I am at a camping site, whether while the TV is attached or while it is not.

Since you can't read insuranc-ese, you might consider making a claim which will be paid or denied based on the coverage and/or exclusions of your policy.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
We have Foremost Insurance covering out Park Model in McAllen, Tx. They are the only company covering mobile homes in the area. I had a claim after one of the hurricanes last year. Phoned them, told them the damages, no-one came to look, received a check for full replacement cost. Mind you my premiums went up 50%, but what can you do when they are the only company.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Roamingusa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4995
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann

We have Foremost Insurance covering out Park Model in McAllen, Tx. They are the only company covering mobile homes in the area. I had a claim after one of the hurricanes last year. Phoned them, told them the damages, no-one came to look, received a check for full replacement cost. Mind you my premiums went up 50%, but what can you do when they are the only company.
Thanks guys, got it covered.