Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
Countertop Ice Maker

I have been thinking about getting a countertop ice maker for our 330RL. My husband has to have ice in about everything. We have trays to make cubes in the freezer but we have to stay up with it to have enough made. Does anyone have one of these portable ice makers and if you do which make/model? I have seen a few around at Camping World, Sam's, Costco, Amazon and all have mixed reviews. We boondock at times so I know this will only come into play when we have hook ups. I also know that these things only make ice and we would still have to store it in the freezer after it's made.
I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #2
Raven17
Established Member

M.O.C. #24494
Hello Rambler My wife loves ice in everything she drinks. We purchased one 4 years ago for our original Montana. We moved it to our new Montana even thou it has an ice maker in the refrigerator that takes a few hours to make at best. We leave it on counter when traveling, plug it up when we open slides, add bottled water and have ice 6-8 minutes later before you get setup completed. Feed it water and empty ice to freezer as it fills. Usually have some extra when we pack to leave with both of us using from it.
Raven17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 01:38 PM   #3
Raven17
Established Member

M.O.C. #24494
Hope this helps
Raven17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:51 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Most of the counter top ice makers are made by one China company. Take a look at the schematic on the back cover and it will look identical to all the others. That said, they vary in price depending on the source and the size (9 cube v. 12cube?). Target has them cheaper than Camping World.

We have had one for 10 years. We use it all the time, even when boondocking. We run the generator daily for a few hours to charge the batteries and use that time to make ice. It makes ice pretty quickly, but as you know, it is an ice maker, not an ice keeper. Bag the ice and store it in thr freezer to harden before use.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #5
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
I had one for a while and must say that it operated as it should but I didn't care for the ice it made mainly because it didn't last long in a drink. I also wasn't fond of having to tend to the unit and bag the ice to store. Sold mine and went back to buying bagged ice as we don't use much. Am very happy with the ice maker in our current Samsung residential though.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:14 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
We had one for about four years, originally to make ice for Becky after she had a knee replacement. Transferred it into the trailer and it worked great. Then, last year, it started to slow down. Purchased this one from Amazon, and it's a bit smaller than the other one, but makes ice twice as fast. We also make and freeze the ice in ziplock bags in the freezer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
The ice ours makes is great for our cocktails. I like it because it’s soft enough to crunch without breaking a tooth. The residential fridge in our unit also makes good ice but it’s like trying to chew on cold granite...great for ice tea.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #8
Last2Die
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22986
We have one, love it works great and is quick to make ice.
2018 3920fb 2020 GMC Denali 3500 4x4 Duramax, 10 speed Allison. LB SRW, Firestone air bags with Airlift wireless onboard compressor. Anderson Ultimate Hitch. MX4 folding cover. 50gal titan in bed transfer tank. Onan 6500 lp genset installed by me ! Had: 2 HF 3500 Inverters with Parallel Kit
Last2Die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
With a HC, you probably have a 1200 series Norcold fridge. If so, why not install their optional icemaker. It's ~108 bucks at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-Inc-R.../dp/B0031XQRE6.

A countertop version is nice but that's just more to store (probably wet!) when traveling plus uses more counter space when at a CG.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #10
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrmann View Post
We had one for about four years, originally to make ice for Becky after she had a knee replacement. Transferred it into the trailer and it worked great. Then, last year, it started to slow down. Purchased this one from Amazon, and it's a bit smaller than the other one, but makes ice twice as fast. We also make and freeze the ice in ziplock bags in the freezer. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I bought one for the same reason - knee replacement. We like the ice maker because its fast and makes chewable ice. I'm a fan - worth the small cost.
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:59 PM   #11
SaraLouwho
Established Member

M.O.C. #14458
I bought one and used for a few years. It works great and it has been passed on to our daughter. The only Con is the room it takes up on the counter. We are fortunate the
RV Park is in put in another ice maker near our rig so we use that instead of our portable.
SaraLouwho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #12
chapman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10801
Portable ice maker

We have had one for about 6 years. We keep in in the big storage compartment. We have run it on a 800 watt inverter and it works great. When the batteries start getting low I fire up the generator. We have another inverter inside our rig and use that one also for the ice maker at times and keep it on a little computer table the 3150 came with next to the t v
chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #13
Billbored
Established Member

M.O.C. #23714
$100 at Walmart. Makes ice in 8 minutes, on the boat, or in the camper. Stash bags of it in the big freezer for later use.
Billbored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #14
Displaced Alaskans
Established Member

M.O.C. #23466
Get the Opal

I got my wife an Opal about 5 years ago we were still living in a "sticks-and-bricks" home. It works great at making Nugget ice. She is still using it in our full time RV adventure. She keeps it in the cargo hold basement on the starboard side of the rig. She gets about 4, 1 gallon zip lock bags of ice a day from the thing. I was skeptical at first since they are not cheap, but the way it has lasted, I am glad I did not get a cheaper model. Here is a link.

https://firstbuild.com/products/opal/
Displaced Alaskans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 04:50 PM   #15
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We bought a new Fridgeidare yesterday from Walmart - $99. Says it makes 2 sizes. I can't tell much difference in large or small. I think the lg stay frozen longer. 7 minutes to make 9 small or 15 mins to make 9 large about the size of your thumb, with a hole in the middle. Machine looks well made. Has a drain plug in the bottom to drain everything.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 05:42 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by whutfles View Post
We bought a new Fridgeidare yesterday from Walmart - $99. Says it makes 2 sizes. I can't tell much difference in large or small. I think the lg stay frozen longer. 7 minutes to make 9 small or 15 mins to make 9 large about the size of your thumb, with a hole in the middle. Machine looks well made. Has a drain plug in the bottom to drain everything.
Same one here. Good machine. Ice is crunchy which I really like. Full time for over a year, runs full time, no issues.
We have ice maker in Residential fridge that makes the half moon ice but prefer to use bottle water in the counter top model. We only use the residential for coolers in the summer.
We are remodeling our sticks and bricks in Arkansas and I am such a fan of Sonic flake ice that I plan on installing a $3,000 ice maker in the kitchen there! Hard to beat the flake ice if you like a crunchy eatable ice.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:25 AM   #17
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
Can't remember the particular model, but ours has worked great. We got it for our boat when we were still motoryachting ..Now in the landyacht. DI'd learn from another RV friend to have it make the largest cubes possible. They now last as long as the cocktail. Good hunting to you.
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:23 PM   #18
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Got ours at on sale at Lowe's about 3 years ago for $69.99 still works great.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
Mosnowman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #19731
I may be in the minority here, but it has it’s faults as well. Like others mentioned, it makes ice quickly similar to hotel ice machines. It isn’t very dense, and it will recycle almost constantly. We found it to be a bit noisy since it runs most of time considering the ice melts somewhat quickly. Like someone else mentioned it isn’t a freezer to hold ice. Bottom line is will recycle the ice over and over if you don’t empty it and refill. We have a residential refrigerator and buy bag ice and store it in our large freezer. We don’t use ours anymore.
Mosnowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosnowman View Post
I may be in the minority here, but it has it’s faults as well. Like others mentioned, it makes ice quickly similar to hotel ice machines. It isn’t very dense, and it will recycle almost constantly. We found it to be a bit noisy since it runs most of time considering the ice melts somewhat quickly. Like someone else mentioned it isn’t a freezer to hold ice. Bottom line is will recycle the ice over and over if you don’t empty it and refill. We have a residential refrigerator and buy bag ice and store it in our large freezer. We don’t use ours anymore.
If you mean "dense" as in hard solid ice, then you may well be running contrary in preference to a lot of us who like ice that is soft, crunchy and edible. To me at least the soft "flake" ice you get at many Sonic drive ins is the best ice on the planet. So much so that I plan to spend $3K on an ice machine that makes it during our sticks and bricks kitchen remodel!!

You are right though that the countertop models are somewhat noisy and do run constantly. But I don't think they use much electricity (not that I care about that).
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote