Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2011, 02:35 AM   #1
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Drawer under Couch

Rt 10 in New Orleans got me - broke a slide track on the big drawer under the couch. Has anybody had this issue and repaired it? Was wondering if a standard slide track from Home Depot or Lowes would work?

steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
We had ours repaired at the service center in the fall.onths later it came out again on the way here. So far I just put it back in the track. Good luck Steve!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:21 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Seem to recall someone posting a repair to their sofa drawer slide just a few days ago???
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:41 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
I posted on this subject a few days ago. My drawer was been difficult to slide since day one. It finally broke last week. I went to Home Depot and got the strongest drawer guides they had. They were a few inches longer than the originals but they still work fine. The drawer now works better than ever.
One little trick I used when installing was, I loosened the frame's bolts to allow for easier fitting of the drawer once everything was bolted/screwed on. Then with drawer in place, I tightened the frame bolts. That helped the drawer slide easier.
I also re used the bolts/screws that were with the original drawer. I had to drill some new holes but the drawer is now much better than ever.
Good luck.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
tim43
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9178
Although my drawer is still in one piece, it slides open when on the road and we solved that problem with one of those small yellow tire chocks you can get at WalMart. We just chock the bottom middle of the drawer and it doesn't move.
tim43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Got the new 3400 home yesterday. The salesman didn't mention the drawer under the couch. How do you open it? We like everything about the Montana except the remote is hard to get to work and the slide "locks" aren't working as yet! Several kitchen cabinet doors came open on the road but the salesman mentioned to always check these. That is why we attempted to use the slide locks to open only the dining table/couch slide so we could check the doors before crushing them.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:50 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
To open the drawer, grab under the center of it and jerk/pull to open it. Be careful. It is easy to twist and jam.

I will have to try the yellow wheel chock idea. My latch broke and it is not easy to replace with a latch that works.
Thanks
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:25 AM   #8
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Steve, I had the couch drawer fixed again this last rally at the service center. A R/R crossing got it the last time, blew the whold bottom out and snapped the glides. This time Keystone replaced the drawer with the black plastic tub which is about 20 lbs lighter than the old particle board and masonite POS that came with the rig. The new glides are working just fine and I also use a chock on my drawer.
navybanker, you mention "slide locks" I am not familiar with that term, not sure what you are referring to... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:59 PM   #9
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I can't think of the correct term! The switch that let's you turn "on" or "off" particular slide movement going out or coming in. My wife thinks the problem is the remote does this once the proper switches located outside on the driver's side are turned off or on. I was attempting to move slides out out of sequence to check the kitchen cabinet doors. The remote was not used and we were using the slide switch on the control panel inside the camper. The switches outside for two individual slides were turned off. We could not see all the cabinet doors with all the slides in. Some of the doors next to the refrigerator that were visible were open. I wanted to open the dinette/couch slide just after the bedroom slide. The refrigerator/kitchen slide goes second on ours then the tv/desk slide. Clear as Mud!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 01-07-2011, 01:46 AM   #10
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Steve, Bill replaced our slides with heavy duty drawer slides from Lowes... It works great now and has never come open or off track.

That New Orleans will get you every time.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #11
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Thanks for all your replies. I have to run 10 through LA and TX so I'll wait to fix it!!!
Old 01-07-2011, 09:56 AM   #12
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by navybanker

I can't think of the correct term! The switch that let's you turn "on" or "off" particular slide movement going out or coming in......
They use switches now?! My "slide selector knobs" are knobs on needle valves that stop the hydraulic fluid from charging the individual slide cylinders.

Are they electrical now? I know, last year the Lippert rep was talking about an electronic slide selector system, so that you could control whichever individual slide you wanted with the remote (he had the prototype remote at the '09 Fall Rally, it was humongous though).

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
My use of the word "switches" is misleading. They are not toggle switches as such. They are black knobs you turn 180 degrees from "on" to "off". How they work is another question. However, they didn't work the day the camper was parked at the stick house for the first time. I haven't tried them again. I didn't use the remote but can't see what difference that would make. The Montana has a manufacture date of 12/7/10 so not sure anything changed.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 01-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #14
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
Navybanker,
My 09 3605RL has the same turn knobs in a panel on the driver side front. Same place the landing gear operation switch is. When I turn them off, either individually or together, only the slide that isn't turned off opens and closes, with the red light on. This red light is turned on by the long push button near the light. The remote or the "slide switch inside the rig' works the slides not turned off. I use this feature when stopped for lunch and I only want the kitchen an dining room open. The others stay closed, so I think that these turn knobs actually turn the manifold switches on or off to direct the hydraulic fluid to the slides that you want to open. By the way, the one labeled AUX, at least on ours, is really the kitchen slide, as I remember. You have the DS meaning Door Side, the ODS, meaning the Off Door Side, the BED and AUX. I hope this description makes sense.
Best wishes,
Steve
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:56 PM   #15
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Getting back on subject line, Steve, how did the drawer situation end?... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 AM   #16
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I plan on getting stronger heavy duty slide and installing them when we stay in Tombstone for a month. Drawer is just pushed underneath the couch now
Old 02-02-2011, 03:41 AM   #17
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
I finished the fix yesterday....bought the 100# drawer slides and and installed them. Of course, the mounting holes did not align up with the factory installed slides - had to drill new holes in the side of the drawer as well as metal frame of the couch. Works good so far but we will see after getting on some of those bumpy roads!
Old 02-02-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Great job Steve. Judy and I are pleased we are travelling with you and Betty. It's been a fast month!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote