Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2011, 07:52 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
What I have learned...

...About Shower drain leaks. It is the design that contributes to them. Other threads have stated all I have to say, but if you didn't read those threads, I want summarize.
  • The plastic OEM drain flange has flat sides on the threads that make a path for leaks when water begins to get past the plumbers putty and...
  • Water gets past the plumbers putty because the shower floor is not supported well and...
  • The hanger strap is too tight to allow flexing by the shower floor causing the plumbing to twist and corrupt the putty seal.
Leaks can be avoided by adding support to the shower floor in various ways (I used spray-in foam). This cuts down on the flex when someone is showering. Additionally, take down one side of the hanger strap, then have some one stand in the shower to create downward flex and reinstall the strap, leaving a little gap between the strap and the pipe. I also replaced the plastic drain flange with a metal one.

I post this because I hope others can avoid RV tech bills for fixing a leak. I paid for it twice. They fixed the leak but not the problem. The leak reoccurred. The work was guaranteed. That does me no good if I have moved 1200 miles away. I finally got in there and figured it out myself.

Now that we have done this, the floor flexes very little and there is no twisting bind on the plumbing it moves unencumbered with the shower floor.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I completly agree with Stiles. Acting on advise on this forum way back in 2005 we had the drain on out 06 3400 replaced with a quality metal drain at our dealer before delivery. We also reenforced the bottom of the tub using thick heavy duty styrofoam. We have not had a problem in five years.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Stiles,

How did you get up underneath the shower pan? Does yours have access panels like the 2006 models? Ours doesn't have any access panels.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There is no access panel on mine either. There is about 3" hole around where the drain piping comes through. I carefully added the foam in the cavity between the tub and the plywood. I did not cover the drain fittings with foam, just put small amounts of foam spray in the void and let it expand and harden. Then went back and added as needed. It is more by feel than by sight.

On mine, the factory installed Styrofoam bat only filled maybe half the void under the shower. I foamed the other half. I did not worry about how far back into the void the foam went. I just made sure the space around the floor drain and about 3" or so back was supported.

It feels much more solid. When Dianna walks around in the shower, there is very little give. A byproduct of this is that I got rid of a squeak we had when walking between the shower and the bed that has bugged me for about a year.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:23 PM   #5
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Thanks!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #6
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

It feels much more solid. When Dianna walks around in the shower, there is very little give. .
You are a very, no VERY brave man to make this statement! I think I would have said...When I walk around in the shower, there is very little give.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:41 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can't observe the give when I walk around in the shower which must be done from the basement. But when I do, it feels more solid. She is within 3 lbs of her wedding dress weight. After 51 years of marriage, I feel secure.