Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > The Campsite
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2007, 07:31 PM   #21
Ed Benson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1027
We like our Camp Chef propane stove - breaks down nicely and carries in the optional bag. You can't beat the convenience for outside cooking for a crowd. We do alot of Dutch Oven cooking, so one of these is almost a necessity. Recommend sticking to Lodge cast iron as well - the import stuff just isn't the quality.

Ed Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #22
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Carry a BabyQ hooked into a propane T off the main bottles and occasionally use solar methods as well. We don't camp, we RV, so the use of a crock pot is the ultimate lazy way for me to cook. DH loves to grill up my other creations so I enjoy the salad and wine while waiting routine.

We will leave it stowed, disconnected, under the rig between uses or until it cools.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:11 AM   #23
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
We have the baby Q as well. It fits perfectly on the drawer slide in the basement. And I have a T on the main bottle as well. Makes it real easy to slide it out and start cookin'. We also got the griddle accessory that works great for pancakes ,eggs, bacon and hash brown potatoes, etc. And it’s a easy cleanup. We just got a fire pit grate for steak, chicken, and burgers. It’s an art grilling over the hot coals of a camp fire. I’m just learning that skill. So far only cost me a few burnt up steaks, some dried out chicken and all the hair on one arm. But I’m gonna get it!!!
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #24
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave e Victoria

The RoadTrip grill does not get very hot.
I'm a little shocked at this comment. One thing I cuss on our Roadtrip is it gets too hot compared to what I'm used to and I burn everything. After using it and it's two 10,000 btu burners, I always considered it more of a stove than a grill. Again, I replaced a small gas Weber BBQ that took forever to cook.

In all our years of camping we have never had anything stolen and I'm starting to get a complex. We leave our chairs, carpet, stove, icemaker, and even our beer outside when we leave. Once I even left an Old Milwakee reciprocating saw in the box on the picnic bench and was shocked to see it there when I returned. I am only a vacationer though, so I may not have near the exposure as you folks Phil.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #25
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Brad, I just attended a campground seminar today on RV crimes. The key to prevent this is so simple. it is called "LOcK IT UP". As parents we always scolded our kids to lock their bikes and what do we do? Run off sightseeing and leave the bikes unlocked. # 1 stolen item in RV parks is BIKES. Most are from state and federal parks and not RV parks.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 AM   #26
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I purchased the Coleman 9949-750 Road Trip Grill. Have not had the opportunity to use it yet. Looks nice, folds up nice, but is a little heavy. Hey, I'm macho and can lift it. :-)

We had a gift certificate that had to be used and the Coleman was our choice at the time. Baby Q looks a little small for our grilling needs.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:19 AM   #27
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Phil,
I can just imagine bikes are the big hit at a campground. It's interesting that the public parks are more vulnerable than the private.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:23 AM   #28
jretz
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6321
Phil, we use the RoadTrip great for Bar-B-Que and as others we have the extra grates for the griddle and pans. As for leaving items outside, it is funny, we leave the RoadTrip and chairs out but make sure we put away or lock up the bikes. Also leave our outside cooler and other assorted items out. Our present neighbor had some major water damage inside their 5th wheel and were doing repairs, he had a table with all kinds of hand and power tools on it. He just covered it with a table cloth and left them out with no problem, I don't think I could be that trusting.
jretz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:09 AM   #29
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I've been using Weber charcoal products or Weber knock-offs for 30 some years. I have not been able to master using gas grills. The irony is I would like to use gas rather than charcoal, especially when on the road. Any suggestions?
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:30 PM   #30
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Joe, I was a diehard "charcoaler" for years until I finally converted some 20 years ago. Gas ones take getting used to and learning each grill is a chore, but I feel well worth the effort. No longer having to wait for the charcoal to get lit or die down a little or adding to it every so often. like the fact that I can turn it on and in 10 minutes or less I am cooking. I would advise not to get a cheap one. As I said we use the Weber Baby Q as it is only Cathy and I, although I have had 4 steaks on it before. The only problem with this is that it does not take the regular size propane bottles. I have to get the little skinny blue tanks from ACE hardware to fit in the holder. I also have a 12 ft extension to my on board tanks but I prefer to reserve this for house use, just my personal thing. Adjustability of flame is a big thing and somewhat missing in the portable units, I think the Coleman grill is good also.... Try foods you have to cook done, (pork and chicken) first until you get used to the heat......Good luck....
Old 01-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #31
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Phil,

To answer your original question, we don't carry an extra stove; as fulltimers, we just don't have that type of extra room for occasional use items.

We just recently got rid of the Weber Q, after several cleanings, and then it would light and then blow out....aaaarggggh! Tried cleaning all the tubes etc. I never cared for the regulator, it just wasn't much difference between Hi and Low. I hated the little grill slots, they were hard to keep clean. This stove got lots and lots of wear and tear.

We bought a new Igloo BBQ. (http://tinyurl.com/38jku3). Wow, this one works great, so far. There is a great difference between the different heat settings. I have it connected to the large Monty bottle with a 20 foot cord. This one has nice wide grilling slots, so everything either falls through the cracks or is easily wiped off.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:09 AM   #32
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
When is dinner?
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:59 AM   #33
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robbie, looks like a good sturdy unit. Mine will get a good cleaning at Q.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:08 PM   #34
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Phil,
Don't ruin the pork. It doesn't have to be cooked all the way through anymore. A little pink in the middle is ok.

Pinker pork!
Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #35
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Waynem

Phil,
Don't ruin the pork. It doesn't have to be cooked all the way through anymore. A little pink in the middle is ok.

Pinker pork!
Edited: Oops! Off-topic, so let me add "when grilling."
Old 01-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #36
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Robbie- Did you get your Igloo at Cabela like the website stated or did you get it somewhere else? Thinking of buying a gas grill besides my small tabletop charcoal one to keep in the Monte. Did you buy a regulator for the direct line hook up from your large bottles or just run it off that oneat the bottles?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:14 AM   #37
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Rondo,

At the risk of getting off-topic, (sorry Phil) I will answer your question.

Yes, I bought ours at Cabelas. They had the best price. I have since noticed that there are several different brand names besides 'Igloo', but they are all the same grill.

I run the stove off of a tee and long hose attached to the propane cylinder; this was purchased at CW.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 AM   #38
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I have the Coleman 9949-750 Road Trip Grill LXE (Red) and the first chance I get I'm selling it because it didn't suit MY purpose.Too heavy,if you cook meat right on the grill it's quit messy and requires oven cleaner to clean before putting it away,doesn't give the barbeque taste I like.These stoves give you two gas burners outside.I'm going back to the old gas(lp)grills with the lava rocks.Like I said it didn't serve my purpose.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:07 AM   #39
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I have the same grill Gary and I love it. When I cook on it, I take olive oil, soak some on a paper napkin and coat the porcelain covered surface. When I'm finished cooking, I wipe the grill off, take the porcelain inside and use a sturdy soap brush and it comes right off. I even have the grill marks on the stake.

Yes, it is heavy, but I consider that my exercise for the day, getting it out of the basement. (Well of course I don't do it every day, so I have to supplement the exercise by getting out of the recliner and walking to the refrigerator for a beer.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #40
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
Coleman Propane Two Burner Stove is what I have. I have an adapter so I run it off a smaller LP tank, which I also use for the BBQ. I wouls say leaving things out at your campsite would depend on the area you are in. From the very start of my camping when I was a kid until now, we have never had anything taken from our site while out sightseeing.