Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2008, 01:16 PM   #21
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
This is a good topic. My DW used to stand behind the trailer and point in the direction for me to turn. One problem, I kept telling her if she can't see me in the mirror, how am I to see her. Then our Daughters got us some walkie talkies. This was great, only now I had to tell DW she had to talk to me. But we still love them . And as Waymen said " Whoa " is a word that should not be used. At time it almost sounds like " GO ",or "SLOW " trust me.

Bill

1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:13 AM   #22
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Ditto about DW standing directly behind RV and not being able to see her.
Tried Walkie Talkies but we both had minor brain lapses about pushing talk button.
Went to hands free cell phone saved a communication problem and now the process is pretty good.
DW gets me ino many places that when I get out and look I am truly amazed.
Liked Bill's idea of two flash lights on each side of pad at night.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:26 AM   #23
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I just gave up on the Walkie Talkies. In fact I gave them away at the fall rally.
I have had SOME success getting Lorraine to stand where I can see her MOST of the time. Notice I said "MOST of the time".
The cell phone idea sounds like it could work. Heaven knows women know how to use a cell phone. Because of my hearing I use the speaker phone all the time. Just may give that a try next time.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:57 AM   #24
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
When using DW as a ground guide, rule number one is if you can't see her stop and don't move. We have walkie/talkies and only used them when setting up the Sattelite Dish. We have also used the cell phones with the ear piece, that works. I had lots of experience in backing different types of trailers so were lucky there. And we do use pull thru sites when we can.

Again NEVER, NEVER back up when you can't see the ground guide. Good Luck. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:14 AM   #25
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have the walkie talkies, WHEN they are charged and ready to use, Al listens, I talk. Poor man, I start talking, hold the button down and keep talking, I will not stop, as you get those little silent spaces, usually when I say STOP, and it does not register on the walkie talkie until I have said STOP, then yelled STOP 4 more times.

Have started using the cell phones, and that works pretty good, unless you are in one of those places with no cell service.

He gets out and looks a lot. Be careful, getting out and looking is sure preferable to hitting something.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 03:38 AM   #26
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
And when getting out to look, look UP as well as at the ground. We NEARLY hit an overhanging tree branch once because we were focused on a particular obstacle on the ground. We do use walkie talkies, but I also like to see hand signals as well. Cell phones might be a good alternative, but at present we only have one between us. If in doubt, STOP!
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:00 AM   #27
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

When using DW as a ground guide, rule number one is if you can't see her stop and don't move. We have walkie/talkies and only used them when setting up the Sattelite Dish. We have also used the cell phones with the ear piece, that works. I had lots of experience in backing different types of trailers so were lucky there. And we do use pull thru sites when we can.

Again NEVER, NEVER back up when you can't see the ground guide. Good Luck. GBY.....
I did use rule #1 all the time. After sitting still about a minute or two she does reappear in my mirror with that "what?" look on her face. I still do not move until she walks up to the TV and once again I explain the "Seeing me in the mirror" thingy. Lately she has been much more cognizant of the mirrors.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have the backup camera so you can see directly behind the RV. It also has audio so I can hear Helen screaming or she, me cursing. We have been doing this so long that we know where to be when directing backing. If you can't see my mirrors..I can't see you..applies. We used the family radios all the way down to Florida..one in the Honda ..one in the truck..worked well.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #29
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Oooops, sounds like the women are all doing the same things that drive you DHs crazy while backing in!!! I know I have made Dave a little crazy. He's usually so patient, but we both get a little frustrated with each other. The cell phones have saved the day. Now maybe we can hear the other side of the discussion from the women. What drives the DWs crazy with the process?
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 06:36 AM   #30
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
my wife and i have very simple set of rules. the rule, she says STOP i get out and look.

i do tape her finger to the button. did i say that? please strike that last remark
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #31
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We no longer use the walkie talkies after they almost got me killed. DW was following me in a seperate vehicle. I pulled onto a entrance ramp in a MH pulling a 25 ft. boat and asked if it was OK for me to come over. All I heard was "Come Over" I did and a 18 wheeler missed me by inches. DW didn't push the buttom fast enough or I would have heard. "DON'T Come Over"
I guess those walkie talkies are still in the right of way of I-10 in Arkansas.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #32
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I have learned that it's best I get out and look over things and I position a couple cones (at night I line up a flashlight on them) where I want to end up. DW takes the dog for a walk and scouts the area and I should be done by the time she gets back.

I think DW's biggest issue is that she has never and doesn't want to ever drive the rig and doesn't know how to communicate what to tell me especially when backing up. And I didn't know how to communicate it to her because I am from Mars and she is from Venus. She also tends to focus on where she is and watches only the one point of possible contact. She may not watch the other 6 corners of references I have to keep track of and I find myself concentrating on the one item she is.

I have a couple of cones that I used to denote where I want my tires to be and will actually measure (visually or with a tape measure) where I plan to end clear of objects of concern. I rarely have to set up in the dark and prefer to work by myself because it usually ends up being quicker than each of us trying to figure out what to say.

Fortunately, since we don't stay long at any one place I am getting a lot of opportunities to get pretty good at it.

NOW, I am also getting better are trying to teach DW how to back me up using the radios (and we have headsets for those so she can use her hands and I can use both of mine and they always have reception where we happen to be). Our biggest problem in the past was the words we picked and what words I needed to help me visualize, for example, "6 feet to go straight back, 5 feet to go a little left" instead of "just keep coming back until I tell you to stop". But this may take a while and that's okay with me. But she is a reluctant airline flagman and doesn't like wearing the headgear (no need to push the button with these), so it will take a while.

Whatever works for you as a couple, is what you do. But find something.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote